Cmoany car or not...

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2001, 02:49 PM
ragnarock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Please advise me!!!

I have had a 1.8GL impreza for 2 years and since that time have been constantly dreaming of a turbo!!

Now do i opt out of the company car scheme and use the money to get a lone to buy a cheap early WRX (i.e. 6-7.5k) or do i opt to keep the company car!

I wouldnt be doing that many miles in it, and to me mileage is not a problem!!!

Old 16 May 2001, 02:55 PM
Alec
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

Check the insurance first, then go for it.

Alec
Old 16 May 2001, 03:03 PM
Steve Wilson
Scooby Regular

Gem up on the company car tax changes that come in April 2002. There will be some big changes for some car/driver combinations.

Not sure if you mean that you will get a turbo on the company scheme. If you would keep your current car your tax might not change much.

In summary: Owners will be taxed a % of the car's recommended retail price (inc. extras)based on the g of CO2/km emitted by the car. This is a sliding scale from 15-35% which will increase by 2% each year.

Unfortunately Impreza's, especially turbos, don't score too well on this assessment.

The biggest losers are those who need a good sized car for their work but currently do a high mileage. There is no mileage reduction in the new system. If you are currenlty doing very few business miles you stand to gain if you keep your current car. (Provided you can get a figure for g CO2/km. If you can't you will have to pay on 25% of the car's value at purchase).

[This message has been edited by Steve Wilson (edited 16 May 2001).]
Old 16 May 2001, 03:34 PM
rob barron
Scooby Regular

Also have a look at the following site
Old 17 May 2001, 05:49 AM
sasman
Scooby Regular

Put your 5 grand down on a new impreza and it should cost you about 310 a month, you'll have 10k miles to play with and the full three year warranty. The residuals on three year olds are still good so you should get about two thirds of your deposit back, but as Alec said check the insurance try NFU
Old 17 May 2001, 10:16 AM
ragnarock
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for the help;

What i meant was shall I turn down the company car and ask for the cash instead, and with the extra cash get an early WRX? (I am only 21, and with having to save for a house/wedding next year, i cant afford anything above about 7K)

Old 17 May 2001, 10:56 AM
Steve Wilson
Scooby Regular

In the end only you can do the maths as you know how much the company will give in lieu of the car.

Do find out about insurance as this is likely to be high for a 21 year old with an import. (which will almost certainly have been modified in some way).

Maybe the heart says yes but I suspect the head says no.

Trending Topics

Old 17 May 2001, 11:34 AM
ragnarock
Scooby Regular

Steve, cheers for the reply, I have a quote from Privilege at £1400!!!! (they are the only company I have rang - so may be bettered yet)

Obviously the amount they give me in lieu will pay for a loan on the car, so in effect I will only be paying the insurance (which I wouldnt do for the first year as the loan would cover that)and also some contribution towards the insurance (i.e. half of it)!!!

Really i am desperate in trying to get a scooby as I want my cars big brother, and with the car prices being as low as they are, i think that now is my chance, financially i will not be any more worse off, as I am still paying off my car at £150 a month plus insurance at £50 a month!!

Old 17 May 2001, 03:48 PM
Steve Wilson
Scooby Regular

You are doing a good job on persuading yourself!

[This message has been edited by Steve Wilson (edited 17 May 2001).]
Old 17 May 2001, 04:05 PM
ragnarock
Scooby Regular

Talking

I know, im trying desperately to get someone to say its a good idea, and then I will do it!
Fiancee says "we'll need the money for a house" - My argument, if i had a company car i wouldnt be getting the money!!!!

All i need is for someone to say its a good idea, please!!!!!!

In the meantime I will think about what a fantastic idea it really is - MMMMmmmmmmmm!