Sponsored by:

Need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2017, 11:27 PM
scoobyman2007
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help asap

Hi I am having a bad day one of my anti roll bar supporting brackets at the rear has snapped on me and the other one is just as bad so I weant and got a new set and was taking off the old ones and 1 bolt on each of them snapped on me now I have been trying to drill them out and it's just not working now will drilling through the boot floor and the chassis to remove the nuts be ok and safe and not make a structural issues
Old 01 April 2017, 12:28 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

they are captive nuts , if the nuts are near a chassis hole , knock the nuts out and slide a nut and washer through the chassis holes and tighten up , it's not ideal going through the body if you don't have too, probably more rust wise , the bolts don't appear to be under heavy stress , is it possible to weld a nut some how , i used the chassis member hole on my fsti to cure the same problem , the other thing you said was drill and tap it if it works
Old 01 April 2017, 12:44 AM
scoobyman2007
Scooby Regular

Thanks but no there's no chassi hole near it it's the one under the fuel filler pipe
Old 01 April 2017, 07:28 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I think @The Rig had the same problem and came up with a solution,can't remember what it was tho?
Old 01 April 2017, 08:23 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

We've had 2 threads on this in the Last few months.
Old 01 April 2017, 08:59 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll need a hardened drill bit to drill it out... something like a tungsten carbide bit, or what ever the equivalent is these days... your average run of the mill drill bit will just snap... you'll also need to get at least 2 maybe 3 would be best and go up in stages , one that's significantly smaller so you can drill a small pilot hole for the bigger ones, and let the drill do the work, don't push it really hard or again it may snap.... it's always going to be a right PITA so just be patient and take your time.

And next time use plenty of "Penetrating" oil the day before you tackle a job like that.
Old 01 April 2017, 10:16 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Tungsten carbide drill bits are great, but if they snap you are royally screwed. They are also more likely to break imo than a good quality hss bit.

I've drilled bolts put before with a mixture of dewalt drill bits and cobalt bits (some swedish brand - can't remember name).

Also can you get to the screw head at all? If so, file a flat surface on it and centre punch it so the pilot drill doesn't wander off.

When drilling, use enough pressure for the bit to actually cut, not rub, as this will dull your bit out in short order, and also work harden the bolt if it's eg stainless steel.

I also do not like drilling with mains powered drills, at least not if they don't go slow enough. I think a lot of the issues people have with drilling bolts out is the fact that they drill too fast. Faster is not better, at least not for steels.

Trending Topics

Old 01 April 2017, 06:24 PM
scoobyman2007
Scooby Regular

Ok just to let you lot know I had to go from the top down as both the f--- things snap on me will have a o treat them and welded them back up thanks for your help boys
Old 01 April 2017, 06:41 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad you got it sorted , I had same issues but as it's sorted , no need for my woffling ol