Haywood & Scott or Milltek

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2017, 07:44 PM
PT82
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haywood & Scott or Milltek

Which would you choose?
Looking at both of these systems. I had a Milltek on my Mk1 Focus Rs. Never any experience with H&S. Both seem to have good reps.
I am leaning towards the H&S although looking at this:

https://www.haywardandscott.com/suba...ling-ring.html

The exact same thing is £12.95 on eBay as apposed to £39.60 from them. **** take
Old 19 March 2017, 07:56 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

£40 Is a joke considering a genuine Subaru one from ICP is only a tenner...

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...y=&searchPart=

Last edited by MattyB1983; 19 March 2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 19 March 2017, 08:01 PM
PT82
Scooby Regular

Horrific isn't it!
Who is the go to Milltek supplier around here?
Old 19 March 2017, 10:09 PM
Kaeo
Scooby Regular

I don't have much experience with miltek except a back box, but my last experience from h&s was very shoddy. Was a centre pipe with very low quality welds and sharp
edges. Wasn't impressed at all for something that cost over £150.
Old 20 March 2017, 12:07 AM
prodrive Michael
Scooby Newbie

I've had Hayward and Scott systems on 2 imprezas, very happy with quality and they sound fantastic, definitely recommend them.
Old 23 March 2017, 05:50 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Smile Zausts

I've had two H&S systems on previous Imprezas and highly recommend them.
Have had Cobra - poor design / cheapo and fell apart 🙄
Currently have Milltek - cheaply made pressed & welded boxes plus horrid sound. Even drones abut at 75 V expensive and wouldn't recommend. 🙃

I'd always go H&S you get quality and very good design too. They can make a system sound in any particular way with their skills. You'll not regret 😀
Old 23 March 2017, 06:29 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

No experience with single-scroll, but on a twin-scroll car I can assert that an H+S system sounds 1,000% better than Milltek.
Old 23 March 2017, 06:59 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

I had full milltek on mine total ****e build quality in my opinion it had rust coming on all over back box and mid pipe wasn't so far off swapped for a blitz nut spec never looked back since
Old 23 March 2017, 08:38 PM
PT82
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys. Been speaking to Ian at H&S and if my car doesn't have an aftermarket system when able to check upon clearing customs, will be getting a full turbo back sports cat system
Old 23 March 2017, 08:56 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Got cobra on mine and no issues 3years on
Old 23 March 2017, 09:04 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I 've had my 3" milltek on for 10 years, started with 315hp and all the way up to 507hp running Nos. I caught it on a ramp and it had a repair weld but always impressed with quality. Always well within the noise limits trackwise. Prehaps the later one's are not as good.
Trev
Old 27 March 2017, 07:57 PM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

When it comes to exhausts you really need to speak to the people fitting them daily.

I loved H&S and i've had them on both Classics and Blobs. However, their quality has gone right down hill. To the extent that their last one had to go back.

Miltek may have started not that great but that was a long time ago. They are now ridiculously expensive. For my Spec C hatch, if you total every part from the turbo back you're looking at nearly £2.5k.

I did mine slowly buying each bit at a time and got it all new but much cheaper.

When it came to fitting, my mechanic simply said, "Took no time at all, it probably fitted better than the original".

You get what you pay for - boring i know but....... Why pay a fortune for something that has dropped massively in standard.
Old 26 February 2018, 09:10 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Markfey
When it comes to exhausts you really need to speak to the people fitting them daily.

I loved H&S and i've had them on both Classics and Blobs. However, their quality has gone right down hill. To the extent that their last one had to go back.

Miltek may have started not that great but that was a long time ago. They are now ridiculously expensive. For my Spec C hatch, if you total every part from the turbo back you're looking at nearly £2.5k.

I did mine slowly buying each bit at a time and got it all new but much cheaper.

When it came to fitting, my mechanic simply said, "Took no time at all, it probably fitted better than the original".

You get what you pay for - boring i know but....... Why pay a fortune for something that has dropped massively in standard.
What system have you got fitted to yours and what does it sound like, are you happy with it?
Old 26 February 2018, 09:18 PM
andyf31
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.russfellowsfabrications.co.uk

I’d be tempted to get a custom one next time, I ended up with milltek 3” on my hawkeye as I couldn’t handle the blitz that was on my car but for my focus I’m seriously tempted by the ones this guy does.

Last edited by andyf31; 26 February 2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 26 February 2018, 09:38 PM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

Fpan.........
Couldn’t be happier. Got the Miltek turbo back.

Under 3500 revs it’s probably quieter than standard. It then starts growling but nothing too loud. Some may get want louder but it I’m really happy with it.

Sorry I couldn’t get your PM but not a paid member anymore.
Old 27 February 2018, 09:56 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markfey
Fpan.........
Couldn’t be happier. Got the Miltek turbo back.

Under 3500 revs it’s probably quieter than standard. It then starts growling but nothing too loud. Some may get want louder but it I’m really happy with it.

Sorry I couldn’t get your PM but not a paid member anymore.
Thanks.

Is a 2.0 JDM hatchback you drive or a 2.5 car?

Does anyone know what rpm the 2.0 hatch cruises at around 75/80?

Last edited by fpan; 27 February 2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 27 February 2018, 10:10 AM
PT82
Scooby Regular

Alot lol
Off hand I would say between 4 and 4.5k

Last edited by PT82; 27 February 2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 27 February 2018, 10:17 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PT82
Alot lol
Off hand I would say between 4 and 4.5k

Hmm, that seems to be on the high side. Does the car cruise 'off-boost' / low boost (<0.4 bar) at those speeds on light throttle?

The question is, are these cars comfortable as cruisers if needs be or do they become tiring due to the shorter gearing compared with a 2.5 car?

Last edited by fpan; 27 February 2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 27 February 2018, 10:28 AM
PT82
Scooby Regular

They ain't no motorway cruisers with the ratios they have imo buddy. Personally I'd become tired of it. I don't live anywhere near a motorway though and it's not a daily so doesn't affect me.
Can't comment on uk models.
Old 27 February 2018, 10:31 AM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

2.0 Jdm Spec C

These cars are not hard work and you can easily cruise in them.

On initial test drive I went from a modded classic on BCs and jumped in. I was like getting into an Audi S3. The only thing on mine that can catch you out is the quick rack
Old 27 February 2018, 10:35 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

I find the jdm gearing much easier to live with than the blob wagon that I had previously. Twinscroll pick up at 70/80 mph is instant, so it must be sitting on a bit of boost at that point.
I do find the sti back box drones at 70, so am still seriously considering a full titanium exhaust, but everyone who has had one says they burst eardrums. Shortlist is H and S or Infinity twin or single exit.
Old 27 February 2018, 10:44 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
I find the jdm gearing much easier to live with than the blob wagon that I had previously. Twinscroll pick up at 70/80 mph is instant, so it must be sitting on a bit of boost at that point.
I do find the sti back box drones at 70, so am still seriously considering a full titanium exhaust, but everyone who has had one says they burst eardrums. Shortlist is H and S or Infinity twin or single exit.
hedgecutter, what exhaust do you run in yours?
Old 27 February 2018, 10:59 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Currently has oem downpipe , hks center and sti back box; that's how it was imported.
Old 27 February 2018, 12:58 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Resonated or deresonated centre?
I test drove a S204 with exactly the same setup as yours (OEM downpipe, H&S centre section which if memory serves me right was deresonated and OEM backbox) and it sounded fantastic for my liking but then again that didn't involve an adequate motorway trip, or I was too excited and "filtered" out the droning, if there was any (I don't think there was).

Where abouts are you based?

I am about to import a JDM hatch but would like to know if I can live with its short gears as a daily.
Old 27 February 2018, 04:44 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

I'm guessing the centre is resonated as it's fairly quiet ; it's hks, not Hayward and Scott . If you can drive to Land's End you are welcome to hear it!
We use it daily, super fun on country roads, dull on motorway.
Old 27 February 2018, 05:41 PM
Big Tomm
Scooby Newbie

I have been consistently disappointed with Miltek over the years. My first one was on a Fiesta ZS then another on a newer ST. I was never overly convinced by the workmanship. A few years later I started working with a firm that does stainless steel fabrication, I then bought an R32 which had one already installed and the welds seemed poor however it did the job. Last summer a work colleague bought a Miltek Catback for his Mini GP and upon arrival it was missing welds, surprising that they was missed and then managed to get through quality control without being noticed. When we raised the issue with Miltek they did offer a replacement and a very generous discount on any other purchases, so the chap got a manifold and sports cat. Once again quality was questionable.

For the money I would go elsewhere as I have never been too impressed with the quality of them. However they’ve always sounded nice and fitted well.

Last edited by Big Tomm; 27 February 2018 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Iphone autocorrect
Old 27 February 2018, 06:37 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

H&s have some fitment issues from time to time, my downpipe fitted like ****, didn't clear properly.
Milltek are good quality sound, yes some say the quality doesn't last for long but the sound quality is hard to beat for a mature gentleman.
Or jetex/revolution als gets my vote.
Old 27 February 2018, 06:46 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fpan
Resonated or deresonated centre?
I test drove a S204 with exactly the same setup as yours (OEM downpipe, H&S centre section which if memory serves me right was deresonated and OEM backbox) and it sounded fantastic for my liking but then again that didn't involve an adequate motorway trip, or I was too excited and "filtered" out the droning, if there was any (I don't think there was).

Where abouts are you based?

I am about to import a JDM hatch but would like to know if I can live with its short gears as a daily.
From memory the Jdm 2.0 vs uk 6 speed is that the Jdm only has a shorter 6th gear hence the high revs on motorway
Old 27 February 2018, 07:10 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
H&s have some fitment issues from time to time, my downpipe fitted like ****, didn't clear properly.
Milltek are good quality sound, yes some say the quality doesn't last for long but the sound quality is hard to beat for a mature gentleman.
Or jetex/revolution als gets my vote.
Miltek are utter junk
My Jdm weld leaked on start up had pay 70 quid to repair the pipe
After paying an initial extra 50 to drill and tap a new rear lambda hole as it was ou by about two feet absolute joke
Old 27 February 2018, 07:16 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
I'm guessing the centre is resonated as it's fairly quiet ; it's hks, not Hayward and Scott . If you can drive to Land's End you are welcome to hear it!
We use it daily, super fun on country roads, dull on motorway.
I just realised what you wrote (HKS and not H&S). I wonder if the centre section makes it droney on motorways as I wouldn't think the OEM backbox would be.

In fact I was thinking of getting a HKS downpipe with sports catalyst, HKS centre section (can't tell from this pic whether it is resonated or not: https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/21850) and a backbox to be decided but after your comment regarding being droney I'll have to think about it again it seems.

Beautiful place, I visited Lands End many moons ago but it's a bit of a trek even from Berkshire at this time of year. Will let you know if I come down your way.

Alternatively, would it be possible to record a sound clip from within the cabin when cruising between 70/80?

I haven't been impressed with Miltek either, I had it in my FSTi, sounded great when opening it up but droned at motorway speeds up to 85/90 and the welds around the catalyst cracked only after 3 years.

I had a H&S centre section in my FSTi and it was OK but having seen what their downpipes look like (I mean, really?!), I wouldn't pay top dollar to an exhaust manufacturer that doesn't even have a pipe bender!

Thanks,

Last edited by fpan; 27 February 2018 at 07:22 PM.