A few questions GC8

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2016, 01:59 AM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions GC8

Hi guys,

I just got my 1999 Classic GC8 Impreza Sti Version 6 JDM.

Do we call these cars GC8's or classics?

I have a few questions to ask as I've been searching through loads of threads and I have researched a lot of answered I needed but just need pointing in the right direction on some of them.

My car has a boost gauge and an Apexi AVCR. But the screen of the AVCR didn't seem to be on. But after looking at the manual I don't want to ruin anything. Is this normal or should I try to "turn it on"?

On that note I was told my car was remapped but I was sceptical of the supposed power since there was no dyno proof. So how can I tell if it has been remapped?

What is the standard boost a Sti v6 runs? Just so I can see if my car is running stock boost. This is my first petrol turbo car and Subaru.

I have a Blitz Power R FIT (looks to be some sort of Fuel Controller) and a Blitz Power Meter SJ. I'm sure the R FIT is in Japanese. Would this imply it's not mapped?

When I change the oil I will use 5w-40 and refill the oil filter and crank the engine without the sensor so it turns over but doesn't start. Is this correct?

My car is still in KPH I saw these little boxes that change the signal to make it MPH. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or where it connects to? I would like to see if I could do this myself or if I would need a garage to do this. I have to change the rear discs and pads next week and a few other things but hopefully it will do me well.

There are a few things about the car I don't know what they do but I'll take a picture of them and post them.

I apologise for the number of questions but I really appreciate taking the time to answer.

Thanks

Last edited by Dblock; 09 October 2016 at 02:01 AM.
Old 09 October 2016, 12:48 PM
TypeR99
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All classic saloons are GC8's so its either or.

Stock boost is 1.1 bar, with the amount of gadgets you have on the car and no sign of a uk remap I'd suggest taking it to someone and getting it checked. On the stock ecu your only mapping option for a 1999 is Ecutek or Eculabs. Both will set you back around £550 all in.

If it was me I'd sack off all the gadgetry and get a decent map on it that you know is safe and doesnt require a degree in Japanese to work out.

5w40 isnt ideal for a 17 year old car, either 10w40 or 10w50 Millers CFS would be my choice (I run a 1999 on 10w50).

There are kph to mph converters on ebay specifically for the 1999/2000 cars that come with wiring instructions. They wire to the 12" long wiring loom that comes off the speedo drive on the gearbox and are VERY easy to fit/wire. Power/earth/signal in/signal out, but as I say they come with instructions. Unfortunately I've had a look for a link and cant find one, but theyre around £40.
Old 09 October 2016, 02:17 PM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TypeR99
All classic saloons are GC8's so its either or.

Stock boost is 1.1 bar, with the amount of gadgets you have on the car and no sign of a uk remap I'd suggest taking it to someone and getting it checked. On the stock ecu your only mapping option for a 1999 is Ecutek or Eculabs. Both will set you back around £550 all in.

If it was me I'd sack off all the gadgetry and get a decent map on it that you know is safe and doesnt require a degree in Japanese to work out.

5w40 isnt ideal for a 17 year old car, either 10w40 or 10w50 Millers CFS would be my choice (I run a 1999 on 10w50).

There are kph to mph converters on ebay specifically for the 1999/2000 cars that come with wiring instructions. They wire to the 12" long wiring loom that comes off the speedo drive on the gearbox and are VERY easy to fit/wire. Power/earth/signal in/signal out, but as I say they come with instructions. Unfortunately I've had a look for a link and cant find one, but theyre around £40.
Yes I think your right. I've been looking at a RCM340 and a fuelabs fpr mini. Maybe a Decat lol. Then I'll be off to see a mapper. Probably mr Forrest.

Ok that's a good idea. Thank you.

Also that's good. I want to work on the car as much as I can as it's experience for me.

Thank you for the help. It helped me so much.
Old 09 October 2016, 03:25 PM
TypeR99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dblock
Yes I think your right. I've been looking at a RCM340 and a fuelabs fpr mini. Maybe a Decat lol. Then I'll be off to see a mapper. Probably mr Forrest.
total overkill, 255 pump in the tank will be more than enough. As I said, dont over complicate things.
Old 09 October 2016, 03:41 PM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TypeR99
total overkill, 255 pump in the tank will be more than enough. As I said, dont over complicate things.
I read that the walbro quality wasn't very good. Has that now changed? I'll get a 255. Thanks
Old 09 October 2016, 05:52 PM
TypeR99
Scooby Regular

Genuine walbro are as good as it comes. The RCM/HRC/Scoobworx etc pumps are all made elsewhere and rebranded. I went through 2x HRC 340 pumps in a year, put a walbro 255 in and its been perfect.
Old 09 October 2016, 07:49 PM
Shane
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Talk to Alyn at AS Performance, he's an authorised Walboro supplier so you'll know you're getting the real deal.
Old 09 October 2016, 08:16 PM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Ok cool I will do just that!
Old 10 October 2016, 05:22 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Ok, can we confirm its an MY00 (a 2000 model version 6?) easiest way is you need to depress the clutch to start.

Oil, 5w40 will be fine, if she uses oil then and only then go for a thicker one.

Remapped, you wont know unless you look at the ecu (ecutek sticker on it) or take her to a mapper who can check for you
Old 10 October 2016, 10:03 PM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Ok, can we confirm its an MY00 (a 2000 model version 6?) easiest way is you need to depress the clutch to start.

Oil, 5w40 will be fine, if she uses oil then and only then go for a thicker one.

Remapped, you wont know unless you look at the ecu (ecutek sticker on it) or take her to a mapper who can check for you
It's Version 6 as you do have to depress the clutch.

Ok I'll keep an eye on oil consumption.

Cheers guys