ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2016, 03:35 PM
random rs
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed

Guys looking for some help.... my cars been sitting g up for over 15 months and I finally got time to get working on it this week.... problem is it's misfiring on 2 and 4 originally we thought maybe an injector problem so checked them they're perfect. Next a quick comp test but again was ok.... cheked the plugs one tip is burnt out (cyl2) bit also found my coil pack is not firing on the output for cyl4.... after checking the other plug we put it in cyl2 to see would that change how it ran.... sounded a bit better bit it's still misfiring under a bit of throttle but not on idle just yiu can tell it's only running on 3

do the packs give hassle ??
Or any other problems I may have??
car is a 99 gt series II
Old 28 December 2016, 05:34 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you using fresh fuel? It does go off after that length of time.
Old 28 December 2016, 08:57 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Coil packs nearly all give bother in the dark start it up and look to see is there any arcing from leads or pack also look under the coil pack. Possibly arcing in the heads very difficult to see. Set of new plugs would obviously be of benefit. The coil pack is wasted spark so 2+4 fire together and 1+3 likewise so I would say its possibly the pack itself. Leads give bother too. Is your coil pack on the drivers side if so the ignitor is built into iirc.
Old 29 December 2016, 01:23 AM
random rs
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by wrx300scooby
Are you using fresh fuel? It does go off after that length of time.

was aware of that the car had less than 1/4tank when it parked up so I had put in about 15 litres of fresh fuel

Originally Posted by 1509joe
Coil packs nearly all give bother in the dark start it up and look to see is there any arcing from leads or pack also look under the coil pack. Possibly arcing in the heads very difficult to see. Set of new plugs would obviously be of benefit. The coil pack is wasted spark so 2+4 fire together and 1+3 likewise so I would say its possibly the pack itself. Leads give bother too. Is your coil pack on the drivers side if so the ignitor is built into iirc.
Pack is in the passenger side man gonna try get a new pack tomorrow and try that.... we removed the leads from the pack and can see the arcing off all posts on the pack... used a spare plug to see were the leads ok and after swapping round leads we figured the no4 post on the pack is not sparking...
Old 29 December 2016, 01:33 AM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibly the wiring and not the actual coil pack. Check the connection first
Old 29 December 2016, 01:53 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by random rs
was aware of that the car had less than 1/4tank when it parked up so I had put in about 15 litres of fresh fuel

Pack is in the passenger side man gonna try get a new pack tomorrow and try that.... we removed the leads from the pack and can see the arcing off all posts on the pack... used a spare plug to see were the leads ok and after swapping round leads we figured the no4 post on the pack is not sparking...
Sorry I'm dotting I meant passenger side
Old 29 December 2016, 01:48 PM
random rs
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by johnlogie
Possibly the wiring and not the actual coil pack. Check the connection first

connection seemed ok... best way to test it? ?
Old 29 December 2016, 04:39 PM
random rs
Scooby Newbie

Ok so...... new Coilpack in ot amd it's sparking on all 4 plugs. The injectors are clicking away like normal.... ot has 4 new plugs in it but is still misfiring it seems to alternate though between banks yesterday passo bank wasn't firing today after new plugs and pack it's firing but not the drivers and now it's a mix haha. I'm wonderin if I hae the injector connections mixed up.... I have a grey and a black on each side anyone able to tell me which goes to which?

I'm thinking it could also be because of bad fuel as the tips of my new plugs are black

compression test is bang on om all 4 cylinders too
Old 29 December 2016, 07:54 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

You added 15 litres of new fuel to the fuel that was already in the tank?? If so then you are getting a mix of good fuel and degraded fuel into each cylinder, may be necessary to pump out all the fuel in the tank and fill from empty(ish), flush another litre through the pipes then connect up and try again.
Old 31 December 2016, 12:18 PM
random rs
Scooby Newbie

And it's fixed! !!

thanks for all advice guys.

drained the fuel put in fresh fuel ran a little bit better but still mising and backfiring..... chas ed down all the pipes and it turned out the throttle body gasket had developed a leak swapped it out and car runs perfect now
Old 31 December 2016, 01:54 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear you got it sorted Said in PM to check for vacuum leaks