Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Using your subaru as a second / weekend car?

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2016, 08:44 AM
MATT93
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using your subaru as a second / weekend car?

Just after some advice.

I'm sure some of you do use your Subaru as a second / weekend car.

Currently my Subaru is my daily driver. My hope / plan is to get a cheap run about that I can use daily as my commute to work is pretty long.

How do you go about insuring a second car though? My insurance does cover me to drive other peoples cars 3rd party so I suppose there's nothing stopping me putting the car into someone else's name and getting them to insure it.

Thanks,

Matt.
Old 13 June 2016, 08:51 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

i run a 1.2 C1 citreon lease car, £600 first payment followed by 17 of £52,

£30 to fill and 250 miles driven like a rental car should be.

Both my cars are insured on company policy Insurance is £450 for the year. for any car, but scoob has age limit of 25,.

Consider the scoob is £60 to fill and lucky to see 150 to a tank is driven properly.

Last edited by SmurfyBhoy; 13 June 2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 13 June 2016, 09:09 AM
MATT93
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy
i run a 1.2 C1 citreon lease car, £600 first payment followed by 17 of £52,

Both my cars are insured on company policy Insurance is £450 for the year. for any car, but scoob has age limit of 25,.

Consider the scoob is £60 to fill and lucky to see 150 to a tank is driven properly.
Excellent, Yeah I had a little 1.2 clio as a run about for a while. £40 got me almost 450miles or there abouts.

Ahh, Company policy.

I'm 23 with 5 years NCB though when I try to insure a little **** run about they still want to charge me around £800! , this is ontop of what I am already paying for the Subaru!

Matt.
Old 13 June 2016, 09:11 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MATT93
Excellent, Yeah I had a little 1.2 clio as a run about for a while. £40 got me almost 450miles or there abouts.

Ahh, Company policy.

I'm 23 with 5 years NCB though when I try to insure a little **** run about they still want to charge me around £800! , this is ontop of what I am already paying for the Subaru!

Matt.
I'm 25 the now just lucky i can add the cars to the policy,
saved me a fortune on the scoob, quoted £2k for that alone with mods n 9 points
Old 13 June 2016, 10:15 AM
Northernnick
Scooby Regular

I use a volvo 2003 v40 1.9d
£1500 worth of car, £450 to insure and gets me 40-50mpg depending.

Then my Subaru is a JDM STi with mods declated.
£550 insurance with 8k miles, though i likely do about half that.

Both insured with Admiral, 24 years old when i took out this policy.
Old 13 June 2016, 10:36 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

I have two separate polices running one for the A45 AMG (Daily drive) and one for my Scoob which has all mods declared and a mileage limit of 4000 per year.

Somehow I appear to have gained 11 years NCD on the scoob policy even though I have only had the car a little over two years, not complaining mind.

12 years NCD on one policy and 11 on the other.

The problem with putting the insurance in someone else's name and driving it on your policy is 3rd part cover only !!
Not worth the risk in my opinion.
would only work if you were a named driver but then the cost, I would be tempted to insure the scoob correctly and maybe do something
like that on your daily drive to reduce costs.

Last edited by Scooby-Mark; 13 June 2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 13 June 2016, 10:45 AM
MATT93
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby-Mark
I have two separate polices running one for the A45 AMG (Daily drive) and one for my Scoob which has all mods declared and a mileage limit of 4000 per year.

Somehow I appear to have gained 11 years NCD on the scoob policy even though I have only had the car a little over two years, not complaining mind.

12 years NCD on one policy and 11 on the other.

The problem with putting the insurance in someone else's name and driving it on your policy is 3rd part cover only !!
Not worth the risk in my opinion.
would only work if you were a named driver but then the cost, I would be tempted to insure the scoob correctly and maybe do something
like that on your daily drive to reduce costs.
Mark,

My plan would be to keep the Subaru as is, in my name, my insurance etc.

What I was thinking is insure the cheap run about, say a £500/1000 car in someone else's name, there for my Subaru insurance would allow me to drive the other daily car covered 3rd party. (I wouldn't go fully comp anyway as the car wouldn't be worth a whole lot).

Matt.
Old 13 June 2016, 10:56 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a Saab 9-5 Aero Estate as my daily and my Subaru as my weekend. Both insured on seperate policies with Adrian Flux. £550 for the Saab, £450 for the Subaru believe it or not. Yes it's expensive insuring, taxing and servicing two cars but it means the Subaru gets really pampered and it's more of a treat to drive.

I'm insured on the Saab to drive any other vehicle on a 3rd party basis, but any vehicle still has to have its own policy regardless.

25 years old.

Last edited by LSherratt; 13 June 2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 13 June 2016, 10:58 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Mark,

What I was thinking is insure the cheap run about, say a £500/1000 car in someone else's name, there for my Subaru insurance would allow me to drive the other daily car covered 3rd party. (I wouldn't go fully comp anyway as the car wouldn't be worth a whole lot).

Matt.

That would be the way I would do it too, kind of what I was getting at too

Mark
Old 13 June 2016, 01:14 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Mark,

Matt.
You mean the illegal practise of "fronting"?

Not really something I would advise on a public forum.
Old 13 June 2016, 01:46 PM
MATT93
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
You mean the illegal practise of "fronting"?

Not really something I would advise on a public forum.
Well if that's what its called then yeah.

Funny, there's nothing that states in my insurance that I cannot do that......

It states that I can drive any car third party as long as it is not owned by me nor a hired car.

Thanks for your helpful comment though.
Old 13 June 2016, 01:59 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Well if that's what its called then yeah.

Funny, there's nothing that states in my insurance that I cannot do that......

It states that I can drive any car third party as long as it is not owned by me nor a hired car.

Thanks for your helpful comment though.
Your insurance policy doesn't state that it is illegal to misrepresent who is the main driver of the car?

When you complete the quote, it is going to ask you who is the main driver of the car, to which you are going to put "the policy holder", yes? When it is in fact going to be you.

Why spend money fraudulently acquiring worthless motor insurance, when you could just not bother
Old 13 June 2016, 02:12 PM
MATT93
Scooby Regular

Your insurance policy doesn't state that it is illegal to misrepresent who is the main driver of the car?

When you complete the quote, it is going to ask you who is the main driver of the car, to which you are going to put "the policy holder", yes? When it is in fact going to be you.

Why spend money fraudulently acquiring worthless motor insurance, when you could just not bother
I give up.
Old 13 June 2016, 02:30 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

You may well be able to drive another insured car 3rd party only but only as an occasional driver.

The policy holder should be the main driver of the car;

If a driver regularly uses a car to drive to or from work / place of education then they should be the registered main driver.

If a driver uses the car on a daily basis, then they should be the registered main driver.

If the car is maintained by the driver, then they should be the main driver.

This is what you are proposing to do, yes?

You're trying to reduce your insurance premium by misrepresenting the facts? You're saying that someone else is the main driver and policy holder, so that the premium will be less?

The same as insuring your Scooby in your Nan's name, when it's in fact your car and you drive it all the time?

Or not declaring the 2.35 forged engine running 500bhp?

Or not mentioning that you have 10 points for speeding and a previous conviction for drink driving?

Or saying that you only do 4k a year SDP, when you in fact drive 40k for business?

Do what you like but what you are proposing is insurance fraud.

Try contacting Admiral and ask for a multi-car quote. You may find it's not as much as you expect as you can only drive one car at a time and therefore the risks are not cumulative.

Last edited by TECHNOPUG; 13 June 2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 13 June 2016, 02:37 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

You may well be able to drive another insured car 3rd party only but only as an occasional driver.

The policy holder should be the main driver of the car;

If a driver regularly uses a car to drive to or from work / place of education then they should be the registered main driver.

If a driver uses the car on a daily basis, then they should be the registered main driver.

If the car is maintained by the driver, then they should be the main driver.

This is what you are proposing to do, yes?

You're trying to reduce your insurance premium by misrepresenting the facts? You're saying that someone else is the main driver and policy holder, so that the premium will be less?

The same as insuring your Scooby in your Nan's name, when it's in fact your car and you drive it all the time?

Or not declaring the 2.35 forged engine running 500bhp?

Or not mentioning that you have 10 points for speeding and a previous conviction for drink driving?

Or saying that you only do 4k a year SDP, when you in fact drive 40k for business?

Do what you like but what you are proposing is insurance fraud.

Try contacting Admiral and ask for a multi-car quote. You may find it's not as much as you expect as you can only drive one car at a time and therefore the risks are not cumulative.

I had a Toyota Glanza insured as a non turbo

Didn't get caught, didn't crash no harm done

Saved £3k
Old 13 June 2016, 02:50 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

I had a Toyota Glanza insured as a non turbo

Didn't get caught, didn't crash no harm done

Saved £3k
And what would have happened if you did try to make a claim?

Your insurance would have been invalid and you would have been charged and received an IN10 in court.

So you paid for completely worthless insurance. You would have saved a whole lot more if you had just not bothered.

You're advocating lying about your insurance as it's fine if you don't get caught?

Why not just insure your Scooby as a GX? As long as you are never in an accident, it doesn't matter, right?

In fact, why bother even getting insurance? I've never made a claim in 20 years. It's a total waste of money. If I don't get caught, then it's all fine, yes?

No harm, done right?

Phone your insurance company and tell them that you are buying another car but insuring it in someone's else name and ask them if it's OK to drive it every day 3rd TPO on your Scooby policy, see what they say.
Old 13 June 2016, 03:05 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

And what would have happened if you did try to make a claim?

Your insurance would have been invalid and you would have been charged and received an IN10 in court.

So you paid for completely worthless insurance. You would have saved a whole lot more if you had just not bothered.

You're advocating lying about your insurance as it's fine if you don't get caught?

Why not just insure your Scooby as a GX? As long as you are never in an accident, it doesn't matter, right?

In fact, why bother even getting insurance? I've never made a claim in 20 years. It's a total waste of money. If I don't get caught, then it's all fine, yes?

No harm, done right?

Phone your insurance company and tell them that you are buying another car but insuring it in someone's else name and ask them if it's OK to drive it every day 3rd TPO on your Scooby policy, see what they say.

Yes exactly no harm done lol,

i had to have some sort of policy or else i would be pulled everytime i drove past a cop car,

I actually tried it on my scooby,

told them i had no points (instead of 9) and it wasnt modified , lasted a month, because i had done muliple quotes saying otherwise

They asked for proof car wasnt modded and asked me to take it to a garage

Came clean they didn't care just says policy would change from £1100 to £2300,

So what i did was add it to company policy with an age limit of 25 this cost £450 for the year,

Unfortunatly i was still 24 so had to drive again for another year until it was all legit

But now im 25 and fully covered mods as well so yea no harm done,
Old 13 June 2016, 03:13 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Yes exactly no harm done lol,

i had to have some sort of policy or else i would be pulled everytime i drove past a cop car,

I actually tried it on my scooby,

told them i had no points (instead of 9) and it wasnt modified , lasted a month, because i had done muliple quotes saying otherwise

They asked for proof car wasnt modded and asked me to take it to a garage

Came clean they didn't care just says policy would change from £1100 to £2300,

So what i did was add it to company policy with an age limit of 25 this cost £450 for the year,

Unfortunatly i was still 24 so had to drive again for another year until it was all legit

But now im 25 and fully covered mods as well so yea no harm done,
Never any harm done if you don't get caught.

But you were aware that what you were doing was illegal and had you been caught your insurance would be invalidated and you could have faced further prosecution? We can agree on that?

The OP can do what he likes but as he's asked for advice on a public forum, I'm just advising him that what he's proposing is insurance fraud. What he chooses to do is up to him.
Old 13 June 2016, 03:18 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

What you say is 100% true it is totally illegal and you will have book thrown at you.

I was only saying from experience the best way to reduce the chances of getting caught !

If you run a de-cat or meth on the road your already a criminal !!!
Old 13 June 2016, 04:01 PM
malevolent_sti
Scooby Regular

What you say is 100% true it is totally illegal and you will have book thrown at you.

I was only saying from experience the best way to reduce the chances of getting caught !

If you run a de-cat or meth on the road your already a criminal !!!

Does a de-cat AND meth mean that they cancel each other out and you're legal again?
Old 13 June 2016, 04:06 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

You drive more carefully when you know your insurance is void !!
Old 13 June 2016, 05:27 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You drive more carefully when you know your insurance is void !!
Correct, you probably do - it doesn't mean those around you will though!! All it takes is someone to crash into you........ that, you can't control
Old 13 June 2016, 05:30 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Oh and to the OP - my insurer at the time mirrored my NCB! I'm running a TDCi Fester as a daily.
Old 13 June 2016, 05:41 PM
MATT93
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BLU
Oh and to the OP - my insurer at the time mirrored my NCB! I'm running a TDCi Fester as a daily.
Thats a pretty good deal! Who was that with?
Old 13 June 2016, 05:43 PM
Khandaris
Scooby Regular

Just take out a multi-car policy with Pace Ward. They are friendly to modified cars.

They will also discount the second car by 50% of the total premium price.

Totally legal and legit.

I have a 335bhp Scooby and a 550BHP Evo 5, all mods declared. Costs me £600 per year.

You also get separate NCB for both cars.
Old 13 June 2016, 05:54 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Thats a pretty good deal! Who was that with?
It was with LV. I had 9 years NCB so got a pretty good deal tbf!
Old 13 June 2016, 07:37 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

So true!

That sounds like a good price on the C1. Where did you get that deal?
Old 13 June 2016, 10:01 PM
Telf
Scooby Regular

My RB5 was a daily for a few years, then bought a fiesta zs as a second car, 2nd policy the insurance company nearly mirrored my no claims, giving my 5 from my full 9.

Move on 18 months, sell the fiesta, get a new WRX STi, moved the full no claims to the £30k car, RB now on less, but with a promise to match the full 9 after a claim free year.

Another 18 months on, I get a third car, to track and as a run around, will keep the miles off both the Subarus. Peugeot 206 GTi, £1000 to insure all three (separate policies), about the same to tax all three.
Old 13 June 2016, 10:05 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a kangoo van as daily 1.5 dci miser on fuel . Done 350 miles in scoob since I bought it in december more miles coming soon
Old 13 June 2016, 10:58 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

im 29 2yrs ncb, the m5 f10 is insured for £800 and added the hawkeye spec c type ra for an additional £234. all with avivva. But both vehicles are heavily secured with trackers and black vue camera systems.

The subaru makes an awesome weekend car.

Quick Reply: Using your subaru as a second / weekend car?