Impreza 2.0R Sport worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2016, 12:14 AM
Dazz01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza 2.0R Sport worth it?

Hello,

I am a huge Subaru fan and thinking on getting fun, semi fast car for my daily. Since I am young, Turbo Subaru's are too expensive and Insurance is high. My dream car is an 06 STI however since this is out of the question, is the Impreza 2.0R sport (non turbo) a good car to start off with because I have driven one (briefly) and it feels a tad slow. I am a huge fan of the Boxer motor and also would get aftermarket muffler to get some rumble happening. Fuel economy is not an issue for me as my fuel gets paid for me as part of work .

I have my eye on a Very nice looking 2008 Gunmetal gray Impreza sport for reasonable amount with 106,000kms.

Lmk what you guys think.
Old 06 June 2016, 01:14 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Dazz01
Hello,

I am a huge Subaru fan and thinking on getting fun, semi fast car for my daily. Since I am young, Turbo Subaru's are too expensive and Insurance is high. My dream car is an 06 STI however since this is out of the question, is the Impreza 2.0R sport (non turbo) a good car to start off with because I have driven one (briefly) and it feels a tad slow. I am a huge fan of the Boxer motor and also would get aftermarket muffler to get some rumble happening. Fuel economy is not an issue for me as my fuel gets paid for me as part of work .

I have my eye on a Very nice looking 2008 Gunmetal gray Impreza sport for reasonable amount with 106,000kms.

Lmk what you guys think.
2.0R as you say is a bit slow, my son wanted one and I test drove it. Didn't do anything for me. In the end we got him a civic type R.

If you are a Subaru fan better with a turbo all day long...
Old 06 June 2016, 01:23 AM
Dazz01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beastie
2.0R as you say is a bit slow, my son wanted one and I test drove it. Didn't do anything for me. In the end we got him a civic type R.

If you are a Subaru fan better with a turbo all day long...
ok thanks for your opinion.
I will end up getting a WRX in a year or 2 so I have just been wondering weather it is a good idea to start off with a subaru, for me the speed is not a big issue, I like it because its a 'subaru' and it has that sweet boxer engine. Still keen to see what others think!
Old 06 June 2016, 01:31 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Dazz01
ok thanks for your opinion.
I will end up getting a WRX in a year or 2 so I have just been wondering weather it is a good idea to start off with a subaru, for me the speed is not a big issue, I like it because its a 'subaru' and it has that sweet boxer engine. Still keen to see what others think!
Its not about speed, its the combination of a good chassis with the power to exploit it. Without the power its a very dreary drive. The turbo engine makes the car much more than it can be without. Having said that I ran a 2.0 non turbo legacy for 2 1/2 years (as a company car) and was very happy with it. However, it was a luxury barge and was much more comfortable than an impreza. Again performance sluggish and I drove it 10/10ths everywhere, it didn't break and overall was a good car.

Don't let my comments stop you getting the sport, they look the part, but I don't think anyone will say they have enough power, especially when running that 4wd drive train.
Old 06 June 2016, 01:41 AM
Dazz01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beastie
Its not about speed, its the combination of a good chassis with the power to exploit it. Without the power its a very dreary drive. The turbo engine makes the car much more than it can be without. Having said that I ran a 2.0 non turbo legacy for 2 1/2 years (as a company car) and was very happy with it. However, it was a luxury barge and was much more comfortable than an impreza. Again performance sluggish and I drove it 10/10ths everywhere, it didn't break and overall was a good car.

Don't let my comments stop you getting the sport, they look the part, but I don't think anyone will say they have enough power, especially when running that 4wd drive train.
Yes very true, for me its a very nice car (I will probably end up with it) but it definitely is a bit slow which is annoying because I am a car guy and Subaru fan and as you say a Turbo makes it much more fun. I used to drive a 99 Corolla (had it since I got my license and its damn slow and boring) but a crankshaft bearing failed and is pretty much written off so this is an upgrade any way you look at it haha.
Old 06 June 2016, 01:48 AM
hardcoreimpreza
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

A rear silencer won't create the boxer burble, your need an unequal length manifold.
Old 06 June 2016, 02:50 AM
Dazz01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hardcoreimpreza
A rear silencer won't create the boxer burble, your need an unequal length manifold.
yea I knew that but they come with unequal length am I correct? I thought all Subaru 4c boxers game with them.
Maybe im wrong xD
Old 06 June 2016, 03:06 AM
Dazz01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hardcoreimpreza
My bad, the Naturally aspirated ones do have equal length.
Old 06 June 2016, 10:49 AM
hardcoreimpreza
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Correct. I know that after market exhaust manifolds can be bought for 1993-2005 non turbo 125 bhp models, but not sure if they fit the R sport.
Old 06 June 2016, 04:46 PM
T800 GEN
Scooby Regular

I had a hawkeye sport for 3 years. I bought it when I was 19 as I couldn't get insured on a turbo. It was a great car and I made it my own with subtle mods over the years before finally getting a turbo last June. Didn't feel slow to begin with as it was a huge step up from a 1986 mini mayfair After getting used to it I could see myself getting bored with the lack of power but it still looked the part.

Old 06 June 2016, 05:01 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I've had a few non turbo's great as a daily driver, all been bullet proof, only thing ever had go was clutch. Nothing like a turbo but can still sound great and handle well and all been 125bhp so R sport has more power.

Plus most insurance's won't touch you for your first year of an impreza unless you have owned an impreza before. So owning an r sport might help.
Old 06 June 2016, 11:47 PM
Dazz01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T800 GEN
I had a hawkeye sport for 3 years. I bought it when I was 19 as I couldn't get insured on a turbo. It was a great car and I made it my own with subtle mods over the years before finally getting a turbo last June. Didn't feel slow to begin with as it was a huge step up from a 1986 mini mayfair After getting used to it I could see myself getting bored with the lack of power but it still looked the part.

Ohh that looks Soo good! IMO those (2006~?) hawkeyes are the best looking Impreza but im getting the 2008. In the future the 06 STI is my goal
Old 06 June 2016, 11:50 PM
Dazz01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
I've had a few non turbo's great as a daily driver, all been bullet proof, only thing ever had go was clutch. Nothing like a turbo but can still sound great and handle well and all been 125bhp so R sport has more power.

Plus most insurance's won't touch you for your first year of an impreza unless you have owned an impreza before. So owning an r sport might help.
ok Thanks for that, I think it is a good start for me.

Last edited by Dazz01; 07 June 2016 at 06:07 AM.
Old 07 June 2016, 07:14 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all for any vehicle you're looking at then please feel free to drop me a line. I'd be happy to try and help.
Regards,
Dan.
Old 07 June 2016, 08:57 PM
jop57
Scooby Newbie

i tried the 2.0r and ended up with a 1999 sport as it felt more nippy just watch out for rusty back ends. 2.5 legacy are also pretty good
Old 08 June 2016, 11:11 PM
dufus
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mum has a 2008 rx as a daily drive, not a bad car but not so much a Subaru as her classic turbo. They have equal length manifolds and the sti unequal lengths do not fit. So unless you are willing to pay out for a custom made set you won't get the burble at all.
They are much more refined to drive then the older type so maybe that explains why you don't get the same feel.
I personally would go for a classic/bug or blob sport if need be, I have driven all and I would still go for the classic.
Old 09 June 2016, 09:00 AM
AWG
Scooby Regular

Got stats on NZ Dan?!

Welcome mate, the sport model is a great base. tom is right, you do not need a turbo to enjoy a Subaru but it does help! With subtle mods you'll make what ever you get your own.
Old 09 June 2016, 09:13 AM
Dazz01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AWG
Got stats on NZ Dan?!

Welcome mate, the sport model is a great base. tom is right, you do not need a turbo to enjoy a Subaru but it does help! With subtle mods you'll make what ever you get your own.
Yep, I did end up buying one and I picked it up today, I love it . The boxer engine noise is so nice to hear and overall im very impressed with the car
Old 09 June 2016, 01:17 PM
AWG
Scooby Regular

Get some pictures up
Old 09 June 2016, 09:54 PM
Dazz01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AWG
Get some pictures up
oh will do! Im busy for the next 6 hours so ill get them up then
Old 09 June 2016, 10:44 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all for any vehicle you're looking at then please feel free to drop me a line. I'd be happy to try and help.
Regards,
Dan.
Even in New Zealand?
Old 10 June 2016, 05:41 AM
Dazz01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AWG
Get some pictures up
Click image for larger version

Name:	subaru 1.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	20852
^^ is picture from seller

Last edited by Dazz01; 10 June 2016 at 05:42 AM.