Impreza type cs400

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2017, 03:03 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza type cs400

Yay or nay?

Bear with me on this one, I keep thinking why pay x amount on one when you can build a decent hatch STI for much less and have money left over. Or even have let's say....450/450 and still be quids in.

But I keep seeing the word "appreciating" being thrown about and I must admit it's got me wondering, would it be a sound investment? Are they going to go up in price?

There's the one that was on a thread the other day, it's about 40-50 miles from me. I seen another one, a red one and that may have been in Scotland as well but I'm not so sure. But I remember folk saying that it was overpriced, I don't have a clue, is it @ 29k??? They were 50k ish new.

The reason I purchased the hatch was to tie up some money, enjoy the car and maybe take it to 450/450 further down the line if I got bored, then enjoy it all over again at the new spec.

But in the long run I'll be losing money, but I was hoping not much. The hatch is coming up for 10yrs old and I'm thinking they've depreciated as much as they're going to, if they drop some more, it won't be anything like the last 10yrs.

It's just some ideas I'm throwing about my head, I reckon for sub 20k all in (which is including purchase cost) I'd have my hatch at 450/450 which makes me think it would be ludicrous to buy a hatch for 29k that has 400/400....but that hatch has the ability to go up in value, only 75 made.

**** knows.....just a thought

Last edited by Wull; 06 March 2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06 March 2017, 03:09 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

R205 for me
Old 06 March 2017, 03:16 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy
R205 for me

Don't add fuel to the fire, I'm bad enough with just one car to consider let alone another one.
Old 06 March 2017, 03:23 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

If your hatch is worth (say) £12k today, and you spend £8k on mods, you'd be lucky to get £15k for it even if you sold immediately, so I reckon you've lost £5k minimum right away, possibly more.

No-one knows how the market will unfold but as a limited edition I reckon your money is safer in a CS400 even factoring in the cost of the extra outlay up front.

If tying up £29k feels like too much, the alternative more sensible approach IMO is to buy a car that's already been modded, assuming you can find one that's been done to your standards and preferences.

Of course if buying a CS400 or a car that's already been modded you lose out on the enjoyment of doing the mods, which is the reason why most people are willing to pay the money.
Old 06 March 2017, 03:38 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

YAY. for the cs400 let's not forget the interior and all the other bits that make it a limited edition
Old 06 March 2017, 03:51 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

the seats are shíte in them mind, recovered standard STI seats. youd have thought theyd have at least used the recaros, no sat nav, no push button start etc

id still take one though in a heartbeat, id say they are save enough place for your money as long as you keep it standard and its a clean one

everything else, engine, suspension, exhaust, intake, brakes, wheels etc is what makes them, so wouldnt get too hung up on interior lacking
Old 06 March 2017, 03:53 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by plenty
If your hatch is worth (say) £12k today, and you spend £8k on mods, you'd be lucky to get £15k for it even if you sold immediately, so I reckon you've lost £5k minimum right away, possibly more.

No-one knows how the market will unfold but as a limited edition I reckon your money is safer in a CS400 even factoring in the cost of the extra outlay up front.

If tying up £29k feels like too much, the alternative more sensible approach IMO is to buy a car that's already been modded, assuming you can find one that's been done to your standards and preferences.

Of course if buying a CS400 or a car that's already been modded you lose out on the enjoyment of doing the mods, which is the reason why most people are willing to pay the money.

I'd never expect to get my money back, in fact if I got any of the money back that's been spent or that I will spend on mods then I'd be happy. In my mind if I got close to what I paid for the car then I'd be happy.

So far I'm almost 14k into the Hatch, it's got a decent spec and with a further 3-5k I believe I'd have an awesome road car with 450/450.

I've to go collect parts at the weekend from the garage that has the cosworth hatch so I'll maybe have a wee chat and have a look around it.
Old 06 March 2017, 05:14 PM
S204Darren
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy
R205 for me
I'm with this fella or a Spec C hatch/ 20th Anniversary
Old 06 March 2017, 06:46 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by S204Darren
I'm with this fella or a Spec C hatch/ 20th Anniversary
Plus 1
Old 06 March 2017, 07:04 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Only 75 CS400 made.
Old 06 March 2017, 07:17 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are much better ways to tie money up than putting it into a depreciating asset... but hey that's another story.

Problem with the Cs400 is to make money you'll have to bubble wrap it and leave it like that for 10yrs... I'd be more inclined to get one of the S / R models or a Spec C, they'll hold their money and as long as it's not been to the moon when you come to sell it or over mod it, then you'll get a good proportion of your money back.

CS400 is over priced if you ask me, but hey it's your money.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 06 March 2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06 March 2017, 07:33 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
There are much better ways to tie money up than putting it into a depreciating asset... but hey that's another story.

Problem with the Cs400 is to make money you'll have to bubble wrap it and leave it like that for 10yrs... I'd be more inclined to get one of the S / R models or a Spec C, they'll hold their money and as long as it's not been to the moon when you come to sell it or over mod it, then you'll get a good proportion of your money back.

CS400 is over priced if you ask me, but hey it's your money.
My main point or question in the top post was "will it appreciate"......I'm the last person who would choose to tie money up in a 20-30k car that will depreciate, that's one of the main reasons I stayed well clear of any new motors.
Old 06 March 2017, 08:43 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wull
My main point or question in the top post was "will it appreciate"......I'm the last person who would choose to tie money up in a 20-30k car that will depreciate, that's one of the main reasons I stayed well clear of any new motors.
I'd say not for some time to come yet, they're still on the way down IMO and don't forget at £29k there's going to be a reasonable dealer mark up in that price... so I'd imagine you'll be in the region of £5k out of pocket immediately... that said I doubt reasonable milage ones will drop to much less than about £18k before they start to rise... but the rise is a good few years off yet.

I think there's a market for them... but it's more people that have more money than Subaru knowledge... for that sort of outlay you'll probably do better financially buying 2/3 cars and moth balling one or using them in turn so as not to clock up too many miles... Type R / RA, Spec C, S202 etc is where my money would go.
Old 07 March 2017, 12:18 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am thinking of selling my R205, I am in two minds to put this 2.35 stroker in her.
Old 07 March 2017, 01:17 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by juggers
I am thinking of selling my R205, I am in two minds to put this 2.35 stroker in her.

I'll go have a nose just in case you do decide to sell.
Old 07 March 2017, 02:17 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

How much do you want for the 2.35 bottom end pm if you like
Old 07 March 2017, 06:47 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

I popped through to collect the parts I had ordered for the hatch and I couldn't find the cosworth at all.

So went back inside and asked where it was.......they sold it a try the weekend there to a fella from London.

I was looking forward to seeing it, there's one in Ayr so I might take a drive down at the weekend for a nose.

P.s they sold it for £28,500 in the end up, it was advertised at 29k.

Last edited by Wull; 07 March 2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07 March 2017, 09:37 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
How much do you want for the 2.35 bottom end pm if you like
I am not selling the bottom end......had an itch to build a stroker for a while. The only way I'd part with the stroker is if I got close to what paid for all the parts. I gone for all the RCM stuff and a Billet crank to
Old 07 March 2017, 10:13 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

How come the change of heart? I thought you were full steam ahead with the build
Old 08 March 2017, 01:36 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
How come the change of heart? I thought you were full steam ahead with the build
I will continue to build the long engine, but just think it might be better off going into a standard Hatch or Hawk as opposed to a special edition. I don't know it's a tough one. I think it would be a naughty motor with the 2.35 stroker and 500/600BHP.
Old 08 March 2017, 07:20 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

I will continue to build the long engine, but just think it might be better off going into a standard Hatch or Hawk as opposed to a special edition. I don't know it's a tough one. I think it would be a naughty motor with the 2.35 stroker and 500/600BHP.
Build it then sell it to me
Old 08 March 2017, 09:38 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

it would be a beast, but would it be an R205?. You have massive experience in selling rarer models, so probably know best if punters want original or heavily modded. If it is a keeper this time, do what you want. I'm fairly sure that all of us that have bought in GR spec C's recently specifically wanted originality, which is actually quite rare. Who on here would buy a modified cs400 over an original one?
Old 08 March 2017, 09:50 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
it would be a beast, but would it be an R205?. You have massive experience in selling rarer models, so probably know best if punters want original or heavily modded. If it is a keeper this time, do what you want. I'm fairly sure that all of us that have bought in GR spec C's recently specifically wanted originality, which is actually quite rare. Who on here would buy a modified cs400 over an original one?

Well this is it right here ^^

I used to turn my nose up at anything more than a stage 1 remap and exhaust for special editions. I will let fate decide and put it up for sale if she sells before the engine is built they so be it. If not then ....
The CS400 has a naughty spec engine, from what I have heard a remap, intercooler and bigger turbo will support 500/600 no messing with engine internals.
Old 08 March 2017, 09:51 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

not sure who would buy a modified one but owners are defo modifying them as i bought a full set of CS400 coilovers from a guy who put BC's in his instead
Old 08 March 2017, 10:08 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Gambit
not sure who would buy a modified one but owners are defo modifying them as i bought a full set of CS400 coilovers from a guy who put BC's in his instead
Were the originals knackered? That's bizarre, but easier to correct than a full on 2.35.
Old 08 March 2017, 10:39 AM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

At £29k you're very close cost-wise to a late-ish A45 AMG (ref. Pistonheads).
The word on the later model is that the handling and power delivery are much improved over early examples.

A modest amount of reputable tuning should see you easily over the 400bp mark.

With the benefit of badge, luxury and slowing depreciation one of these MIGHT offer a better prospect for long term appreciation.

Just a thought.
Old 08 March 2017, 12:32 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Were the originals knackered? That's bizarre, but easier to correct than a full on 2.35.
The fronts only where listed on ebay and never sold, i then asked about the rears, he said they where shot so done a deal for the full set after i found out Bilstein would refurb for £80 a shock. When they arrived i literally give them a dry brush & wipe and they came up like this - all working 100% no leaks etc, fitted just over 6mth now

honestly they are an absolutely amazing setup on the roads!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cleanup.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	22321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cosworth_suspension.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	22322  
Old 08 March 2017, 05:46 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular