Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

I'm back again, Type R this time

Old 14 September 2016, 04:18 PM
Aaron_P85
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm back again, Type R this time

So i previously owned a V3 STi, not many modifications and then sold it....then got the itch again a few years ago and bought a JDM Hawk', spunked a **** load of money on it and it ended up looking like this...

My Youtube Channel, all the videos from the Hawkeye to the current Type R are listed and being updated often now: www.youtube.com/c/aaronsvideos555
I sold the Hawk and immediately regretted it, So with the help of a friend www.Shorts-Imports.co.uk bought a Type R in Japan and got it shipped over here, began buying parts for it before it had left Japan...so it arrived in the country 12th of August - I've sent the registration documents off and waiting for my V5 to come back, in the mean time I've stripped the front end..

got it looking halfway finished, the body will require a little work to it, nothing too bad, the car came over on standard 16s with winter tyres, these were immediately sold and I purchased some Works Emotions with Goodyear F1 assy 3's..

Then I butchered the dash to create three single dins....after i removed the birds nest!!
one slot for my gauges, one for the headunit and one for motorsport switches, I'm getting custom made covers too...

and now... it's in for it's rebuild.

2.1 CDB with 14mm Headstuds
RCM Precision Turbo & inlet
RCM Manifolds
RCM Pump
RCM FPR
Harvery Up pipe
850cc injectors
japspeed turbo back exhaust
massive k&n cone filter
6 speed etc etc you get the idea
Alcatek and bob rawle map

Should be getting it back on Friday for the wonderful 1000 run in too

So i'll update again, once I've got it back - Japspeed are wanting a before/during and after video of the exhaust so that will probably be the next one up

Last edited by Aaron_P85; 14 September 2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 14 September 2016, 04:42 PM
malevolent_sti
Scooby Regular

Welcome back! Looking forward to the waking the dead videos.
Old 14 September 2016, 06:46 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Welcome back pal nice motor the hawkeye was sikk can't wait to see the progress on this one I'm sure it will evolve nicely
Old 14 September 2016, 07:21 PM
jonnyboy82
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Subscribed! And lovely hawk too!
Old 14 September 2016, 10:07 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Not keen on morette headlights on the classics but will keep an eye on thread.
Old 15 September 2016, 12:07 AM
Dazz01
Scooby Regular

I love those waking the dead, high boost and launch control buttons. I cant wait to see more on this
Old 15 September 2016, 05:58 AM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Lovely typeR - why the engine rebuild so soon after purchase? Was it needed or just the path you are taking with the car..
Old 15 September 2016, 08:37 AM
Aaron_P85
Scooby Regular

Reliability, well as much as you can with 500bhp... rather get it done now and enjoy the car instead of waiting for it to pop and start again, I'm still waiting for the registration so I've lost zero driving time having it built so win/win for me 😁👍
Originally Posted by RAF1
Lovely typeR - why the engine rebuild so soon after purchase? Was it needed or just the path you are taking with the car..
Old 16 September 2016, 04:09 PM
Aaron_P85
Scooby Regular

I was 50/50 but think, matched with the JUN splitter, when it's all painted and looking nice, they give a 'mean' look about it... got standards and Black Crystals to put in too when I fancy a change
Old 16 September 2016, 06:06 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Another one bites the dust!
Old 25 September 2016, 05:27 PM
Aaron_P85
Scooby Regular

Got to love the hate :-)

So I had people asking on my channel for updates so the day I got the car back from the builder, I done a very quick walk round - still missing my 850cc injectors, samco inlet, K&N and couple lightweight Pullies, I had to stick with OEM inlet to run the engine in as the samco doesn't have a hole for the idle controller, so I'll installed 3 port/4bar map sensor/turbo inlet /K&N/ injectors and FMIC on the day of mapping when I install Alcatek and go mafless thus eliminating the pipe on the inlet and can just stick a little breather filter on by the manifold!

Anyway...

Old 30 September 2016, 11:39 AM
Aaron_P85
Scooby Regular

So I've got to relocate my PAS reservoir to allow for the custom samco to fit... couldn't find a knackered newage pump to steal from, so bought new from Subaru... wow! £38.60 part number 34431fe010 - never felt so violated in all my life for a connector haha

34431FE010
Old 30 September 2016, 02:04 PM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what gauges are those mate?
Old 30 September 2016, 02:09 PM
Aaron_P85
Scooby Regular

Depo racing - stepper motors and accurate as hell for Taiwan copies, I'm impressed with them
Old 30 September 2016, 02:26 PM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

based on that video they look pretty good. I like the fact they have a digital reading as well. I assume they came with everything needed?
Old 30 September 2016, 02:34 PM
Aaron_P85
Scooby Regular

Everything's in the video yeah - even those screw in holders but I'm not a fan of those
Old 09 October 2016, 08:02 PM
Aaron_P85
Scooby Regular

Ok - engine was built, I've very painfully done the 1000 mile run in, in exactly two weeks last Tuesday night, changed the oil for Millers 10w60 Nano Tech and JDM Filter and done a futher 150 odd miles.... everything is sweet - thus far...

It's back at my Engine Builder (Andy Kindon of AK Automotive in Chester le Street - HIGHLY recommended) he's fitting the 6 speed Non-DccD I got from Pole Position that has been rebuilt and fitted with a LSD, 3 port boost solenoid, 3bar GM MAP sensor, Samco turbo intake (I had to relocate the PAS tank)/45degree elbow/k&n ru1785 & new clutch... then on Thursday Bob Rawle is coming to fit the Alcatek and map :-)

I'm like a kid at christmas already haha

Hopefully I'll break the magic 500bhp ***** swinging pub number!!

2.1 CDB
14mm Headstud conversion
RCM Fuel Pump
RCM Manifolds
RCM/Samco inlet
RCM Fuel Pressure Regulator
RCM/Precision Turbo (stock location)
Harvey Trick Up-Pipe
OEM JDM V3 Heads
turbo back Japspeed exhaust
850cc injectors
alcatek
K&n 1785

will update on thursday, or subscribe to my Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/geordieaaron

Last edited by Aaron_P85; 09 October 2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10 October 2016, 10:54 AM
AP3491
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello fellow Aaron P spelt the right way too!! Nice car mate can not wait to see end product, are you going to keep it here or post a new one up in the build thread, nice work
Old 10 October 2016, 08:17 PM
Aaron_P85
Scooby Regular

I'll just keep everything here I think.. 👍
Originally Posted by AP3491
Hello fellow Aaron P spelt the right way too!! Nice car mate can not wait to see end product, are you going to keep it here or post a new one up in the build thread, nice work
Old 15 October 2016, 08:31 PM
Aaron_P85
Scooby Regular

Gutted.
Sent the car to the engine builder after I changed the running in oil/filter for him to fit FMIC/3 port solenoid/3bar map sensor and install the 6 speed conversion I'd bought from a well known breakers and give the car a final check over.
The day came, Bob Rawle installed the Alcatek, put a base map on and sorted the idle etc... we set off for the road map and the car started jumping round and locking up.... JDM R180 rear diff had been sent with UK gearbox.

Devastated was not the word - I'm now unable to use the car until the next map session up here which is going to be 4-6 weeks time!
Replacement diff is being sent out to me and will be changed Monday coming.
Old 15 October 2016, 09:13 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Gutted for you mate. Hope you get it sorted just ashame you hit a problem after looking forward to it. These things happen tho
Old 16 October 2016, 02:37 PM
Cullenmin
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice spec on the car, will be interested to see how the mapping goes. What is your plans after that?

Rich
Old 19 October 2016, 07:31 PM
Aaron_P85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nortonscooby
Gutted for you mate. Hope you get it sorted just ashame you hit a problem after looking forward to it. These things happen tho
Gutted isn't the word Still waiting to hear when Bob is back up this way to map it - received the 'proper' diff yesterday, it's being fitted tomorrow - hopefully it's the correct one.
Originally Posted by Cullenmin
Nice spec on the car, will be interested to see how the mapping goes. What is your plans after that?

Rich
Once mapped, i'll be getting it undersealed, protecting the paint for the winter (semi-daily car) then in the new year get the minor dents/scratches sorted along with the splitter and fogs colour coded then just enjoy it....for now haha

famous last words, eh!

Can't even update the youtube channel with anything either https://www.youtube.com/c/aaronsvideos555
Old 19 October 2016, 07:47 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aaron_P85
Gutted isn't the word Still waiting to hear when Bob is back up this way to map it - received the 'proper' diff yesterday, it's being fitted tomorrow - hopefully it's the correct one.

Once mapped, i'll be getting it undersealed, protecting the paint for the winter (semi-daily car) then in the new year get the minor dents/scratches sorted along with the splitter and fogs colour coded then just enjoy it....for now haha

famous last words, eh!

Can't even update the youtube channel with anything either https://www.youtube.com/c/aaronsvideos555
Look forward to some new youtube vids then mate. the lads at p.p do know there stuff and im sure they as gutted as you and mistakes do happen.
Old 29 November 2016, 07:32 PM
Aaron_P85
Scooby Regular

RIGHT!!

So after being a second diff to remedy the above problem, it turns out that the gearbox had the incorrect centre diff - Pole Position offered to pay half my money back upfront, and the balance once the box was back in their hands, and they did so - so we're all good there.

Andy Kindon was crazy busy so the car just sat there until he had to time do the above, I bought another non dccd setup from East Kent Subaru after JUST missing out on Matt's DCCD setup (MB Developments) and Scott's Non-DCCD setup (Scobby Spares).

I've just had the all clear from Andy, the setup works as it should :-) so it's all go for Bob Rawle's second attempt at mapping the car....on Thursday haha

I've got everything crossed for a good result now!

I've also sent a V6 spoiler and the fog covers to be painted in 74F and should get those back Thursday or Friday too :-D
Old 09 December 2016, 07:21 PM
Aaron_P85
Scooby Regular

Ok!
Car was mapped last Thursday, 1st of December.
WOW - how awesome is live road mapping! I'd always given my car to Andy Forrest and he'd come back 30/45minutes later with a load of datalogs and my car tuned - however, for logistical reasons and recommendations - this time I went with Bob Rawle, what an absolute gent he was with regards to my above gearbox issue!
Anyway - map day came, he dialled in my launch and antilag and asked what I was hoping for...I replied 500.01bhp - he wished me good luck (not in a sarcastic way) and said there wasn't much feedback about the turbo i'd chosen and asked about the spec of the car etc for his data tables.
so we're off... all going swimmingly, my nerves just started to subside then BANG boost pipe blew off - I shat my kegs!!! thankfully the clip was still there and I could just about manage to get it back on... off we go again.

all done and dusted, I ended up with 472bhp with 415 Torques, which, whilst impressed with and its no slow coach - it's no 500...so i'll be looking to change turbos this time next year if i still feel the same after having it during the summer to a couple of events etc
so, left Andy Kindons workshop once Bob removed his gear from the car and took it straight to Adrian at AC Autocolour in North Shields to pick up/install my front fog covers and V6 spoiler :-D VERY happy, as always by his work absolute OCD addict with his work, he is!

anyway - a couple pictures and a teaser video until next week when I have time to do a proper video etc when Im off work... the splitter is being painted next week also (i was too impatient to leave it haha)

Old 10 December 2016, 05:36 PM
Aaron_P85
Scooby Regular

Managed a quick video, in the damp and miserable weather and a minging dirty car..
Old 10 December 2016, 07:21 PM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Interested to know how you rate it vs the prancing horse?
Old 09 January 2017, 06:21 PM
Aaron_P85
Scooby Regular

So I've got a couple little updates again..I've had the front splitter painted thank god!!

I've also had the terrible rattle sorted (video below) out by Japspeed replacing the knackered (brand new) backbox.

and tested it out today with the new gopro i've bought for track days/long runs etc

I'll be getting the car undersealed ASAP, get it detailed then do a few more videos, walk round the car etc if anyone can think of anything else you/others may want to see/hear?
Old 10 January 2017, 04:38 PM
Aaron_P85
Scooby Regular

Another video..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm back again, Type R this time