Sponsored by:

Advice needed please

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2016, 05:45 PM
Tazzeyboo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed please

Hi, I have a turbo 2000 MY00. Only had the car a few months. It has front mounted intercooler, open mouth decat, welbro pump, yellow injectors, standard TD04. Car has been running 0.9 boost, have been having some resistance when hitting the peddle hard but have been told it is lag but the car run sweet.
3 days ago the boost dropped to 0.75 and the car felt really down on power. I checked all the pipes for leaks, only found one that was slightly perished, it was the one with the pill. I changed it and put the pill back in. Now the boost has gone up to 1.2 bar but if I hold the throttle, it drops to 0.9. Sometimes holds back for a split second. I have no idea what's up with it. It has been on dyno just for bhp, it's running 240 bhp. Must stress don't know history. Not sure what boost its set to. Assuming it's 0.9 as that's what it was when I picked it up, but for all I know it may have been holding back.
I would really appreciate your help as I'm stumped. It will be having a remap early 2017.
Old 17 November 2016, 09:23 PM
TypeR99
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the simple answer is get is mapped, your ecu will be fighting all the mods on it until then so will behave randomly, as per your post.

The car has a bucket load of air related mods, so even with the Walbro 255 pump the ecu cant compensate and it'll be running lean. Boost spiking is common with unmapped decats because the maf is telling the ecu how much air is coming in but after that everything has been changed.

You'll be chasing your tail trying to even attempt to sort it without a map, and the quicker you get it done the quicker you'll save having to look for another engine. £550 for an Ecutek map is the best money you'll spend. Make sure you use a reputable Subaru mapper and not just someone that'll do a £250 flash map.
Old 18 November 2016, 11:11 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TypeR99
the simple answer is get is mapped, your ecu will be fighting all the mods on it until then so will behave randomly, as per your post.

The car has a bucket load of air related mods, so even with the Walbro 255 pump the ecu cant compensate and it'll be running lean. Boost spiking is common with unmapped decats because the maf is telling the ecu how much air is coming in but after that everything has been changed.

You'll be chasing your tail trying to even attempt to sort it without a map, and the quicker you get it done the quicker you'll save having to look for another engine. £550 for an Ecutek map is the best money you'll spend. Make sure you use a reputable Subaru mapper and not just someone that'll do a £250 flash map.
Spot on.
Old 18 November 2016, 07:30 PM
Tazzeyboo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thankyou

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Spot on.
Thankyou very much for your good advise if am going to book it in asap can i ask another thing before I get it mapped is there anything else I can get in don't won't a bigger turbo as not looking for massive bhp I was told it might be worth putting unequal headers on what you think thankyou
Old 18 November 2016, 08:53 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I'd leave the unequal length exhaust manifold on unless your not fused with your burble.
Old 19 November 2016, 06:45 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaygsi
I'd leave the unequal length exhaust headers on unless your not fused with your burble.
Council estate touring car noise ftw!

Headers not reqd below 400hp.