Classic wagon v saloon

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2016, 10:00 AM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Classic wagon v saloon

Morning,
I currently have my eye on a classic MY00 wagon that is quite local to me and ticks a lot of boxes,1 owner,FSSH under 100k and it's going to be a second car that I want to keep and do a few little things to but nothing drastic-wheels,crystal lights etc.
I wanted an opinion though on future value (I know it's an unknown) as I've always wanted a saloon but they seem more expensive,harder to get untouched with low owners. Long term though do you think the saloon will be a better buy as it's more iconic than the wagon? I'm not out to make big money but it would be nice if years on its a proper classic and is a bit special in good condition but thought maybe people will think "that's nice but would be better if it was a saloon!"

Any other comments on the wagons performance would be great as I've heard they might handle better than the saloon?!

Thanks
Michael
Old 26 June 2016, 11:44 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saloon is already more expensive and desirable than a wagon and it always will be.
Old 26 June 2016, 11:45 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Saloons will always attract slightly more money. I have both
Old 26 June 2016, 07:47 PM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

53 what are your honest opinions on them both? I have had friends who have had classic wagons who swear by the handling, some even saying it's better than the saloon.
I have always wanted a saloon because of the rally days and Coiln McRae but with a little boy now and cost I think a wagon might be more affordable for a good one. Just worried years down the line the wagon won't be really remembered where as a tidy saloon will always turn heads at meets etc. And be sort after.
Old 28 June 2016, 12:43 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

To be honest i never liked the estate versions. But they have grown on me. In years to come any classic will get attention as there won't be any left.

But the Saloon will always be the most desirable one, as estate cars are never going to have the same creditably as a saloon. But if its a family car then there perfect, but if its a weekend car then i'd say saloon, but yet again if you haven't got a massive budget i'd go for estate, as its better to get a decent estate rather than a thrashed saloon.
Old 28 June 2016, 07:47 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchyboy
53 what are your honest opinions on them both? I have had friends who have had classic wagons who swear by the handling, some even saying it's better than the saloon.
I have always wanted a saloon because of the rally days and Coiln McRae but with a little boy now and cost I think a wagon might be more affordable for a good one. Just worried years down the line the wagon won't be really remembered where as a tidy saloon will always turn heads at meets etc. And be sort after.
I have had both GC8 cars but the wagon was a UK 99 Turbo and the other a JDM MY 99 STi saloon. Both good at what they do, the STi was better in all departments but could carry only slightly less in real terms per sq foot that the wagon. Having driven JDM Wagons they are a much better place to have fun than the equivalent UK spec car.

But I have had various wagons, two BP/BL JDM Leggy WR Ltd's, one SG Foggy STi and one UK Classic and one Newage wagon. They suit my requirements but the Saloons, both JDM (Classic and Newage) were always the "right" car for pushing on.

They can all be made to go better, faster and with enhanced handling but the saloon was always edging it for me.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 28 June 2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 28 June 2016, 10:17 PM
CharlesTuna
Scooby Regular

I've only ever had Classic Wagons, first two were UK2000s, and now I've got JDM V6 STi. . . I have driven saloons, but do prefer a good Wagon

What about this one for sale? It is a tad pricey :/

http://www.neweraimports.com/carDetails.jsp?carId=605

Old 28 June 2016, 10:24 PM
jonnyricer2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fear spoilers do improve the looks of the rear end some what.

Great looking car Mr tuna.
Old 28 June 2016, 11:27 PM
Scooby Senior

My GC8 is the **** I can't deny it's not, BUT my GF8 wagon was/is something special. They really get under your skin and definitely have a more playful rear end.

I missed my old 555 STi Wagon so I bought another one

Old 28 June 2016, 11:38 PM
CharlesTuna
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
My GC8 is the **** I can't deny it's not, BUT my GF8 wagon was/is something special. They really get under your skin and definitely have a more playful rear end.

I missed my old 555 STi Wagon so I bought another one

She looks nice All standard ??
Old 28 June 2016, 11:39 PM
CharlesTuna
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonnyricer2
The fear spoilers do improve the looks of the rear end some what.

Great looking car Mr tuna.
Thanks

I do like a nice looking rear
Old 28 June 2016, 11:54 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by CharlesTuna
She looks nice All standard ??
Yep fresh Grade 4 import 46k miles
Old 29 June 2016, 04:20 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Name:  72960d76b9baf78eb2cf08472a4843b8.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  842.4 KB

Think the salloons will be worth slightly more in the future but the wagon will always turn heads at shows for the rarety. Value
Old 29 June 2016, 11:15 AM
Lunchmoney
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are buying a car and already thinking of its resale value, why are you buying the car?
Genuine question as the concept of buying a car with that mindset is alien to me.
Old 29 June 2016, 05:43 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Lunchmoney
If you are buying a car and already thinking of its resale value, why are you buying the car?
Genuine question as the concept of buying a car with that mindset is alien to me.
Buying a car without that mindset is alien to me. It's just sensible financial planning.
Old 29 June 2016, 07:01 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by plenty
Buying a car without that mindset is alien to me. It's just sensible financial planning.
The wagons are fractionally heavier, but have marginally better weight distribution. Plus they're at bit more practical. And even when modified they still have the slight air of family transport which tends to put off some of the Saturday night at mcdonalds crowd.
I love mine.
Old 02 July 2016, 09:15 PM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

No worries about the question of resale, I realise it's not always the thing people think about and I'm not saying I'll sell,I'd like to keep for many years as s second vehicle but I've looked at Imprezas for the last 15 years since I was 17 and some have gained value. P1s, 22B all 3 door variants. I realise a saloon or wagon turbo 2000 will never be in the league of what I've just mentioned but as they get rarer/older it would be nice to think it's keeping / making value as it becomes a proper classic. I want to get a good one for longevity rather than one that has had lots of owners,high mileage and ropey bodywork.
Old 03 July 2016, 11:34 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i loved my wagon and was my first impreza. i had it running 320 bhp and the look on peoples faces when they got bested by an estate car was priceless. practical too i had a fridge and a cooker amongst other bulky items in the back of mine in its time. tin worm destroyed the back arches on mine and the bumper ended up hanging off and a bug sti came up at the right time so i moved on. still think they look great tho.
Old 04 July 2016, 10:15 PM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

Seen a low mileage,1 owner wagon completely standard and it has been looked after you can tell,interior is in such good condition.
Few questions
1) when i looked up underneath the back bumper one of the rear number plate lights was held on with cable ties,that beam looks quite rusty,not rotten but rusty-is this a known issue? Can it be replaced if needed?
2) the front end is sweet and all aligned but the bumper has slightly dropped drivers side. The gaps a bit bigger,can it be sorted easily do you think?
3) brakes aren't great,apparently have never been-usual?
4) rear arches look good with the slightest bubble smaller than a small fingernail but I know this is still bad as its from the inside,last a couple more years?
5) back bumper at both sides near wheel as it comes around and joins rear arch slightly loose,think it's lost a fixing,normal?

I am being picky it looks lovely in the flesh and has great service history,just trying to decide on it as it will need arches in a couple of years I guess. Being completely standard I was a bit underwhelmed but maybe because I had a 350bhp blob eye.
All answers and opinions greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Old 04 July 2016, 10:24 PM
Scooby Senior

Rust walk away, the end
Old 05 July 2016, 07:26 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Seen a low mileage,1 owner wagon completely standard and it has been looked after you can tell,interior is in such good condition.
Not many one owners left I'm probably one of the only few in the uk to have owned a classic for 16 years
Few questions

1) when i looked up underneath the back bumper one of the rear number plate lights was held on with cable ties,that beam looks quite rusty,not rotten but rusty-is this a known issue? Can it be replaced if needed?
New beam maybe £100

2) the front end is sweet and all aligned but the bumper has slightly dropped drivers side. The gaps a bit bigger,can it be sorted easily do you think?
Must if had a slight parking shunt so a big job to reline I would just accept it and live with it
3) brakes aren't great,apparently have never been-usual?
New pads and discs and fluid £200
4) rear arches look good with the slightest bubble smaller than a small fingernail but I know this is still bad as its from the inside,last a couple more years?
Probably get 3/4 years out of it mine started like that at year 10 and it did spread slowly for 5years but mine was garaged and never used in the wet so normal use 2/3/4 years

5) back bumper at both sides near wheel as it comes around and joins rear arch slightly loose,think it's lost a fixing,normal?
All classics drop at the back bumper as the bracket rusts away behind the lip so Easy fix is the cable tie method or put a larger screw in the bracket but the rust has taken hold so it might not be possible

I am being picky it looks lovely in the flesh and has great service history,just trying to decide on it as it will need arches in a couple of years I guess. Being completely standard I was a bit underwhelmed but maybe because I had a 350bhp blob eye.
All answers and opinions greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Arches replacemt on eBay just over £100 a pair to buy
You will need the trim for the lip amd plastic at the bottom of your old ones are in bad condition
Body shop to cut away and replace maybe £600-£800 as there might be rust to tackle inside and the rear if the sills so budget for a grand

Name:  3b888670e7d1a9b984ad23ec807ea621.jpg
Size:  675.8 KB
Name:  78f3e082a4cec001e8c8a7b6b5f4ed1d.jpg
Size:  298.0 KB

Name:  3163adfb7876de8f3a06bc9981389da7.jpg
Size:  257.2 KB

Name:  66bb43c3d742610be4e2cf37be58bcaa.jpg
Size:  259.6 KB

Name:  1c552e4345ebe712e4b4716615a3e205.jpg
Size:  263.7 KB

Name:  cbee43c8edc34121067178065790c43e.jpg
Size:  301.3 KB

Name:  2bf2d4119d9f1fdad77847c2bac84d68.jpg
Size:  278.4 KB

Another classic saved

Old 05 July 2016, 10:08 PM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

I know the first response was rust walk away but not sure I'll get a classic without rust to be honest.
Lordharding thanks for your detailed responses,it's been garaged and I'm aiming to garage as well as I generally use a truck for work.
Think it might have had a slight tickle with something down a lane but as everything else is lined up I was hoping it would be an easy fix if I removed the bumper.
Old 05 July 2016, 10:10 PM
Scooby Senior

I know the first response was rust walk away but not sure I'll get a classic without rust to be honest.
Lordharding thanks for your detailed responses,it's been garaged and I'm aiming to garage as well as I generally use a truck for work.
Think it might have had a slight tickle with something down a lane but as everything else is lined up I was hoping it would be an easy fix if I removed the bumper.
I have 2 ? You just have to be patient
Old 09 July 2016, 10:39 PM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

So test drove and it seemed good but maybe slightly underwhelming. Looked at MOT test sheet,few advisories that worry me a bit. Can anyone give some idea on cost please:
Both rear brake back plates corroded
Both rear trailing arms corroded
Both rear trailing arm mounts corroded
Front and rear sills corroded at jacking points
Slight corrosion OSR chassis subframe mount.

I think it's put me off considerably so will keep looking but advice on these issue cost wise and if they are common for future reference would be great.

Thanks
Old 18 July 2016, 01:00 PM
Shane
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Not sure what your budget is but I've just put mine up for sale.

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...00-1999-a.html

Shane
Old 18 July 2016, 01:53 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shane
Not sure what your budget is but I've just put mine up for sale.

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...00-1999-a.html

Shane
Just checked out the ad. That is a very nice car. GLWTS.