Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would a WR1 be a decent investment ?

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2016, 11:10 PM
angel1368
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would a WR1 be a decent investment ?

Just looking at getting something fun that might just go up in value over the years, ive narrowed it down right now to impreza wr1 a d an r33 gtr skyline , my luck as soon as i buy one the prices will plummet but what do people think or are there any other suggestions my budget is around £14500 tops, many thanks for reading
Old 01 August 2016, 11:36 PM
b20sx
Scooby Newbie

I think both would be a good investment....I'd say with the skyline it would depend on what model you go for.....vspec.....etc?

Also it will depend on the history and care of the car as well.....if your looking at an investment I would look for something quite stock which had been owned for a prolonged period by an enthusiast! Even some of your more expensive skylines....scoobys....evos....have been poorly maintained these days!

A well maintained p1 will cost you anything from 10k onwards and the rest!

On ebay there is quite a high spec r33 skyline a tommy kaira edition....its 29k but that is a good benchmark of what will be worth major money in the future !
Old 01 August 2016, 11:59 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

OE and unmolested will maintain and gain more value than a Halford special.
Old 02 August 2016, 07:29 AM
Petermaccoll
Scooby Regular

If you are looking for a mint wr1 I know a guy who is considering selling his car. I believe it has only done around 20k miles. If you would like any details drop me a pm and I can ask the question. I've just sold my Subaru, so will probably regret that very soon and be in the market for another!
Old 02 August 2016, 12:11 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the only Subaru that might be a decent investment is a 22b, but what's the point if you can't drive it for fear of putting too many miles on it? True car investments are rarities from the great manufacturers; they're traded, wrapped in cotton wool and hidden away for a few years in temperature-controlled garages. But they don't cost £14.5K!
Old 02 August 2016, 01:14 PM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

I would keep your eyes peeled for a JDM impreza, specifically a Spec C, if the budget allows a Typre RA. There are a few floating around right on the edge of your budget.

More desirable, strong investments, easier to sell when that time comes.
Old 02 August 2016, 04:04 PM
poffer1
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would stay away from anything too rare or expensive to run:
Cars often make quite poor investments. Yes, they can rise in value sometimes, but they need fettling, so you can't just bung them in a lockup. Also, the older they get, the more important a dry garage is.

The classic car market is pretty overpriced at the moment. Depending on political ripples post brexit, the classic market could tank.....last time that happened (2000 ish?) value dropped by over 50%. In some case around 75% (modern classics follow the "proper" classics for values).

So, I think your idea for a WR1 is a good one - different, fun, readily available parts (as nothing too unique was used) and may hold its value or depreciate less than most.

Last edited by poffer1; 02 August 2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02 August 2016, 09:35 PM
GH80
Scooby Regular

If you just bought a minter for 14.5k and kept it tucked away, then it might get you a decent return. However, if you use it at all the miles will slowly creep up, and what is the point owning and not enjoying a car. You will have insurance bills, servicing and MOT. These cars will degrade over time too so lots of big bills on the way if you are keeping long term.
I reckon doing 4k miles every year mine costs about £1.5-2k before I put any fuel in it. I really can't see the prices going up faster than that year on year. if it does then it would be marginal and you could have made a better profit elsewhere.
If you are buying just to make money I would look elsewhere. Although its nice to do man maths to justify buying something nice
Old 03 August 2016, 07:28 PM
angel1368
Scooby Regular

Well thats certainly food for thought thank you guys
Old 03 August 2016, 09:19 PM
walrus
Scooby Regular

I think both the WR1 and the R33 GTR are unlikely to drop too much further.... If they do, I'll end up with a fleet of cars outside my house!

If I was in the same position and wanted a car now, I'd buy a Scooby (I'm biased), as £14.5k will get you a really mint car, whereas it's not a lot of money for GTR's (you're looking at a private sale with circa 100k on the clock for GTR vs very low Scooby miles).

However, I'm a huge fan of the R33 GTR and truth be told (though I whisper it around these parts), if I had the opportunity, I'd buy one. I'd be tempted to hold off a bit longer, increase your budget to around £20k and plump for Godzilla.

I hope that doesn't mean I'm banned...