Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you insure a car for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2017, 12:05 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you insure a car for sale?

I'm planning to sell my WR1. What do people do for test drive insurance? I tried a few places for 1-day insurance, but they won't consider a WR1. Do I add a possible buyer as a named driver on my own insurance?
Old 02 February 2017, 12:10 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

A car owning potential buyer will probably be able to drive another car on his insurance but usually 3rd party only. Best to check their insurance first.
Old 02 February 2017, 12:14 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They'll be covered to drive your car but only for tpft I believe, you'll be there during the test drive so for me personally I don't see this as being an issue.

That's assuming they have fully comprehensive insurance and are over 25yrs old.
Old 02 February 2017, 12:17 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

If it was my wr1 there would be no test drives regardless of insurance until asking price was in my hands you break you buy that way buyer will certainly have adequate insurance as HE wouldn't want to wreck it while test driving as you have his cash in your hands or at least a healthy deposit

Just my 20p's worth
Old 02 February 2017, 12:26 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZANY
If it was my wr1 there would be no test drives regardless of insurance until asking price was in my hands you break you buy that way buyer will certainly have adequate insurance as HE wouldn't want to wreck it while test driving as you have his cash in your hands or at least a healthy deposit

Just my 20p's worth
That's bang on, it also shows that the potential buyer is seriously interested and not just there for the sake of having a blast in a tasty motor.
Old 02 February 2017, 12:44 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Would the wr1 still not need to be insured by current owner
Old 02 February 2017, 12:55 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by peter zippy reid
Would the wr1 still not need to be insured by current owner
Yes insured for his own purposes but would not cover test drives comprehensively so not worth giving test drives unless cash is in hand,
less hassle if buyer ends up in a ditch that way god forbid
the potential buyer would get insurance to drive the car on the day taking full responsibility if crashes etc and it would cover them to drive it home, get the tax for it etc

Any genuine buyer ususally sorts the insurance out for the day on the car but regardless the seller should make it clear how he wants to do things so there's no complications after

Trending Topics

Old 02 February 2017, 03:54 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

As what people have said above. Generally people are aloud to drive other people's cars on their insurance under 3rd party. Up to you whether you wanna take the risk. If he turns up in a tracksuit and looks about 18, don't let him test it!
Old 02 February 2017, 04:18 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I wouldn't risk it personally. Either they are covered full comp or you drive and they passenger. I sold my RX7 this way. He didn't drive it until he'd paid for it!

I also purchased my Forester the same way. I didn't drive that until I'd paid for it in full!
Old 02 February 2017, 04:33 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Yeah that's fair enough. Especially if it's worth a fair bit of money aswell. Depends on the attitude of the person buying it aswell.
Old 02 February 2017, 04:52 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Before i brought my current blobeye i had my cupra r forsale. Had someone from southampton call and arranged for him to catch train to the midlands few days later. I had seen my blobeye forsale but was to hours away so after speaking to the owner i could tell he was honest about the car. As my cupra went on the friday i arranged two go view and buy the blobeye on the saturday morning so i insured it once the cupra had gone on the friday. Didnt cost me anything and i was then insured to test drive the subaru. It was fine and still is. If it did turn out to be a dog id of just cancelled policy on way home

Last edited by nortonscooby; 02 February 2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02 February 2017, 06:30 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Very interesting info, thanks for the advice everyone.

I think that you can't get insurance for a car that's not owned by you, as I tried to do that to borrow a mate's motorhome but couldn't get the insurance.

Thinking back, I sold a BMW 333i to a guy who brought a professional engineer with him, Neither of them drove it, although they both sat in the car while I drove.

So no test drives! Ha!!!! Makes me feel a lot better - it's my baby!
Old 02 February 2017, 06:33 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Don't sell it then mate if it's your baby!!!
Old 02 February 2017, 06:52 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Good info, thanks everyone.
Old 02 February 2017, 09:43 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Just my 20p's worth
You will struggle to find a buyer willing to do this unfortunately.
Old 03 February 2017, 07:18 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fpan
You will struggle to find a buyer willing to do this unfortunately.
Fortunately I've sold over 30 subaru's and other marques in the past years using this method as I didn't get demonstration cover on my traders policy on purpose never had an issue just filters all the messers out
Old 03 February 2017, 08:44 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Fortunately I've sold over 30 subaru's and other marques in the past years using this method as I didn't get demonstration cover on my traders policy on purpose never had an issue just filters all the messers out
Wow that's interesting.

I understand it helps filter out the messers (I've had a guy turn up to test drive my FSTi with ... sandals FFS!) but do people turn up with a 5 digit figure in cash, test drive and expect to have their money back?

If it works we have something to learn
Old 03 February 2017, 09:02 AM
elgassi
Scooby Regular

If your selling the car and driving it on the road., you'll have to have the car insured

if I wanted to buy your car I'd want to test drive it, you can't expect people to buy the car first............that's stoopid

Just cos the guys got a tracksuit on and looks 18 doesn't make him a bad driver

Selling cars is always like that, you have to look at the buyer and make your own mind up, take them for a drive first, pick somewhere for them to drive the car that's going to have the least dangers.............or you can always use We Buy Any Car
Old 03 February 2017, 09:47 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Also sold loads and loads of subarus over the years and no one test drives them , I'm happy to run them around for a bit and do anything they ask me to while I'm driving but unless they have paid for it there not driving it

Sold my RA a few weeks back and the lad that brought it didn't drive it till it was paid for

He is still in touch and very happy with it

Last edited by domino46; 03 February 2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03 February 2017, 09:57 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by elgassi
If your selling the car and driving it on the road., you'll have to have the car insured

if I wanted to buy your car I'd want to test drive it, you can't expect people to buy the car first............that's stoopid

Just cos the guys got a tracksuit on and looks 18 doesn't make him a bad driver

Selling cars is always like that, you have to look at the buyer and make your own mind up, take them for a drive first, pick somewhere for them to drive the car that's going to have the least dangers.............or you can always use We Buy Any Car

No matter how good a driver you are, you can't account for other drivers. If you test drive a car 3rd party on your insurance and an uninsured driver slams into you (not your fault) where does that leave the owner of the car? It leaves him with an uninsured write off and massive financial loss.

If you're driving a high performance car like a Subaru are you going to want to put your foot down to see how fast it goes and test it yourself? Yes probably. If only 3rd party I'd argue this is just reckless with someone else's property.

If someone is serious about buying a car privately, they will be happy as a passenger in that car until they own it.

Alternatively the potential buyer could arrange 1 day insurance to test drive if they are serious. Plenty of policies available these days just for this sort of thing!

https://www.dayinsure.com/Cars?gclid...FeG37QodL8sAow
Old 03 February 2017, 10:06 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Tannoy announcement for Moley, calling Moley...

https://www.scoobynet.com/member.php?u=39551
Old 03 February 2017, 10:43 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Tannoy announcement for Moley, calling Moley...

https://www.scoobynet.com/member.php?u=39551
Old 03 February 2017, 11:24 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Whenever I have gone to view a car to buy, I've always contacted my insurance company and they've given me a days temp cover (fully comp) on the prospective car. You have 7 days to cancel any policy anyway.

IMO it's upto the buyer to provide insurance if they want to drive the car, not the seller.

To add, I just phone my insurance company and explain that I'm buying a new car, give them the details, explain the situation and have the insurance to start from the day of viewing. Then if I don't buy it, I just ring them and ask them to cancel it.

Last edited by TECHNOPUG; 03 February 2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03 February 2017, 11:28 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

^^^^ Totally agree.
Old 03 February 2017, 12:45 PM
elgassi
Scooby Regular

If it's my car, I would want to make sure the Insurance was spot on, anyone could roll up with a scanned insurance cover note
At least having the car insured yourself is one less worry IMO
How do you know the driver has a current license, isn't banned, turns up with his brother or mates documents it's a minefield
Old 03 February 2017, 01:09 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

I spoke to my insurance company this morning. They said that they could add on a named driver to my policy there & then. Minus point if they crunch something, it affects my no claims, however it seems the best route for insuring a driver. My preference though is for them not to test drive.
Old 04 February 2017, 02:33 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Hmm, as a potential buyer, realistically I wouldn't want to buy a car that I haven't driven. That doesn't mean that I'd rag the car around, but I'd definitely want to have a gentle drive at least to make sure that the steering and brakes felt right. Not everything is possible to tell from the passenger seat.

When I sold my subaru and evo, I made sure the buyers had 3rd party insurance.

IMO it's a risk you have to take when selling a car privately. It's likely that you'll get much more for the car that way than selling to a dealer, so a risk worth taking in my opinion. That doesn't mean I'd let any old fool drive them, but I think as sellers we have to be realistic about what it is like to be a buyer as well.
Old 04 February 2017, 03:07 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Interesting thought Henrik, however say that your buyer on 3rd party insurance plants his foot a little too quick & spins the car into a wall. That would not be insured & you would have a 100% loss. Not very appealing. If they must drive it, I prefer the idea of getting them to pay as a named driver on your insurance.
Old 05 February 2017, 10:49 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
Hmm, as a potential buyer, realistically I wouldn't want to buy a car that I haven't driven. That doesn't mean that I'd rag the car around, but I'd definitely want to have a gentle drive at least to make sure that the steering and brakes felt right. Not everything is possible to tell from the passenger seat.

When I sold my subaru and evo, I made sure the buyers had 3rd party insurance.

IMO it's a risk you have to take when selling a car privately. It's likely that you'll get much more for the car that way than selling to a dealer, so a risk worth taking in my opinion. That doesn't mean I'd let any old fool drive them, but I think as sellers we have to be realistic about what it is like to be a buyer as well.
I agree with this.
Ask the potential buyer to arrange their own insurance.
I wouldn't buy a car without test driving it.
On the other hand, I'd expect any potential buyer driving responsibly as I would when test driving someone else's car.
Old 08 February 2017, 05:24 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

As far as I know, someone who does not own a car cannot insure it. They'd be 3rd party of course, but that wouldn't help in a tree hugging incident. Only option I can see is to add a named driver to your own insurance.