Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Breakdown / Recovery for modified cars ??

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2017, 05:30 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Breakdown / Recovery for modified cars ??

What Breakdown / recovery companies are people using. i need a service that covers modified / lowered vehicles and ideally will offer recovery from motor sport events.

I will be driving my car to various track and drag events this year and the likely hood of me breaking something is fairly high so need some cover in place.

Cheers
Dubzy
Old 02 February 2017, 05:32 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dubzy
What Breakdown / recovery companies are people using. i need a service that covers modified / lowered vehicles and ideally will offer recovery from motor sport events.

I will be driving my car to various track and drag events this year and the likely hood of me breaking something is fairly high so need some cover in place.

Cheers
Dubzy
I'd go with what ever your insurance offers you. They will k ow it's modified etc from the insurance quote?

my bank free be recovery seems pretty good and has got me out of the poo a couple of times when I broke it
Old 02 February 2017, 05:47 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

The cover that my insurance company offered excluded motor sport events and i dont want to be having to push my car to the closest main road lol.
Old 02 February 2017, 10:37 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dubzy best bet would be to get a car transporter trailer and trailer the car to events if you think there is a possibility of breaking something other than that cant you go to green flag or the AA or one of the other breakdown companys direct??? instead of going through your insurance company to them??
Old 03 February 2017, 12:23 AM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gussy
Dubzy best bet would be to get a car transporter trailer and trailer the car to events if you think there is a possibility of breaking something other than that cant you go to green flag or the AA or one of the other breakdown companys direct??? instead of going through your insurance company to them??
Agree. I've trailered my car to every track day I've done. Sometimes it needs the trailer to get home, sometimes it doesn't 😉. Very handy to have and takes away the worry. I went to the JGM shootout at Elvington (I live in Glasgow) and wrecked the gearbox! Not a problem, straight onto the trailer and still made it home without any hassle.
Old 03 February 2017, 06:42 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

The cover that my insurance company offered excluded motor sport events and i dont want to be having to push my car to the closest main road lol.
Had to do this at llandow after I had a fire ,,, used green flag , chap turned up and asked if I had been doing a track day due to The extinguisher powder all over the car ,, told him no but he knew the score and we had a good laugh on the way home about it
Old 03 February 2017, 06:44 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gussy
Ive heard of a few people having issues when using the basic recovery services, recovery drivers refusing to touch them as they're too low or too modified so arnt covered under the small print etc.

Originally Posted by johnlogie
Agree. I've trailered my car to every track day I've done. Sometimes it needs the trailer to get home, sometimes it doesn't 😉. Very handy to have and takes away the worry. I went to the JGM shootout at Elvington (I live in Glasgow) and wrecked the gearbox! Not a problem, straight onto the trailer and still made it home without any hassle.
If i cant find any adequate cover then hiring a transporter each time may be the only option. Its more for the drag days incase i break a driveshaft or similar. I will have to ask Andy F as i know he used to drive his car to all the events and they dont come much more modified than that.

I was at the JGM day too, drove there and drove back without breaking a thing that day
Old 03 February 2017, 06:52 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
Had to do this at llandow after I had a fire ,,, used green flag , chap turned up and asked if I had been doing a track day due to The extinguisher powder all over the car ,, told him no but he knew the score and we had a good laugh on the way home about it
I know of a few that have done similar lol, If a moody jobsworth turns up then ya shafted !!
Old 03 February 2017, 07:12 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

I drove mine 80miles home with a broken drive shaft after a rather heavy handed launch lol. Got a 1.69 60ft time though....

Took me 3 and a half hours!
Old 03 February 2017, 07:16 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
I drove mine 80miles home with a broken drive shaft after a rather heavy handed launch lol. Got a 1.69 60ft time though....

Took me 3 and a half hours!
Thats exactly what i dont want to have to do lol
Old 03 February 2017, 07:19 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Thats exactly what i dont want to have to do lol
Your only option is really to get a trailer etc. I have spent hours looking at the same kind of things.

for peace of mind, although it is nice I would always rather have a trailer. No waiting around when you are pissed off because it is broken, just load it up and **** off.
Old 03 February 2017, 07:28 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

I will have to see if there are any car transporters locally for hire, i dont have anywhere to store a trailer and dont want to have to buy a daily thats big and heavy enough to tow it.
Old 03 February 2017, 08:01 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

I know of a few that have done similar lol, If a moody jobsworth turns up then ya shafted !!
Yeah I would of been gutted if he would of refused , but it is fully road legal so I would of argued with him for rest of the evening lol

You can hire self drive recovery trucks for around £100 for the day , then loading and unloading is all on you and no worrys about a trailer then as iv never liked towing

Last edited by domino46; 03 February 2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04 February 2017, 09:15 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I just have it in mind to ring a friend recovery with a flatbed slide n tilt in the case of emergency
Old 06 February 2017, 01:35 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Ive found a company locally that hires out transporters for around £100 per day, if i do 8 weekend events that would be around £1600 which isnt peanuts.

After a bit more searching the AA will offer recovery form public track day / testing events for mechanical failure but not crash recovery. They exclude cover for any motorsport competitive or timed events so drag day events may be excluded so will prob hire a transporter for those days.

Im going to join the AA and in the event of needing crash recovery will just use a local recovery company to the event which should be around £1.50 per mile plus callout fee.

I like driving the car to the events as im usually in convoy with others too.

Last edited by Dubzy; 06 February 2017 at 02:40 AM.
Old 06 February 2017, 10:05 PM
toby69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the AA and they have been great, needed a flat bed on more than 1 occasion and there has been no issues getting the car on and mine is pretty low. Anytime I've needed the flat bed they have put some planks out to help aid loading of the car. Not used them for motorsport events though as I have a trailer I use for track days
Old 06 February 2017, 10:26 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by toby69
I use the AA and they have been great, needed a flat bed on more than 1 occasion and there has been no issues getting the car on and mine is pretty low. Anytime I've needed the flat bed they have put some planks out to help aid loading of the car. Not used them for motorsport events though as I have a trailer I use for track days
After more research the AA do seem to have the best reputation with modded cars and they do include cover for public track days just not competitive events. I get a nice discount too as they currently have a deal going with the company i work for.
Old 07 February 2017, 09:43 AM
gaborpapp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use AA for mine. Roughly about 2-3 towings / year . They never complained about car modifications, even tho most of the times they come out they pop the bonnet and say "oh this engine has been modified quite a lot".

I get my cover from Modified Nationals, as they come there with an offer of around £60/year and a free MOT making it roughly £20/year. Very cheap price this way.

One thing you need to look out for with AA or any other company, in their basic membership (gold one for AA) i think you only get about 6 free recoveries/year, and you can`t have the two exact same breakdowns within 28 days from eachother unless is one of the listed ones (like tyre puncture)

Last edited by gaborpapp; 07 February 2017 at 09:44 AM.