ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Injector ultrasonic cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2017, 03:24 PM
scoobidy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector ultrasonic cleaning

I have a set of injectors that I need ultrasonic cleaned before I install them. Does anyone have any recommendations of who to use?

Thanks
Old 22 April 2017, 03:33 PM
Whit80
Scooby Regular

I know Lateral performance do it, i used Injectortune.
Actually used their ebay listing to get mine cleaned/tested, quick turnaround, provide full report etc
Old 22 April 2017, 05:01 PM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Look up a place called CP Fuel Injection, Cliff charged me £55 to flow test, re-seal/balance my injectors including insured return post.
Old 22 April 2017, 06:43 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Injectortune are excellent, mine came back like new, after being ripped off by an ASNU agent in Southbourne.
Old 24 April 2017, 05:53 PM
scoobidy
Scooby Regular

Excellent thanks for the recommendation's, it's given me a couple of places to try.
Old 24 April 2017, 07:09 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rickybobby
Look up a place called CP Fuel Injection, Cliff charged me £55 to flow test, re-seal/balance my injectors including insured return post.
Cliff is a great guy and was recommended to me by Asnu who manufactur not only injectors but they also make the injector testing equipment. I got him to test mine after an engine failure last year. They came back spot on, I just wanted to be 100% sure they were all good
Old 24 April 2017, 07:51 PM
Amclaussen
Scooby Newbie

Default Proper Injector cleaning is NOT Replaceable by any other method!

Refrain from using the popular (and almost useless) injector cleaners that come in small bottles. They only increase the gasoline detergency slightly, which, by the way is highly undesirable(!) as it softens any gum deposits from the fuel tank and piping, and get it ready to be redeposited at the fuel pressure regulator or the injector's tips, which can plug more easily. the "injector cleaner" will make it easier for gums and other deposits to pass across the fuel filter, only to redeposit farther away.

The BEST and ONLY recommended procedure is to REMOVE the injectors from the engine and take them to a well equipped cleaning lab, where the proper technician will inspect, electrically measure, and flow test them before and after cleaning in an ultrasonic bath. Then the technician should replace the microfilters and replace the O-Rings and retest the cleaned injectors in order to check if they shut-off the fuel at pressure and prevent any leaking or dripping. ANY OTHER "cleaning procedure" will only transport dirt from the tank to the injectors. AVOID at all costs the use of solvent injector"cleaning" that burns the solvent with the engine running from a canister or cartridge: the solvents used are very carbon-rich (Xylene or Toluene types) and will guarantee a heavy sparkplug fouling, O2 sensor fouling and cat converter fouling. Best Regards, Amclaussen.

Last edited by Amclaussen; 24 April 2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 25 April 2017, 08:45 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Is this the right thread to post my pikey back flush injector cleaning setup?

replacing all seals, filters and cleaning them for 14 quid..

I plan on hooking them up to a diy flow tester as well, so we'll see how close to original flow they get eventually. Unfortunately I don't have pre-cleaning flow rates, but I really don't think there's much rocket science to this provided that the injectors are open and flushing is done backwards.

Old 25 April 2017, 07:58 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrik
Is this the right thread to post my pikey back flush injector cleaning setup?

replacing all seals, filters and cleaning them for 14 quid..

I plan on hooking them up to a diy flow tester as well, so we'll see how close to original flow they get eventually. Unfortunately I don't have pre-cleaning flow rates, but I really don't think there's much rocket science to this provided that the injectors are open and flushing is done backwards.

Old 26 April 2017, 03:03 PM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Lateral performance.
Old 27 April 2017, 10:07 PM
Amclaussen
Scooby Newbie

Wynn's carb cleaner is made with generic solvents, like Xylene and toluene. Some injector residues are not really cleaned with those aromatic solvents. The best cleaning comes from submerging the injector in an Ultrasonic bath with a special for ultrasonic water based solvent, that works as a detergent. Aromatic solvents only dissolve some gums, but not other kinds of dirt. While backflushing is somewhat helpful, hard deposits won't always be removed. Sometimes, a simple backflushing appears to be effective, but given that most injectors have several extremely small orifices, it can happen that say, 3 of the 4 orifices allow backflow, but then the spraying pattern is not restored. As I said, a proper and complete laboratory cleaning and testing is the proper way to go. YMMV. Amclaussen.

Last edited by Amclaussen; 27 April 2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 27 April 2017, 11:15 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Amclaussen
Wynn's carb cleaner is made with generic solvents, like Xylene and toluene. Some injector residues are not really cleaned with those aromatic solvents. The best cleaning comes from submerging the injector in an Ultrasonic bath with a special for ultrasonic water based solvent, that works as a detergent. Aromatic solvents only dissolve some gums, but not other kinds of dirt. While backflushing is somewhat helpful, hard deposits won't always be removed. Sometimes, a simple backflushing appears to be effective, but given that most injectors have several extremely small orifices, it can happen that say, 3 of the 4 orifices allow backflow, but then the spraying pattern is not restored. As I said, a proper and complete laboratory cleaning and testing is the proper way to go. YMMV. Amclaussen.
all the business's recommended in this thread clean ultrasonically, test flow before and after, replace baskets and seals, and test electronically.
Old 28 April 2017, 08:05 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
all the business's recommended in this thread clean ultrasonically, test flow before and after, replace baskets and seals, and test electronically.
I think he's referring to my setup

Im building an injector flow tester as well to see how balanced the injectors are.
Old 28 April 2017, 03:14 PM
Amclaussen
Scooby Newbie

Yes! Years ago I tried to clean injectors with more or less the same setup as HENRIK . It was partially effective, but at least it didn't completely trash the sparkplugs like the Wynn's system (that injects a solvent that is burned in the running engine)...

In those years (pre-90's), I met a gentleman that was the commercial representant of Wynn's at an automotive Expo here in Mexico City. After several meetings, he gave me a full assortment of their products for me to test them, because of my job at a large R&D center: gasoline additives, oil additives, cleaners for carbs, intake manifolds and throttle bodies, together with a nice equipment for attaching their injector cleaning system, consisting of a pressurized can full of cleaner, pressure regulator and hoses, and a very complete set of adapters for almost any brand of oriental, european and american automobiles.

In those years, the very dirty engines fed by overly large carburettors accumulated a lot of carbon deposits, so large that actual compression ratio went up and produced preignition and detonation. IN THOSE ENGINES, the Wynn's cleaning system definitely removed some carbon... but left its own soot or "****" on the sparkplugs ceramic. It meant a plug change was necessary; even clean-as-new plugs were left covered in soot. The "cleaning" produced enormous clouds of whitish smoke that caused protests from my neighbors! The engine missed and shaked badly during the "cleaning" and required a high speed run to "clean" the sparkplugs free of carbon, that the same "cleaner" was leaving on them.
In 1991 I started to service Fuel Injection cars as a second income, working on saturdays and some sundays. I concluded that the Wynn's setup was of little use when dealing with F.I. cars that did not had the heavy carbon deposits that large carburetted cars produced, and that I had to get an extra set of sparkplugs for every tune-up, as the damn setup was fouling the set during the "cleaning", and that the injectors were only partially cleaned: some cars achieved good results, but others didn't. After many months I tried to clean the injectors by hand and decided to sell the Winn's system T tried a simple setup almost like the one HENRIK uses, but Murphy appeared and gave me a lesson: Never feed a full 12 Volt to a Fuel Injector meant for 5 volts, unless you want to risk damaging its coil !...

I used compressed air to blow back the injector in addition to the cleaner from the spray can, and rigged up some means to actually feed the cleaner in the normal direction in order to see the spray pattern, but it was messy and wasted a lot of cleaner!

After all those attempts, I resorted to take the injectors to a good lab (not all do perform the complete steps) and never experienced a faulty or partly fouled injector again.

Lately I've been thinking about buying a small Ultrasonic cleaner to service the injectors at home, but have not found a powerful enough inexpensive model yet, and buying a small 6 or cyl Ultrasonic cleaning machine goes around $300 USD here. Maybe one of these days...
Old 28 April 2017, 03:31 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

can happily flow test & sort as well as potentially repair or modify...........
Old 23 May 2017, 02:24 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

How much to test?