Oil pressure light

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2016, 11:36 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure light

Has anyone experienced this before.....

I started the car up this morning and the oil pressure light stayed on, but it wasn't it's usual bright colour like it is when you first put the ignition on, it clearly reduced in brightness after I started the car.....I panicked!!!!

I switched off the car and immediately checked the oil level but as I park it on a hill it's not the most accurate reading, however I checked it the other day at work and it was roughly 1/2 so I added 250ml to be on the safe side.

I then drove and the light was still faintly on but it went off slowly during the first mile. After my 20 mile journey I checked the level and it's now sitting @ roughly 3/4 ish and a hour later I checked again and it's still @ 3/4

How much oil does it take to fill between the minimum and maximum mark? I'm under the impression that it takes 1ltr which means before sticking the 250ml in my oil level would have been sitting at roughly 1/2.....same as the other day.

So why the faint oil pressure light?

Cheers

Last edited by Wull; 07 December 2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07 December 2016, 11:45 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Might be moisture in the wiring.

I'd get the pressure tested to be on the safe side.
Old 07 December 2016, 12:30 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

I'm thinking that if there was an issue with the oil pressure then it would show its hand whilst driving especially when higher up the rev range.....on the way back home I did a few spirited pulls in 3rd & 4th and the light never came on at all, not even the slightest flicker.
Old 07 December 2016, 04:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Your car, your choice.

It's not known as "this engine is fukced" light for nowt, but as I say, your choice.
Old 07 December 2016, 04:43 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Your car, your choice.

It's not known as "this engine is fukced" light for nowt, but as I say, your choice.

Oil level is good, light went out after 1 mile and even at that it was faint and not as bright as it is when ignition is switched on.

Engine sounds sweet, temps are normal. Drives well.

As I said before surely if there was a pressure issue it would be more of apparent when driving at speed,further up the rev range etc???

I think I'll get a pressure gauge fitted for peace of mind if it ever happens in the future but I'm fairly confident it's not an issue just now, just wondered if it had happened to anyone before.
Old 07 December 2016, 07:00 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wull

Oil level is good, light went out after 1 mile and even at that it was faint and not as bright as it is when ignition is switched on.

Engine sounds sweet, temps are normal. Drives well.

As I said before surely if there was a pressure issue it would be more of apparent when driving at speed,further up the rev range etc???

I think I'll get a pressure gauge fitted for peace of mind if it ever happens in the future but I'm fairly confident it's not an issue just now, just wondered if it had happened to anyone before.
oil level has nothing to do with oil pressure unless it is totally empty!

could be a multitude of things, sticky relief valve, failing pump etc...

but hey lets go for a spirited run and see if we can really **** the engine! it may be nothing, but it needs to be checked out...
Old 07 December 2016, 07:05 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV

but hey lets go for a spirited run and see if we can really **** the engine! it may be nothing, but it needs to be checked out...
Oil level can contribute to oil pressure, so that comment is inaccurate. But I know they're not the same thing. Why the sarcastic comment at the bottom? There's no need for that mate. Like I said above if ou actually bothered your **** to read it the light had distinguished leaving me more than happy to drive the car in a normal fashion.

On the way home after having no issues I decided to go a little higher in the rev range in a few gears to see if the light would even flicker and it never, so it's not like I'm trying to intentionally **** my engine.....idiot!

Last edited by Wull; 07 December 2016 at 07:06 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 07 December 2016, 07:22 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Oil level can contribute to oil pressure, so that comment is inaccurate. But I know they're not the same thing. Why the sarcastic comment at the bottom? There's no need for that mate. Like I said above if ou actually bothered your **** to read it the light had distinguished leaving me more than happy to drive the car in a normal fashion.

On the way home after having no issues I decided to go a little higher in the rev range in a few gears to see if the light would even flicker and it never, so it's not like I'm trying to intentionally **** my engine.....idiot!
Maybe you do not understand the difference between volume and pressure.... And try read my post again, it can affect pressure but not adversely in the manner you describe.

the volume of oil contained within the engine at normal parameters within min and max will supply adequate oil pressure. the pressure will flictuate when there is too little or too much oil. the pressure light will come on when there is literally no pressure. as above, its not called the engine is funked light for nothing....

why post about something if you obviously have all the answers? Have you checked the PRV, etc? if there is a problem and the light came on at higher rpm your engine would have been toast before you knew what was going on. So less of the name calling chum....
Old 07 December 2016, 07:28 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

And why the dim light as oppose to the usual bright oil pressure light? That to me suggests that it's an issue with the switch itself, moisture?

The reason I asked is to see what information and help I could get, not sarcastic comments. I don't appreciate that at all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1987.PNG
Views:	0
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	21835  
Old 07 December 2016, 07:42 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

And why the dim light as oppose to the usual bright oil pressure light? That to me suggests that it's an issue with the switch itself, moisture?

The reason I asked is to see what information and help I could get, not sarcastic comments. I don't appreciate that at all.
i have answered that... sticking prv etc could cause your problems, duff sensor , bad earth....

the lastbthing you should be doing os giving it a spirited run.

you have had answers and helpful comments and are ignoring them....
Old 07 December 2016, 07:43 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Your car, your choice.

how much more help do you need?
Old 07 December 2016, 07:48 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

I'm hardly ignoring them, I'm getting as much information so I can take it from there, are you expecting me to go out and do all these checks right now? I never started this thread until after I had driven 20 miles, but if I was in any doubt that the oil pressure was low I would have never driven the car.

My initial query was regarding the dim light and that was answered with the moisture, that would explain the light going out quickly from its dim state because of the temp. It's been proper wet here the last few days as well.

I appreciate the comments, and I have taken them on the board.
Old 07 December 2016, 07:52 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

how much more help do you need?
Old 07 December 2016, 07:53 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

If there was a genuine problem with the oil pressure do you think the light would do the same again if I went out to start the car just now?

When I started the car before heading home it went out as it should and never came back on.
Old 07 December 2016, 07:53 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1509joe

Old 07 December 2016, 07:56 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

It amazes me how quick people can alienate people when they've only been here 5 mins and to think they are only trying to help them
Old 07 December 2016, 08:01 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1509joe
It amazes me how quick people can alienate people when they've only been here 5 mins and to think they are only trying to help them
At what point was your comment helpful? Please, do tell? Just a pointless reply trying to be smart. Well done you

Like I said above I appreciate the constructive replies, it's just the sarcastic arsey comments that don't do it for me, the pointless and needless " trying to **** the engine" comments......I mean why would I actually deliberately try and do that?

I've just went out and tried it and the light goes out as normal, so I'm happy with that.
Old 07 December 2016, 08:07 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

At what point was your comment helpful? Please, do tell? Just a pointless reply trying to be smart. Well done you

Like I said above I appreciate the constructive replies, it's just the sarcastic arsey comments that don't do it for me, the pointless and needless " trying to **** the engine" comments......I mean why would I actually deliberately try and do that?

I've just went out and tried it and the light goes out as normal, so I'm happy with that.
Good lad long may it last. Now as far as the being smart comment no I wasn't was just putting the point across of the valid things people had said to you to try and stop you destroying your engine.