Uprated 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2017, 05:20 AM
Wrx_1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uprated 5 speed

Hi lads,

Long time lurker first post, I have a 2005 blob eye Wrx on 120k with a few mods vf 35, full decat etc etc running 320/305.

Basically (educated guess) my gearbox is on its way out 1,2,3 are ridiculously hard to push into 2 crunches most of the time and it just doesn't want to go into reverse 4 and 5 are fine though, it's the original gearbox with fresh lightweight shockproof in a few weeks back

I would like to get more power out of the car roughly 380 bhp, and I'm planning on rebuilding the 5 speed gearbox with uprated parts myself.

Can anybody give me a guesstimate how much this would cost doing it myself and the cheapest place to source the parts for this?

Cheers
Old 26 January 2017, 09:13 AM
Frylite
Scooby Regular

I am sure someone who knows more will come along but i was always under the impression that the 5 speed at your desired numbers of 380bhp will be up at the limit.

Option 1: new synchro's

Pro: Cheap
Cons: 380bhp could potentially mince your gears and it would be a waste of money

Option 2: PPG internals

Pro: super strong can take 500+bhp
Cons: Super expensive 4k+

Option 3: 6 Speed upgrade

Pro: can take 450+bhp
Cons: will cost between 1.8-2.5k to purchase second hand and your taking a risk.

Those are the main options i have heard people discuss when it comes to gear box replacement/refurbishment, if your adamant you want to run higher power it may be worth going and getting a 6 speed second hand.
Old 26 January 2017, 10:30 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Frylite
I am sure someone who knows more will come along but i was always under the impression that the 5 speed at your desired numbers of 380bhp will be up at the limit.

Option 1: new synchro's

Pro: Cheap
Cons: 380bhp could potentially mince your gears and it would be a waste of money

Option 2: PPG internals

Pro: super strong can take 500+bhp
Cons: Super expensive 10k+

Option 3: 6 Speed upgrade

Pro: can take 600+bhp
Cons: will cost between 1.8-2.5k to purchase second hand and your taking a risk.

Those are the main options i have heard people discuss when it comes to gear box replacement/refurbishment, if your adamant you want to run higher power it may be worth going and getting a 6 speed second hand.
Just edited a couple of bits, PPG downgraded their cheaper version of the gearkit to 450bhp rating, the 500+ kit is about 10k

6 speed will be fine over 600, although bear in mind at this power parts can fail at any time
Old 26 January 2017, 01:21 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by On-the-bog
Just edited a couple of bits, PPG downgraded their cheaper version of the gearkit to 450bhp rating, the 500+ kit is about 10k The cheaper ppg kits are not very strong either.

6 speed will be fine over 600, although bear in mind at this and lower power parts do fail at any time, especially synchros
Just edited a couple of bits
Old 26 January 2017, 01:48 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Just edited a couple of bits
Old 27 January 2017, 10:59 AM
gaborpapp
Scooby Regular

Well I was in same position . I would not bother with 5 speed upgrades. And I myself like to do jobs on my own car, however if you speak to East Kent Subaru (Richard), bit of a drive from your's tho, you will be surprised how cheaply he can put in a 6 speed box for you. Reason being is that when you buy off 6 speed kits from sellers they sell & charge you for parts that you don`t need if you are clever in your swap.

He matched my uk rear diff with a 6 speed box with correct ration, meaning I kept hubs etc, kept 5 speed clutch,other bits and bobs again less parts to buy , and therefore cost was considerably lower than expected.

Box been running over a year now, and it feels like it's always meant to be on the car. you know, no funny business going on in any areas to tell you this box is not from this car.
Old 28 January 2017, 07:46 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gaborpapp
Well I was in same position . I would not bother with 5 speed upgrades. And I myself like to do jobs on my own car, however if you speak to East Kent Subaru (Richard), bit of a drive from your's tho, you will be surprised how cheaply he can put in a 6 speed box for you. Reason being is that when you buy off 6 speed kits from sellers they sell & charge you for parts that you don`t need if you are clever in your swap.

He matched my uk rear diff with a 6 speed box with correct ration, meaning I kept hubs etc, kept 5 speed clutch,other bits and bobs again less parts to buy , and therefore cost was considerably lower than expected.

Box been running over a year now, and it feels like it's always meant to be on the car. you know, no funny business going on in any areas to tell you this box is not from this car.

He hadn't done anything clever there. Most 6 speeds fit without need for diffs etc.....

Trending Topics

Old 28 January 2017, 09:35 AM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

What about a " VBAAA" box ? Arnt these boxes a but stronger ?
Old 28 January 2017, 12:12 PM
gaborpapp
Scooby Regular

He hadn't done anything clever there. Most 6 speeds fit without need for diffs etc.....
my point was that for a diy enthusiast like myself or most of us on forums, most of the sellers will make you buy lots of bits you don`t necessarily need. Hence is worth going for someone who knows what's hes doing and save yourself the cash and time you would spend otherwise.
Old 28 January 2017, 11:41 PM
GH80
Scooby Regular

I was looking into 5 speeds a few years back and people had been recommending blast plates for the 5 speed, due to some twist or deflection in the gearbox causing failures. Was this proved out?
Old 30 January 2017, 09:23 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Just don't mentioned drive shaft conversions, wrong length prop shaft, incorrect ratio diffs etc eh