Vf29 on a wrx blobleye

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2016, 05:53 PM
jf12345
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vf29 on a wrx blobleye

Hi lads,

This is my first post and need some advice, i have my eyes set on a VF29 turbo as a upgrade for my standard 55 plate wrx blobeye, i have allready bought injectors decat upipe and down pipe and a up rated fuel pump, did a compression test on my engine all four cylinders running roughly 165psi so good to go, this turbo is literally half the price of a VF35.

is this turbo capable of 340BHP and the same torque?

i have read it has a different location for the pressure hose on the wastegate actuator does this matter? will it still bolt on directly? and everything connect properly?

i am not mechanic and would like some info.

cheers.
Old 26 September 2016, 06:13 PM
TypeR99
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theyre cheap for a reason.

The newest you'll find is off a 99 wrx ra or similar so will be 17 years old. Similar to the VF28 in terms of age.

VF35 is off a newage, the most popular turbo for wrx owners and cheap to repair.

Why 340bhp? If thats your power aim your gearbox and engine would be my concern, especially as the car sounds like its standard at the moment. Asking an 11 year old engine/box/clutch/brakes etc to suddenly handle 50% more power than it ever has usually ends in some sort of mess, so start saving for future repairs.

You'll also struggle to make your quoted power with the tgv's in place, and a 3 port boost solenoid would be advised.

My advice would be to reign in your 340 expectations, 320-330 is an easier to achieve number. I'd also pay the extra and get a VF35, but if you're intent on doing it on a budget then look for a vf28, 29 or pre-historic VF23/24
Old 26 September 2016, 09:04 PM
jf12345
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi TypeR99.

im going to find a bit more info and pictures of the turbo, mileage, any play in the shaft, worn blades etc

if its in very good condition and for the price i might be interested unless i see a VF35 in good condition for the right money, i would like to spend as little as possible but i wont buy cheap rubbish for the sake of it. to be fair i would buy the turbo thats in the best condition.

i thought that would be a nice round figure and from what i read on scoobynet and various forums 320-340lb ft torque is roughly what a 5 speed box that's in decent nick would hold but i don't want to chase BHP/torque for the sake of the reliability of the car. i suppose i got to be realistic.

i will have a read up and research on TGV's not familiar.

cheers for the tips and knowledgeable reply.