Sponsored by:

Some of you are complete prats

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2001, 09:43 PM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
... what are you trying to prove????

in the last two days I have encountered two of you that seem to have a death wish...

so why???

you know what these cars are not infalible... I proved it.... slow down... it's not worth the effort... and hey you in the silver scoob ... nice manouvre around the lorry in Wokingham.. but not clever...there are cameras everywhere... so what you got there before me... yahoo...!!!

think about it...

[This message has been edited by Black Cat (edited 15 May 2001).]
Old 15 May 2001, 09:48 PM
Leigh
Scooby Regular

Question

What makes you think they are members on here???
We don't all drive like we have a deathwish!
Old 15 May 2001, 09:53 PM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

Hey Leigh
Maybe you don't... good for you...

but I've been driving a scoob for 6 years and I have seen it change from a car that needs respect... to a car that is quickly going to the next boy racer generation... and you know what... it's loosing it's cred... quicly....
Old 15 May 2001, 10:00 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Hear hear
Old 15 May 2001, 10:05 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Penni

I'm not sure your choice of title was appropriate.

There are morons driving every make of car there is.

All the best

Simon
Old 15 May 2001, 10:23 PM
0NeVeTas0
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

Penni,

I've had mine for 3 years now. Southend seafront has recently aquired 'cruisers' generally early WRX models, LOUD dump valves and bass boxes. So yes I aggree the mob have got their hands on the car.However that's not really suprises considering you can pick them up for 4-6k.

However I brought mine at 18 and did respect it.They were very scarse cars back then,you had a sence of pride to drive it.

It's like everything in life, there are To**ers out there...

--
Steve
steve@nevetas.com
Old 15 May 2001, 10:34 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Hope it doesn't get like that here in Greece. The rexes'are very scarce here. Different story in Oz though, Sydney and Melbourne that is. Its alot like Steve described in his post.

WREXY.

Trending Topics

Old 16 May 2001, 12:04 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'm not sure if I like being referred to as a complete prat.
When I'm at work in my suit, white shirt and tie I'm quite sensible.
I'm only a prat when I'm out driving, so really I'm a partial prat, not a complete prat.
And I also slow down on blind corners and make sure there's bags of room to overtake - so I'd probably better qualify as a reasonably sensible partial prat.

regards
Old 16 May 2001, 12:09 AM
Stelios
Scooby Regular

Hey I am bold Boost II! In my part of the world (Greece) with the same amount of cash (car costs GBP 22,000 new) people buy used Z3s, TT, and SLKs. Well I can tell u 90% of them cant drive!Specially in our roads ie slipperry/bumpy/unpredictable! Try and go fast in a rwd car here! My point is that if u like fast B-road driving dont care abt image (the impreza is by all stnds very ugly) then buy one
Old 16 May 2001, 12:11 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

So you experience some bad Scooby driving and then come on here and say some of us are prats???
Charming....
Perhaps the 'Was it You?' forum would be a better place to let off steam?

Stef.
Old 16 May 2001, 12:27 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Cool

Speaking as a young Impreza driver. (one of the youngest on here bar a few new pups) I can safely say that if your young and you drive a scoob, your branded with the rule that actually "You are a complete nuisance"

I fought long and hard to get insured on my scoob, I also took the IAM test and passed to prove to my insurance company that I was that little bit safer on the road. I do often wonder how some others manage to insure theirs, but hey-who cares they get to enjoy what we enjoy!

In my first year of driving, I did 56,000 miles in my first golf.

In my second year, I did 65,000 miles commuting whilst working for my old firm.

In my third year, I only managed 40,000 miles and now the mileage is becoming slightly less.

Amongst those miles, I covered some serious motorway trips, saw some grim accidents actually happen where I remained to help out the emergency services and I also did some extensive driving abroad. I can say that the only factor that makes the younger generation drive safer is gaining more experience on the road and seeing just how dangerous people can be behind the wheel of these cars. (in fact, any car)

Youngsters have a name for being dangerous. I heard a great quote the other day from an insurance company who said "people over the age of 50 are less likely to have an accident" well, thats not rocket science, they don't drive as much and there is a greater population of youngsters on the road than 50+ men and women.

So why are we tarnished with this same brush, its simple, people resent the fact that youngsters nowadays CAN get good jobs, CAN earn good money, and DO spend it on things they want. Just make sure you drive withing your ability. Otherwise its goodnight for good.

It could be worst, we could live in the USA and be able to spend our cash on Guns. Now there is an intresting debate........

For all those scooby drivers who have not done something silly in their scoob, take a bow...I have a funny feeling the only bowing that will be done is by those who are 50+ (according to statistics)

Ronnie
Old 16 May 2001, 10:13 AM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Penni, nice to know you are still around! Did you sell the little black beast or have you still got it?

Tim
Old 16 May 2001, 10:51 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

I too have been driving Turbo's for 5 years - on my third now (STi)
Not only is there now youngsters able to get into them - driving like loonies & giving us all a bad name (how do they afford the insurance ?) but I have noticed a change in other drivers. a couple of years ago the Scooby was the best kept secret around - people wouldn't give it a second glace. Nowdays I get tailgated/hassled etc everywhere I go. While I don't really mind when on my own - often my 2 baby girls are with me & its a real concern.
So much so that I am thinking of getting something else which is a shame.

Ro
Old 16 May 2001, 11:23 AM
tizard99
Scooby Regular

I agree, it seems we have some new generations of impreza owners, those 20 year olds who have rich daddies (who has nothing better to do than drive a 30 grand P1 around Southend seafront on a Saturday night?) and the company car drivers who don't wave and have no real passion for the car.

I own one as I like so much about it and it has excellent Torque and is so sure footed, not because it's fashionable.

Trev.
Old 16 May 2001, 11:27 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

I go along with all this - I have been driving them for 5 years and as you say they used to be a well kept secret. They were driven by enthusiasts and we were all very proud - hence the waving etc.

Seems all Impreza drivers are getting the reputation of being boy racer, fluffy dice hanging, dangers to other roadusers and I am sick of it.

I really love my car but insurance is getting worse and worse as more and more Imprezas are destroyed - we'll see what happens at renewal but maybe I will bail out !
Old 16 May 2001, 11:35 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Angry

Actually it sounds like you lot are the Prats!

I can't imagine selling a car because somebody you don't like drives one! I bought an Impreza because it was a fantastic lump of metal and drove so well, not because it would make me look cool. If I see a complete geek in a desirable car I don't assume he must be supercool, I just think nice car. You wanted your Scooby to have "cred" but now everyone acknowledges that you have a good car and it starts attracting attention you get annoyed. If you want a car that is only driven by an elite few you were stupid to buy a mass produced £20,000 Jap. model. If you don't want to attract the attention of "undesirables" then you were stupid to get a car with a massive spoiler and bonnet scoop, which is a stereotype for a schoolboy fantasy. It sounds to me like you have just all grown out of your Scooby driving years and its time to join the BMW/Merc crew. Anyway most Scooby's I see are still driven by fat, bald middle aged men - they don't do much for the credability of the car either. Get of your high horses - your cars are just the same now as they ever were and if you have suddenly stopped liking them it is you that has changed. I quite like it when I go to the garage and a gang of kids come over and start shouting "Nice car, mate" - it is better than driving around feeling smug because nobody knows what your car is.
Old 16 May 2001, 11:56 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well said Black cat......These are fast cars, and should be treated with respesct, If any of you need proof what can happen when things do go **** up look in the gallery At poor Pbones accident, and before any of you jump to conclucions Pete was not travelling that fast when it happened, BUT my point is you don't have to be. I should know I was right behind him when it happened. : eek :
Old 16 May 2001, 11:57 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

I love my car being noticed too, I just don't want the youngsters doing crazy things in car parks giving the police excuses to target and pull over WRX etc drivers. In OZ I couldn't go anywhere without being pulled over every weekend in my Falcon GT V8, cause once the boy races started buying these cars, they used to do burnouts everywhere and then it was all over for the rest of us, who were genuine enthusiasts and a lot of us in car clubs too. Didn't make me get rid of the Falcon though. It got written off.

WREXY

[This message has been edited by WREXY (edited 16 May 2001).]

Old 16 May 2001, 11:58 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well said Black cat......These are fast cars, and should be treated with respesct, If any of you need proof what can happen when things do go **** up look in the gallery At poor Pbones accident, and before any of you jump to conclucions Pete was not travelling that fast when it happened, BUT my point is you don't have to be. I should know I was right behind him when it happened. : eek :
Old 16 May 2001, 01:06 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Ok a bit of ageism here,

Im 23 and not some rich boy, im an engineer and pay every penny of it. Anyone can get in a Scoob and drive it like a to$$er, like any other car. They are becoming very popular so you do get the odd loser / nutter down the pub being attracted as the awareness increases.

I get tailgated by Nova's the same as the rest of us. Just got to live with it.

My insurance is under a grand btw
Old 16 May 2001, 01:12 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Hi Ronaldo,
It's only the small minority I'm talking about, not the mature and responsible youngsters who don't hang out for hrs in car parks doing donuts. I'm not against burnouts I love them, but its that hangout I'm talking about.

WREXY.

Old 16 May 2001, 01:56 PM
smanning
Scooby Regular

Angry

Hello chaps,

Thought I would make my mark here, although I read the site a lot , dont really put my oar in all that much.

I'm 22, and have a "00" turbo. I have had about 7 cars since I was 17... worked like a fool and spent everything I had on them. I expect that I would be catagorised as either a rich brat, or a boy racer. Well, I saved like hell, and despite a daughter, house and running another car i have still got it...just...

Some of you may have seen my ad in the "for sale" section. Not becoz I wanna sell it, but despite having 5 yrs NCB, being in the IAM etc etc, I'm struggling to afford the insurance.

To pay well over a grand to insure the thing and keep it running is fairly hard, so anyone who has had to do it the hard way isnt likely to drive too much like a pr**k as they may well loose it all.

Some young people may well get hold of them and reck them (my next door neighbour spend 19K on a STI-R, had it 2 weeks and in that time got it firebombed and then smashed it up. Not all of us are like it, but we have to pay for it in our insurance.

Would be nice if some of you chaps with a common interest could take us out of those little boxes you have just implied we are in. Not all young owners are nutters...
Old 16 May 2001, 02:07 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

And uh oh so you think you're special. That don't impress me much.

I think the expression is "pseuds and posers"?

Plenty of ***** driving about in Micras and all manner of other cars. Why pick on ***** in Imprezas?

This "oh I'm not as exclusive as I used to be" and "I'm very special you know, you peasants shouldn't have my sort of car" pi55 and wind makes me want to puke.

Oh and can somebody tell me when the National Speed Limit became 40?
Old 16 May 2001, 02:12 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

It seems to me there are many potential conflicts amoungst Scooby owners......

-Old drivers vs. young drivers

-MY00 UK spec. v. modified imports

-Family saloon drivers vs. track drivers.

-Fast B road drivers vs. carpark cruisers

-Silver vs. gold wheels

-Adrenaline junkies vs. snail like drivers

-£4,000 Scoob. vs £40,000 Scoob.

-load carrier vs. stripped out rally car

......isn't it good that we drive such versatile cars that mean so much to so many. Such a wide cross section of owners can only be a good thing in terms of bringing varied knowledge and experiences to the BBS. The same thing also supports the wide range of products and services we can access as Subaru drivers. If any one of these little cliques of people feel they are superior to the rest then they are fooling themselves.

Old 16 May 2001, 02:18 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

Isn't it just that there's a lot of prats out there and some happen to drive the same car as us?

Look out of my office window at 5:31 and watch them as they leave the car park...

Mind you I can see them in the office now and they are still prats
Old 16 May 2001, 02:19 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

The point is being missed. My insurance costs have doubled in 3 years although my NCB has increased. This is not just down to the insurance industry putting prices up - look at the data - Imprezas are involved in a much higher percentage of crashes now.

The real change has been the swing from enthusiasts liking the abilities (coz nobody ever bought it for looks) to all sorts of people buying it. There are still plenty of enthusiasts as witnessed by this BBS. To be fair the majority of the 'Prats' are probably not on this BBS anyway.

Being young doesnt have that much to do with it, and guys like Ronnie probably have more experience in fast cars than most of us put together. But herein lies the problem - if I had had such a car when I was 20 Yrs old I would have crashed it plenty of times. Experience helps an awful lot - I still do stupid things but 1) I know far better how to correct mistakes, and 2) have better judgement of when to stop.

Most of this is an obvious result of a car being popular. Boost II you rightly say that the car hasnt changed, and I accordingly still love the car. But the point is, the drivers have changed, and increased premiums is only one result of this. Ownership is different now. I prefer the Q-car image it used to have, but each to their own.
Old 16 May 2001, 02:32 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Trigger,
I see your point but I think you would find that if you drove any sort of car with performance similar to the Impreza Turbo, the same would be happening to your insurance. A friend of mine with a Supra IV 3.0TT has seen his insurance go from £650 best quote last year to £1500 best quote this year. Sad but true
Old 16 May 2001, 02:33 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

The point is still being missed.
The main reason your insurance is going up has more to do with the mad influx of 'Claims Direct' type companies than the number of Scoobs being nicked.
The insurance companies are getting some of the money back from the motorist, just like everyone else seems to be doing.

Stef.
Old 16 May 2001, 02:39 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

I can understand where Black cat is coming from, we all at sometime do something stupid in cars, but when your younger you think its good to go flying up a straight then brake hard for the corners, looks good and gets the girls (literally) but we know that there are also 2 types of drivers with performance cars, fast ones and quick ones, the good drivers are the quick ones who dont need to go fast to get to where they want to go and will keep up with the fast driver because they cant handle the power of the car, the Impreza is getting a "boy racer" image and insurance companies should do something about it (hears arguments about uninsured drivers now ) but most of these "kids" will end up either killing themselves or others and thats what gives us a bad name
It would be nice to see the insurance co's or clubs who can get cheaper insurance doing driving courses in how the car handles, not how to handle the car (one is sensible the other is about flying round roads like a boy racer)But the main problem is the early WRX's, the 92-94's even though i know some of you here have them so do the kids
The only way to make a good driver is experience and "boy racers" dont have that, they dont understand that this is a damn hard car to drive and it is, i throw my van around and its so forgiving near the limit, the scoob on the otherhand isnt, she will step out if i brake in a corner, she will go light when i brake hard for corners and you do need to keep the power on when going into corners otherwise the back steps out and bang.... please call 999 and if your lucky you walk away, if not your carried away or worse.
Anyone who doesnt agree with me about scoobs being hard to drive is either a very experienced driver or just plain stupid and doesnt know what there talking about.....

There are only 2 places that you can enjoy scoobs, in the middle of nowhere where you cant hurt anyone or on the track, towns are out of the question.
But in the end we are all human, we all like to give our cars a good blast, i know i do and im just as falable to making mistakes as most are and i freely admit it, i want to be a better driver but it takes more than just taking an advanced drivers test, it takes common sense and experience.

Tony

[This message has been edited by TonyBurns (edited 16 May 2001).]
Old 16 May 2001, 02:43 PM
stage 1
Scooby Regular

I agree with the title as most of you missed the point which was made for your own benefit

Quick Reply: Some of you are complete prats