Advice: Narrow JDM Blob or UK Widetrack Blob

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2016, 04:16 PM
cornishlad
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Advice: Narrow JDM Blob or UK Widetrack Blob

Hi All!

I'm a new member but not new to Scoobs, I am after some personal views on the following...

I know the differences between JDM & UK Blob models, I also know the differences between narrow and widetrack models so we don't have to go down that ever familiar thread

I'm after a very specific spec for my next project car (Blobeye JDM STI in Black... ) and finding there aren't many round and the ones that are round seem to be out of my price range so I was thinking about a compromise.

What are people's opinion between a narrow JDM vs a UK Widetrack, which advantage outweighs the other, JDM engine and goodies vs widetrack mechanicals etc?

I've only had 2 classics previously so ideally am after personal experiences!

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Old 28 October 2016, 05:32 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

I'd go for a uk narrow track blob sti as its got forged pistons as std and a good base to start modifications, also the unequal length manifold retains the ultimate flat four rumble and you'll have more chances of getting one in black parts will be easily sourced aswell
Old 28 October 2016, 05:44 PM
cornishlad
Scooby Newbie

I thought that it was only JDMs that had up rated engine internals?
Old 28 October 2016, 05:51 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cornishlad
I thought that it was only JDMs that had up rated engine internals?
Nope uk forged aswell all the way up to 2005 when they decided to put the other ones in that includes the widetrack jdm aswell non forged
Old 28 October 2016, 06:05 PM
cornishlad
Scooby Newbie

Okay thanks! So the major different things regarding engine internals are the twin scroll turbo, better cranks, inlet cams, and equal header, but pistons are the same. I did consider putting a RC unequal header on the JDM with some other engine uprages so that the power is still increased with the uprated engine (and all the other JDM extras) whilst keeping a classic burble (I know some people will shoot me for saying that! haha)

Very interested to know what opinions are regarding ditching the widetrack and whether you can get the same handling improvements by using uprated ARBs and a decent suspension setup?
Old 28 October 2016, 06:10 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

*flame suit on*

Unequals arent twin scroll and wont fit so no chance of sounding like a bender with a council estate touring car with a JDM. Subaru are saving you from yourself really ..
Old 28 October 2016, 06:24 PM
cornishlad
Scooby Newbie

I have to say when it is the right volume and pitch rumble I do like it, however I do also very much like the straight up superbike noise a JDM makes Definitely swaying towards the JDM I just don't know if the widetrack is worth the extra £ (assuming that widetrack JDM has the same engine spec as the narrow, I haven't been able to find this one out anywhere as of yet )
Old 28 October 2016, 06:25 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

This is how mine sounds

Old 28 October 2016, 06:28 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

I have to say when it is the right volume and pitch rumble I do like it, however I do also very much like the straight up superbike noise a JDM makes Definitely swaying towards the JDM I just don't know if the widetrack is worth the extra £ (assuming that widetrack JDM has the same engine spec as the narrow, I haven't been able to find this one out anywhere as of yet )
Id rather have a jdm narrowtrack than a uk widetrack. Twinscroll, better engine 8k rpm redline iirc instead of 7...

Okay you dont get the dccd but the 6bspeed box will still have better ratios than the uk car, and ive never needed dccd in mine...
Old 28 October 2016, 06:41 PM
cornishlad
Scooby Newbie

I think that is what I kind of wanted to hear to be honest! Sort of set on JDM now and the narrow track budget I may be able to stretch to... I'm also set on black :haha: Thanks for the vid That's the sort of sound I could live with!
Old 28 October 2016, 06:53 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Are you actually in cornwall?
Old 28 October 2016, 06:56 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd rather have the UK widetrack. Better geometry, dccd etc. but it's not as big a deal on a road car as most people never change the settings
Old 28 October 2016, 07:11 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

The superior power delivery of twinscroll far outweighs the aural disadvantages (assuming you're not one of the many people who actually prefers the equal-length sound).

The other main benefit of JDM is the quick rack which makes a big difference to the feel of the car.

I prefer the lower 5th and 6th ratios on JDM cars but if you do lots of motorway work (and why would you buy an Impreza to drive on motorways?) then you might prefer the longer UK ratios.

The sweeping Defi clocks are really rather nice - the UK dials look rather plain in comparison.

The suspension geometry of the widetrack is better out of the box than the non Spec C narrow track (longer wheelbase, more caster) but the difference on the road is fairly small (I doubt many people would be able to tell in a blind test) and can be minimised with an anti-lift kit / top mounts / caster mod.

The widetrack does have a nicer dash, but offsetting that the seating position is higher than the narrow track and not as sporty. Choice of wheels is more limited if that's your thing.

It's true that UK cars (up to blobeye) have proper forged pistons while the JDM blobs came with hypereutectic pistons, but the hypereutectic pistons are very good indeed, proven to run reliably at 450 bhp and IMO not really a factor influencing this decision.
Old 28 October 2016, 07:12 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV

Okay you dont get the dccd but the 6bspeed box will still have better ratios than the uk car, and ive never needed dccd in mine...
JDM blobeye pre-widetrack has DCCD.

IMO the main advantage of a DCCD car isn't the ability to adjust torque settings (most people will drive on Auto for 99% of the time), but the more rear-biased default torque split compared to non-DCCD cars.

Last edited by plenty; 28 October 2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 28 October 2016, 07:20 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay Cartay
I'd rather have the UK widetrack. Better geometry, dccd etc. but it's not as big a deal on a road car as most people never change the settings
Geometry is changed 99% of the time. And seeing as Plenty corrected me and the jdm has dccd anyway the jdm is a better car....

Id never buy a uk spec car...
Old 28 October 2016, 08:04 PM
cornishlad
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Are you actually in cornwall?
I am indeed. Are you down this way?
Old 28 October 2016, 08:13 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

I am indeed. Are you down this way?
Yes mate, not far from bodmin.
Old 28 October 2016, 08:37 PM
matieboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an 03 narrow JDM and now have a 05 widetrack JDM and will agree the handling difference is minimal I don't believe you would tell the difference on the road my 03 had 22mm rear ARB myster r coilovers anti lift kit and roll correction kit and handled brilliantly on and off track.
I would definealty have a JDM over any uk and if your on a budget use your money wisely you'll find a lot better narrow JDM than trying to find a widetrack for the same money.

Also Later JDM's don't have the silly road tax i
Old 28 October 2016, 08:58 PM
cornishlad
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all your replies. Confirms what I was thinking that with a decent setup underneath I'd be able to get the handling similar to that of Widetrack!

Also JGLANZAV I'm down Camborne way! Is there much of a group down this way?
Old 28 October 2016, 10:02 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The main change/reason, IIRC, for the "widetrack" was to accommodate larger wheel bearings at the rear. This is significant for competition cars, or high power road cars, otherwise I wouldn't get too hung up over it.

JDM twinscroll models are a much better overall package, IMHO - rev limit, DCCD, low down punch, etc; and that's the main reason for choosing one I would say.
Old 28 October 2016, 10:26 PM
cornishlad
Scooby Newbie

Well if I get to higher power and they become and issue I will just have to replace them, hopefully they won't go that often. A price you pay for power!
Old 29 October 2016, 06:47 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Well if I get to higher power and they become and issue I will just have to replace them, hopefully they won't go that often. A price you pay for power!
Even then I wouldnt worry about it, i have been on original r160 hubs at well over 500hp for 5 years now....
Old 29 October 2016, 07:19 AM
cornishlad
Scooby Newbie

Awesome! What spec is yours running? Can't wait to get started and have someone local to talk to about things, always nice Know many other owners down this way? What width wheels can you squeeze inside the narrow tracks without it looking daft?
Old 29 October 2016, 07:28 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

There are a few down this way, indont get involved on club things etc. Its not my style.

7.5 or 8j without it looking daft, with some 235 tyres.

I usually go out for early morning drives and track days with a few mates from this way all of us with 400+ hp classics.
Old 29 October 2016, 07:29 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/952187-my-classic-scoob.html
Old 29 October 2016, 07:42 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would always say twin scroll for get up and go, UK cars don't get moving until 4k rpm and they're out of puff by 7k rpm, so that's a 3k window of fun / screaming the **** off your car to get it going, Twin scroll starts moving around 2.5k rpm all the way to 8k, remap to around the 350bhp mark and a load of handling mods and you'll have a serious weapon that will out run much more powerful UK cars due to that early spool which is what counts in the real world, because the reality is we don't all drive around at 120mph.

Oh and lets not forget the all important rear wiper on JDM cars.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 29 October 2016 at 07:43 AM.
Old 29 October 2016, 08:16 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I would always say twin scroll for get up and go, UK cars don't get moving until 4k rpm and they're out of puff by 7k rpm, so that's a 3k window of fun / screaming the **** off your car to get it going, Twin scroll starts moving around 2.5k rpm all the way to 8k, remap to around the 350bhp mark and a load of handling mods and you'll have a serious weapon that will out run much more powerful UK cars due to that early spool which is what counts in the real world, because the reality is we don't all drive around at 120mph.

Oh and lets not forget the all important rear wiper on JDM cars.
And folding mirrors
Old 29 October 2016, 10:04 AM
cornishlad
Scooby Newbie

Awesome thanks for that. That build thread is awesome, just read the first few pages and will carry on later Definitely set on a JDM now... that rear wiper just swayed it for me
Old 29 October 2016, 10:38 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Get the jdm better overall car IMO.
If you can stretch get a spec c a bit lighter car and better turbo etc will make for a nice weapon.

Easier to put it, all non twinscroll newage sti have true forged Pistons and all twinscroll have the later hypereratic Pistons. Both Pistons are good and I wouldn't worry about either.
All jdm blob onwards came with Dccd too inc pre widetrack as the uk only have it on widetrack on.
Old 29 October 2016, 06:18 PM
cornishlad
Scooby Newbie

I don't think my budget will stretch to a spec c, I will probably upgrade the turbo to a higher power twin scroll at some point anyway... It's going to be a long term project so I expect over time most things will be upgraded to be better than spec c anyway!