ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

New member time for a scooby!

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2016, 10:56 AM
Smirnoff1977
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New member time for a scooby!

Finally persuaded the Mrs to get a family car so I can now buy the car I've always wanted

I have been looking round and seen a couple of gb270 hawkeye's one wagon and a saloon. Does the wagon have the bigger boot space still need to fit a pushchair in! Is the gb270 worth the extra price or pay a little more for an STI.

Also seen a few hatchbacks are they as bad as made out with regards to handling and is the piston ring issue a big one?

Sorry for the questions but just want to make sure I'm making the right choice as I've wanted a scooby for the last 15 years. Been a member of several car forums before and this looks a great one so far

Last edited by Smirnoff1977; 28 May 2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 28 May 2016, 12:05 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Smirnoff1977
Finally persuaded the Mrs to get a family car so I can now buy the car I've always wanted

I have been looking round and seen a couple of gb270 hawkeye's one wagon and a saloon. Does the wagon have the bigger boot space still need to fit a pushchair in! Is the gb270 worth the extra price or pay a little more for an STI.

Also seen a few hatchbacks are they as bad as made out with regards to handling and is the piston ring issue a big one?

Sorry for the questions but just want to make sure I'm making the right choice as I've wanted a scooby for the last 15 years. Been a member of several car forums before and this looks a great one so far
I have had a bug eye wagon (ie 2002 estate), and also a 2003 saloon. Although they don't look the same as a gb270, the boot space will be similar.

The estate has a decent amount of space in the boot, certainly enough for a push chair at least. Also the entry to the boot is lower than on the saloon, which is good for getting stuff in. Personally if I still had to ferry baby gear around, I would definitely go estate.

Driving-wise the saloon and estate felt very similar, but the saloons get more flared wheel arches, which makes them look a bit more aggressive (not sure if this is true for the later cars).

Regarding the engine and piston issues, I would personally steer clear of any 2.5 engined imprezas unless they had been forged already. I think this includes the gb270 (might be wrong).

Having said that, I would love a 2007 on hatch back, I think they look fantastic!
Old 28 May 2016, 02:00 PM
Smirnoff1977
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info very useful, the hatch does look good but the piston rings is putting me off. There is a 2010 wrx with 29000 on clock for sale by me.