Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1 - Still the one to have

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2002, 12:34 AM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
As according gto this months EVO magazine. the P1 is still the ultimate Impreza that monet can buy. It was given the nod over the STI 7 and EVO 7 with quotes like - "The grudge match between it, the STI and the EVO 7 RS, is an obvious one, but the convincing fashion in which it stamps it's authority over both comes as something of a surprise. It's the way the way it copes with the unexpected that sets it apart, the more predictable steering inputs tha tanable you yo cover ground that little bit faster etc etc"

So there it is, still the NO1 - I rest my case..

Steve.
Old 11 June 2002, 12:40 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

but they didnt test it against an STi5 Type RA, so thats just for UK spec cars. LOL
Old 11 June 2002, 12:55 AM
Scooby_Manchester
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P1-The best!

I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11 June 2002, 12:57 AM
chris p1
Scooby Regular

Which is why i'm not selling mine any more it's just to good, been taking it for granted lately but it's still the best car i've ever owned,did test drive a couple of Boxster's last week and what a pile of s**t they are for 30 odd grand.Just going to have to pay that high insurance bill again this year the only downside to a fantastic car.
Chris.
Old 11 June 2002, 07:05 AM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

Scooby- / Chris,

Agreeeeeeeeeee; I only see mine for half the year but that makes me even more appreciative of it.

Cheers
Old 11 June 2002, 07:30 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Question

Had I think the best set up P1 around....certainly on track...and now it's gone must say that It wasn't worth the money !

Now an STi 5...or 6...in any form ie; type R...RA... etc... is the thing to go for ! £12-£16k to buy then £2-£4k on mods and it'll wipe the floor with a P1 !

Obviously I.M.H.O. but bear in mind that Ive run both a P1 and an STi 6
Old 11 June 2002, 08:15 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Cool

John, Mellow,

EVO mag settled the Type 5 vs Uk cars in the 4x4 supertest back in 99. Preferred the RB5 then.

I agree with SteveB on this one. Yes you can always mod a jap car and they cost less. But its all relative. That STi 6 would have depreciated just as much if you bought new in 2000 then sold this year

End of the day most punters and insurance companies favour the UK cars for reasons fair or foul.

PS Guess what I drive

Trending Topics

Old 11 June 2002, 01:19 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

I looked at P1 and they were 31.5K and noone was dealing so I went grey and got more for my money. I dont know how much P1's are going for but I was offered 6K less than I paid for mine (20 months ago) part ex recently. That means I would have to get about 25.5K for a 20 month old P1 as part ex which seems possibly unlikely. I agree though I would have a P1 over an STI7 or E7 though. There is also a lot of crap put about, about grey imports. I was very apprehesive going from a UK turbo to import but to be honest due to the power differences they are two completely different cars all in IMHO .
Old 11 June 2002, 01:55 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

It's folly to go after what a magazine journalist says is best. Everyone has diferent wants and needs and likes diferent dynamics from the cars they drive.

Value for money wise you cant argue against an STi, but if you want an IM waranty then you cant have one.

It's basic economics for me, i cant afford a P1 so it was either a UK turbo or an STi5. I bought an STi5 though i would have been happy with a UK car with eibaks and bilsteins plus a PPP upgrade or similar. Interestingly, the insurance diference between a fully PPP'd UK car with the WR upgrades was only a few pounds compared to a standard STi5 TypeRA V-Limited.

Driving wise, the STi5 TypeRA is very diferent to a P1 or UK car, it suits me being a big RWD biased driver, but it might not suit everyone.