Sponsored by:

JDMs

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2016, 10:50 AM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDMs

One thing I've always wondered about is how so many enthusiasts buy imports and don't seem to mind that they come with very little documentation.

Obviously service history is one of the most important things when buying an Impreza, but I think it's safe to say very few of us are fluent in Japanese, so how do buyers know a car has been serviced accordingly? Some traders say they inspect the cam belt and, if it looks like it needs changing, they'll have it replaced prior to sale, but obviously this isn't a scientific approach and one can't discern the age of a cam belt from sight.

Provenance and originality are even more paramount for rarer cars like Spec Cs, S20Xs, etc., so why do so many people in the UK buy these cars even though they can't accurately verify their pasts? Do they simply place faith in the importer? Or are they prepared to take the risk for an exclusive JDM car?
Old 29 May 2016, 10:58 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

On my spec C hatch I`ve got dealer fsh, every bill,3 keys and certified mileage, one owner. I think it`s pretty normal that as number of owners, mileage and age goes up on an import, docs get lost; it only takes one person in the chain to be slack and it`s all lost.
The situation is mirrored with uk cars, as there are always folks who buy above their means, so cut corners
Old 29 May 2016, 11:01 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

However, I could do with reading Japanese to tell if cambelt has been changed, but when you have an immaculate fsh car, chances are it`s been done....fingers crossed
Old 29 May 2016, 12:16 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Mine came with nothing plus ur relying on pictures a lot of money to fork out on a car you never seen or driven . Risk you take I suppose
Old 29 May 2016, 12:17 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
However, I could do with reading Japanese to tell if cambelt has been changed, but when you have an immaculate fsh car, chances are it`s been done....fingers crossed

I did belt plugs and all the fluids as soon as I got the car that way you know 100 percent it's done
Old 29 May 2016, 12:28 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The auction grade is a good indication of the condition added to the fact Japan don't salt the roads so the underside is generally rust free too.
Old 29 May 2016, 12:38 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

The underneath of mine was factory condition
Think north Japan is a different story Plenty rusty rot boxes coming in from there they get harsh winters apparantly

Trending Topics

Old 29 May 2016, 12:57 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Japanese equivalent of the 'MOT' is massive, people 'have' to take care of their cars in Japan to keep them past the first five years, hence why we see many being imported after this date. The roads are also in far better condition as is the weather.

People buy JDM's because they are inherently better than UK equivalents, I know by far I would choose an undocumented JDM high grade import over a well documented UK equivalent that has faced the poor quality UK roads and probably been owned by some chavtastic hillbilly will dreams of being Colin Mcrae or Vin Diesel.

I counter the question with 'Why do people buy UK cars?'
Old 29 May 2016, 01:04 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Imported my last 3 cars. There is an element of risk but no more than buying in the UK as it's easy to fudge a Service history. The positives far outweigh the negatives. The condition alone of a 20 year old car is staggering !
Old 29 May 2016, 01:51 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although it doesn't fully compensate for missed previous services, I guess a full service and belt change upon collection gives some peace of mind. That's going to cost the best part of a grand, though, and if the dealer isn't prepared to discount that much, I guess it's just a cost that needs to be added on to the purchase price.

Does the auction grade represent just cosmetic factors, eg. bodywork, interior, underside, or does it factor in mechanicals, electrical functions, etc?
Old 29 May 2016, 01:55 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's never been anywhere near sioc,youscoob or Tony hough which is worth every penny.
Old 29 May 2016, 03:01 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Creepy
Although it doesn't fully compensate for missed previous services, I guess a full service and belt change upon collection gives some peace of mind. That's going to cost the best part of a grand, though, and if the dealer isn't prepared to discount that much, I guess it's just a cost that needs to be added on to the purchase price.

Does the auction grade represent just cosmetic factors, eg. bodywork, interior, underside, or does it factor in mechanicals, electrical functions, etc?
Wont include electrical functions but it would have to start and run to be auctioned. Full service isn't that much and would certainly be discounted by a good importer.