Turbo boost pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2017, 01:45 PM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo boost pipes

Hello everyone.

Please forgive my ignorance on this one, it's all new to me. Spent a little time this morning tarting up the engine bay and whilst at it cleaning the MAF and the boost solenoid valve. Whilst poking around I noticed a slight split in the end of one of my boost pipes leading from the solenoid to the the turbo. It's right at the end of the pipe so I don't think it's causing any harm by why not change it, the pipe is old and there's no harm in replacing it. Thing is, its the little pipe that T-splits to the right leading to just below the intercooler that has the split. Under close inspection you can feel something in the pipe, it's clearly supposed to be there, I'm thinking a restrictor, or maybe a support to stop the pipe collapsing under load, I don't know.

First of all can somebody clarify what it's for/why it's there and secondly can I simply replace the pipe for some standard same size vacuum piping or do I need the specific pipe as that bit does an important part.

Heres some photos that I hope show what I'm trying to describe :

The thing inside the pipe.
The pipe in question

by the by the way my car is a MY03 JDM STI.

Thanks, Binny
Old 04 April 2017, 01:54 PM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Here's where the pipe has come from :

Showing where the pipe goes from the turbo to the actuator with the T piece in between going to the boost solenoid.

I'm hoping the photo in the above post shows the restrictive part. The pipe it's in has a 4mm internal diameter but I think the restrictive part is only around 1mm.
Old 04 April 2017, 01:59 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Commonly know as a restictor pill and is necessary to help "control" boost in the standard setup with a two way boost solenoid valve.

You can replace the existing pipe with new silicon vacuum/boost pipe but need to transfer the pill over.

Name:  62c9f9a3.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  30.5 KB

Old 04 April 2017, 01:59 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

You are correct,restrictor pill,put it back in the new pipe and you're good to go
Old 04 April 2017, 02:05 PM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Thank you both. Exactly the info I needed.

next question though, do the pipes leading from the boost solenoid need to the exactly the right length as standard? I ask as it's only 2" of pipe that is split, can I cut 2" off the pipe from the side output of the solenoid that leads to the T piece and use that as the new pipe (transferring the restrictor pill)? I only ask as I've just been to 2 local car parts shops local and neither sell or can get that size piping and ideally I need it doing today!
Old 04 April 2017, 02:17 PM
TonyB300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, if you have enough spare. They are no precise length.
Old 04 April 2017, 02:28 PM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Thank you everyone.