Help finding history / first reg date etc of Japan import

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2017, 11:42 AM
RallyInfo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help finding history / first reg date etc of Japan import

Hi folks,

Last year I bought a car from New Zealand (car is originally from Japan) and would like to try to find some background info about it...

It has a 9 digit VIN which seems to cause some trouble with the various VIN decoders out there. That said, partsouq was able to give me a precise date which I assume is either the build date or first registration date - not sure which. Also, the VIN checker on Auto Trader Japan shows the 'production month'.

To register the car in the UK, DVLA would like proof of its first registration date to give it an appropriate age related number, otherwise it will go on a Q plate which I'd rather avoid. I'm not sure if they will accept the details provided by partsouq & Auto Trader Japan.

I tried CarVX as well but they say there's "no data for the car in the Japanese motor vehicle department database" and "Even the manufacturer's (SUBARU) system provides no information on it."

Does anyone have any other suggestions to try to get the info from a source that DVLA is likely to accept?

Thanks,

Jonathan
Old 19 April 2017, 12:12 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

go to www.type-ra.com and sign up and ask on there.

Info you get on here will most likely been from google
Old 19 April 2017, 01:03 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 279 Likes on 249 Posts

MOT it on the six digit Vin number (I take it you are including the GC8------)register it with the DVLA job done. They will issue you with a new number plate not a Q plate.
Old 19 April 2017, 01:26 PM
RallyInfo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
go to www.type-ra.com and sign up and ask on there.

Info you get on here will most likely been from google
Thanks, will try that

Originally Posted by 1509joe
MOT it on the six digit Vin number (I take it you are including the GC8------)register it with the DVLA job done. They will issue you with a new number plate not a Q plate.
Unfortunately they sent the documents back requesting proof of when it was first registered.
Old 19 April 2017, 02:11 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All cars come with a 9 Digit vin from Japan, The prefix GDD-123456.

What model is it?
Old 19 April 2017, 02:58 PM
RallyInfo
Scooby Regular

Hi Immy...it's a Legacy. Have the VIN which confirms everything the car is supposed to be in terms of colour/engine etc etc. Would like to find something that confirms the first registration date...anything else would be a bonus.
Old 19 April 2017, 03:34 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 279 Likes on 249 Posts

Did you not get a de registration certificate when you imported it? All jap cars have a six number vin the first three are model codes. MOT it on the six digit Vin number (I take it you are including the GC8------)register it with the DVLA job done. They will issue you with a new number plate not a Q plate.IE GC8,GDB. Have you the NOVA form and associated paperwork. You should be able to trace it with them. If you need help PM me were not far from you.
Old 19 April 2017, 05:07 PM
RallyInfo
Scooby Regular

Probably been made a bit more complicated as I bought the car from New Zealand. It left Japan a number of years ago (no idea when - could have been 20 years ago for all I know) which is making life a bit more difficult. Car was MOT'd etc just after I got it last year (it has taken me this long to get my act together to register it) but DVLA would like some sort of documentation to show age. Apart from lots of receipts for work done, there wasn't much info with regards to first registration dates etc from NZ. There's nothing of note on the de-reg document.

I'll try DVLA again with the snippets of info that I now have but won't hold my breath!
Old 19 April 2017, 07:55 PM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

https://carvx.jp

Japanese HPI check in case you need details of when it was exported from Japan
Old 19 April 2017, 07:57 PM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry just read that you've already tried carvx!
Old 19 April 2017, 08:05 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I take it you havent got the original v5 from Japan which is how it would get registered in the uk. THe only other way would be if the DVLA have given you a list of clubs / main dealers they reccomend to contact and send them the vin tag and chassis number pics from which they can confirm the date of manufacture and supply you with a letter / certificate that the DVLA will accept as proof of manufacture date.