Sponsored by:

Looking for people with version 5 or 6 Impreza's

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2002, 10:17 AM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear All,

I’m looking for somebody who has a version 5 (or 6) WRX (STI, Type R or RA or whatever doesn’t matter).
I’m still trying to buy a double DIN CD&MD player for my MY’99 Euro spec Impreza, but unfortunately they only have space for a single DIN.
So, here’s my question:
If I buy a middle console panel (only the border piece that surrounds the entire middle console, from the heater controls down to the ashtray) from a Japanese Impreza, would it fit on mine?
I know I would have to relocate the 3 buttons for “Bright” (useless anyway), headlamp adjuster & water spray, that would be a minor problem) The main problem is: Is the panel, where the heater controls are located on a jap Impreza the same size as on a UK or European one? I know the buttons are different, as the Jap ones don’t have those 2 levers for air re-circulating and strength, but I’m just talking about the support that keeps those controls in place and the border piece that surrounds them.

It’s difficult to explain in words, photos would probably easier to supplement, but I would be extremely glad if somebody could help me with that matter. If someone could start by sending me a close-up photo of the middle console (from the heater vents to the ashtray) from their Jap Impreza, would already be a good start.

Email me offline if you’re willing to help me further.

Thanks a lot,
Ramon
Old 13 June 2002, 02:59 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Oh, yeah...sure, sorry I forgot, of course noone has a WRX version 5......

Sorry for that!!!
Old 13 June 2002, 03:10 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I have a V6 WRX RA My00 and I have a clarion double din unit in. ADZ5555s I think, the one with the remote control. The guys who installed it had to remove the tray thing underneath but then it dropped straight in.

My car doesnt have a bright button, water spray or headlamp washer though and has air con and its a WRC blue console.

I can photograph it and post tonight

[Edited by chrisp - 6/13/2002 3:12:55 PM]

[Edited by chrisp - 6/13/2002 3:15:01 PM]
Old 13 June 2002, 03:27 PM
Crispin
Scooby Regular

Chris - where did you get your beast from? I'm thinking about a V6 RA V Limited......

thx
Old 13 June 2002, 06:44 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I got the car from a local garage over 18 months ago but they brought it off another garage who imported it (I think) so I was the first owner but it had been to a couple of garages. The garage I brought it off doesnt really deal with imprezas but I think they took one to see how well they sold. You are better talking to Ian Litchfield as he seems to be able to get most cars/specs.

Pictures as promised :

Cheers

ChrisP

[Edited by chrisp - 6/13/2002 6:45:48 PM]
Old 13 June 2002, 08:09 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Chrisp,

Thanks a lot, that is exactly what I needed!!!
I tried to email you, but somehow I don't have the option to email you....
Anyway, now I'm almost sure that by buying the surround of the middle console (the thingy thats is blue in your car) and rearranging the 2 headlamp controls and removing the bright button, I can install a double DIN, with evtl. some minor modification in the inside of the middle console.

Chrisp, just one more favor to ask you, if you have time and meet a mate with an '99 UK Impreza, can you please check if the "plate" that holds the heater controls are the same size as on an UK Impreza....?

I'll post some pictures of my interior too, so if anybody has suggestions/ or opinions, feel free...

Thanks so much,
Ramon
Old 13 June 2002, 08:44 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

You have mail
Old 13 June 2002, 09:08 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

The Aussie MY99/00s (not STIs, but plain turbos) have that double DIN space but with the UK specced car heater control buttons, with the 2 levers for air re-circulating and strength. I don't think you would need to touch the heater section. I think it is seperate to the section you want. So if you only buy the border piece that surrounds the entire middle it should fit.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

[Edited by WREXY - 6/13/2002 9:10:44 PM]
Old 13 June 2002, 09:22 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Thank you WRexy,
I didn't know that Aussie-spec Impreza's had the same heater control like in Europe.
Where could I get a surround from Australia? Any addresses or web sites?
I post pictures of my interior below, just for people that are interested to do the same as I want to do.
As far as I'm concerned, a surround from a japanese Impreza it should also fit. The heater control surround in Chrisp's car seems to be slightly different as it looks like "stairs" whereas the Euro-one just "slides" inwards. In general the euro surround looks like standing out more than the japanese one. I'm just concerned that for the heater controls there's a slight difference in size, what do you guys think?

Well, long text, just compare the pics, you'll see what I mean.....
If anybody thinks that it does NOT work, please tell me.
Thanks,
Ramon

Old 13 June 2002, 11:33 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Yep, you're right it does stick out. The Aussie one doesn't stick out either, but it should fit, I have a feeling the bright button etc is the reason it sicks out and not cos of the heater controls. Her's a pic of an Aussie one. I haven't got a better one.

Try MRT in Australia they may be able to get you one.

http://www.mrtrally.com.au/

Cheers,

wrexy.
Old 14 June 2002, 06:00 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Thanks Wrexy for your reply.
I received the dimensions of the jap heater controls from Chrisp and they match with my heater control, even the turn ***** are the same size as the European one, although on the picture it seems that the jap ones are smaller.
Actually, on my car, the panel that holds the bright button & the 2 headlamp controls are attached to the surround frame, although, the buttons can be easily removed from the panel by pushing them backwards, so just the holes remain in the panel.

However, I don't think the surround stands out because of the bright button...? Anyway, I'm looking forwards to soon adopt my Panasonic CQ-VX7700D double DIN headunit!!

Thanks for your all your help,
Ramon
Old 14 June 2002, 10:22 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

I found something that shows all the components the dashboard is made of, looks like Part Numer #14 is what I need, however 16 looks like the ashtray but what is 15?? Looks like the piece that stays when putting a single DIN Radio?

Ramon
Old 15 June 2002, 02:51 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Ramon,

I think #15 is what was removed on mine to get the double din unit in. If it is its just an open plastic tray for tape, cds, coins etc. Anyway heres the picture of the tray that was taken out of mine. As you can see form the pictures it just screws in from both sides.

Cheers

ChrisP

[Edited by chrisp - 6/15/2002 2:54:19 PM]
Old 15 June 2002, 05:34 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Thanks Chris,

That's what I thought, it's just a storage box.
I'm tempted to order from those guys

http://www.1stsubaruparts.com/

but I liked the silver color one on WRexy's car, I'll try to get one in Japan next time, however the blue one on your Type RA also looks good.....

Thanks,
Ramon
Old 15 June 2002, 07:48 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Dear All,

If anybody is interested in seeing an english description of the CD/Md unit I want to buy, here it is, you can even buy from them, although the price is higher than in Japan....

http://www.andale.com/stores/sf_home.jsp?mode=1&sfUrl=themeltingpot

Ramon