Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Mamba gt3071r twinscroll results.

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2016, 06:37 PM
ian12
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mamba gt3071r twinscroll results.

Had to replace the turbo on my 2003 jdm sti, looked at the LM & SC opinions but there quite pricey.
The mamba delivered to the door after tax was £820. I kind of knew it wasn't going to set the world on fire but needed a replacement.
I know there's a bit of lag but you can drive round that. Normal supporting mods fitted.

Last edited by ian12; 24 July 2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 21 May 2016, 06:59 PM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's not a bad result. Stock position? What boost n fuel etc was used?
Old 21 May 2016, 07:00 PM
CharlesTuna
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats how does she drive ??
Old 21 May 2016, 07:04 PM
ian12
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by veerinder9
That's not a bad result. Stock position? What boost n fuel etc was used?
Stock position, Vpower and I think 1.5 bar but will check.
Old 21 May 2016, 07:06 PM
ian12
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlesTuna
Congrats how does she drive ??
Bit more lag than a vf37 but nothing a gear change won't sort out.
Old 21 May 2016, 07:31 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ian12
Had to replace the turbo on my 2003 jdm sti, looked at the LM & SC opinions but there quite pricey.
The mamba delivered to the door after tax was £820. I kind of knew it wasn't going to set the world on fire but needed a replacement.
I know there's a bit of lag but you can drive round that. Normal supporting mods fitted.

Very nice.

Glad to see gd results from something different.
Old 21 May 2016, 07:31 PM
rogos
Scooby Regular

That's great results and with that you have just helped me decide on a mamba for mine. I have been trying to find good solid results for the use of these turbo's on our car's with no luck, the skyline lad's use them too and they seem to do well but i still wasn't sure until this post. My scoob is a blob sti widetrack and pretty much standard apart from rcm 340lph pump and iridium8 plugs, it makes 322/307 on srr but as you do i have got used to the power already so was thinking of bumping the power to around the 400 mark without the need to change intercooler location etc to keep a stock look. My intentions are to order in a mambatek 18g version of the vf35 core along with grimmspeed crosspipe and uppipe then port the headers in the hope that it all can get me close to my current target when mapped in, i am still not a 100% on these newage sti's from a tuning perspective so if i am barking at the wrong tree then feel free to change my mind.
Old 21 May 2016, 07:36 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Considering you're making at least 50bhp more than a vf37 would make, a little lag is to be expected in comparison. A gt3071 sized turbo is normally rated around 450bhp so by all accounts thats an excellent result and torque for 1.5bar is pretty decent too, little more boost or a meth map and you would probably see 450/400
Old 21 May 2016, 07:49 PM
ian12
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Considering you're making at least 50bhp more than a vf37 would make, a little lag is to be expected in comparison. A gt3071 sized turbo is normally rated around 450bhp so by all accounts thats an excellent result and torque for 1.5bar is pretty decent too, little more boost or a meth map and you would probably see 450/400
I thought about meth then opted not to as I can't be bothered with all the mixing.
Old 21 May 2016, 08:20 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about meth then opted not to as I can't be bothered with all the mixing.
With all the mixing? Add amount to tank.

Fill tank

Switch map

Drive....
Old 21 May 2016, 08:34 PM
ian12
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
With all the mixing? Add amount to tank.

Fill tank

Switch map

Drive....
Fill tank

Drive

That will do for me and I'm not chasing numbers. If I get bored its always an option though.
Old 21 May 2016, 08:56 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Fill tank

Drive

That will do for me and I'm not chasing numbers. If I get bored its always an option though.
It's not any more difficult than what uoj posted and makes the car so much better to drive
Old 21 May 2016, 08:59 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Fill tank

Drive

Got to agree with you.
Hassle of storing it.
Handling it.

Eats away at tank and lines if not careful.

If used properly its a win win situation but need to stay ontop of a few things that i personally cba with.

Until i can afford a syvecs, fuelflex, and proper lines i wouldnt bother with the hassle.
Old 21 May 2016, 09:11 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy
Got to agree with you.
Hassle of storing it.
Handling it.

Eats away at tank and lines if not careful.

If used properly its a win win situation but need to stay ontop of a few things that i personally cba with.

Until i can afford a syvecs, fuelflex, and proper lines i wouldnt bother with the hassle.
Don't know what you have been reading but I think you've got it wrong.

Handling it is the same as anything else. Don't drink it and it's fine.same as storage, exactly the same as you store fuel.

It's no hassle at all. And most of that is untrue. Fuel tank and lines are mainly metal so no issues there. Mixture is pour one jerry can in and fI'll up with fuel. For an extra 50hp?

Rubberised lines will get eaten away if left standing with it in. But once you have driven one with meth in you won't stop until it's gone.

It drives better, quicker spool, more torque, more power, better response etc. There are more positives than negatives.

It's a no brainer for people that understand it.....
Old 21 May 2016, 09:17 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Don't know what you have been reading but I think you've got it wrong.

Handling it is the same as anything else. Don't drink it and it's fine.same as storage, exactly the same as you store fuel.

It's no hassle at all. And most of that is untrue. Fuel tank and lines are mainly metal so no issues there. Mixture is pour one jerry can in and fI'll up with fuel. For an extra 50hp?

Rubberised lines will get eaten away if left standing with it in. But once you have driven one with meth in you won't stop until it's gone.

It drives better, quicker spool, more torque, more power, better response etc. There are more positives than negatives.

It's a no brainer for people that understand it.....
Plenty of seals are rubber and if it has flowed through it there will be residue. Are u saying the stock fuel system will be fine yea ??.

Understand perfectly well how it works thats why i wouldnt use it untill i had the proper set up for it. Flexfuel sensor Pump lines etc.

Can always get a mix wrong and flexfuel would prevent that.

Sure it can be done cheaply but id rather not.
Old 21 May 2016, 09:26 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Plenty of seals are rubber and if it has flowed through it there will be residue. Are u saying the stock fuel system will be fine yea ??.

Understand perfectly well how it works thats why i wouldnt use it untill i had the proper set up for it. Flexfuel sensor Pump lines etc.

Can always get a mix wrong and flexfuel would prevent that.

Sure it can be done cheaply but id rather not.
Used it for 50k miles on a standard fuel system. No issues. No leaks. No problems.

Flex fuel sensor is nice but useless for most people. Again I don't have one and I'm not considering using one. For the cost of a syvecs I don't need one. And anyone with a quarter of a brain should be able to manage to get the mixture right.

It's not about doing it cheaply. It's about understanding what it does and how it works. Which if you Kew that you wouldn't mention the fuel tank or standard lines as you know it doesn't corrode metal....
Old 21 May 2016, 09:30 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=JGlanzaV;11836490]Used it for 50k miles on a standard fuel system. No issues. No leaks. No problems.

Flex fuel sensor is nice but useless for most people. Again I don't have one and I'm not considering using one. For the cost of a syvecs I don't need one. And anyone with a quarter of a brain should be able to manage to get the mixture right.

It's not about doing it cheaply. It's about understanding what it does and how it works. Which if you Kew that you wouldn't mention the fuel tank or standard lines as you know it doesn't corrode metal....[/QUOTE

So theres no rubber parts in the stock fuel system ?
Thats great nothing has gone wrong for ya.

Just couldnt be arsed with the hassle like most folk.
Old 21 May 2016, 09:37 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=SmurfyBhoy;11836491]
Used it for 50k miles on a standard fuel system. No issues. No leaks. No problems.

It's not about doing it cheaply. It's about understanding what it does and how it works. Which if you Kew that you wouldn't mention the fuel tank or standard lines as you know it doesn't corrode metal....[/QUOTE

So theres no rubber parts in the stock fuel system ?
Thats great nothing has gone wrong for ya.

Just couldnt be arsed with the hassle like most folk.
Of course there is rubber parts. But you're missing the point. There is no problem with it. It will be flushed through with regular fuel when you aren't using it anyway so any residue is removed. Not that methanol leaves a residue.

It's not hassle, but you seem to have made your mind up and are ignorant to the advice of people who use it regularly. Yet have no experience of it yourself.....

It is no different to using normal fuel. It takes no more effort to use and unless you are a complete idiot no need for a flex sensor.

However your mapper will make a nice bob off you if you believe the need for all that lol
Old 21 May 2016, 10:16 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=JGlanzaV;11836496]

Of course there is rubber parts. But you're missing the point. There is no problem with it. It will be flushed through with regular fuel when you aren't using it anyway so any residue is removed. Not that methanol leaves a residue.

It's not hassle, but you seem to have made your mind up and are ignorant to the advice of people who use it regularly. Yet have no experience of it yourself.....

It is no different to using normal fuel. It takes no more effort to use and unless you are a complete idiot no need for a flex sensor.

However your mapper will make a nice bob off you if you believe the need for all that lol
doesnt come out a pump at the station so clearly takes more effort.

Mapper makes money for mapping not fitting parts haha

I havnt made up my mind.
Infact really consider it.

Just would rather do it properly like i says. And yea ther are other cheaper ways to do it. But if u want the best out of what u have in the tank at anytime safely without any worries.

Although there are many ways to skin a cat as they say. And if ur happy with ur set up then great. It proves it can work
Old 21 May 2016, 10:19 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

I have a flexfuel sensor fitted to mine but its more from a safety aspect, as it will adjust the map based on the ethanol content. Thats not just for the meth map but also for pump fuel should you get a poor batch from a fill up.

Aside from that never had a perished hose or issues with fuel pumps or regs, the mixing and handling are pretty simple but I suppose if you're being pedantic yes its not as simple as rolling you to a shell station and putting a nozzle in the tank.
Old 21 May 2016, 10:24 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

I have a flexfuel sensor fitted to mine but its more from a safety aspect, as it will adjust the map based on the ethanol content. Thats not just for the meth map but also for pump fuel should you get a poor batch from a fill up.

Aside from that never had a perished hose or issues with fuel pumps or regs, the mixing and handling are pretty simple but I suppose if you're being pedantic yes its not as simple as rolling you to a shell station and putting a nozzle in the tank.
Safety first. As they say.

Would u be in any danger if the mix was wrong as in too much meth.

Or would it just be the same jerry can u use each time per full tank ??

Say u added a little too much meth ?
Are u safe ?
Old 21 May 2016, 10:32 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Safety first. As they say.

Would u be in any danger if the mix was wrong as in too much meth.

Or would it just be the same jerry can u use each time per full tank ??

Say u added a little too much meth ?
Are u safe ?
Same jerry can each time, I have a pouring jug marked to 5 litres and use that to decant the correct amount into the jerry can.

If I'm going for a quick blast 5 litres in the jerry can and 20 litres of fuel, long journey 10 litres of meth (2 jerry cans) and 40 litres of fuel

It is never mapped that close that it wont allow for a little leeway either way with the mixture, so you will be perfectly safe
Old 21 May 2016, 10:44 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

when i used to ren meth, I had a clear plastic fuel can (5L) that I measured and marked on the side every 1L.

the way I done it was, 1L meth, 9L v-power.

It worked fine like that all the time that I used it.
Old 21 May 2016, 11:33 PM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

Just to get this back on track, the turbo isn't a gt3071, im sure it's a gtx3071. There's a difference

From what ive been told n read the gtx turbos need more boost atleast 30psi to really shine
Old 22 May 2016, 12:36 AM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Could someone explain what twinscroll is/does please? Ive read quite a few posts on my turbo info search and seen people getting better results with it. Can twinscroll be added to a uk sti blob? sorry for the noob questions, I'm just impressed with what it can do. Thanks
Old 22 May 2016, 07:10 AM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

Same jerry can each time, I have a pouring jug marked to 5 litres and use that to decant the correct amount into the jerry can.

If I'm going for a quick blast 5 litres in the jerry can and 20 litres of fuel, long journey 10 litres of meth (2 jerry cans) and 40 litres of fuel

It is never mapped that close that it wont allow for a little leeway either way with the mixture, so you will be perfectly safe
Is that a 20% mix ?????? I was gonna use a 10% mix as don.t use the car that much but can.t warrent like most a bigger turbo ..already running a 16g 330bhp just want to see a little over 350bhp and thats it
Old 22 May 2016, 07:25 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Iv been tempted by a splash of meth to get me a tab more but like smurfy I'd want to go for the fuel flex setup as it would make daily driving far easier for one the mrs isn't going to want to mix fuel or bother switching bottoms over when she puts fuel in , two I wouldn't want to carry a can of fuel in the boot of my hatchback for safety reasons ,,, three I wouldn't want to have to drain the tank whenever I swapped back to v-power so the easier option would be the fuel flex ,, but I'm happy with what it made without it so why push my luck lol

Prob going to use meth with my other build when it's done but that one is a track car so mixing the fuel shouldn't be a bother when I'm in the pits lol
Old 22 May 2016, 07:55 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
Iv been tempted by a splash of meth to get me a tab more but like smurfy I'd want to go for the fuel flex setup as it would make daily driving far easier for one the mrs isn't going to want to mix fuel or bother switching bottoms over when she puts fuel in , two I wouldn't want to carry a can of fuel in the boot of my hatchback for safety reasons ,,, three I wouldn't want to have to drain the tank whenever I swapped back to v-power so the easier option would be the fuel flex ,, but I'm happy with what it made without it so why push my luck lol

Prob going to use meth with my other build when it's done but that one is a track car so mixing the fuel shouldn't be a bother when I'm in the pits lol
Again, you have completely misunderstood the use of meth within the context of a road car.

All the downsides you have listed are not an issue at all.

You don't need to drain the tank whenever switching back and forth, when you get low you just switch back to the normal fuel map and fill up with normal fuel. No need for a flex fuel sensor or anything else like that.

You only carry a can round when you are going to use it not all the time. And the missus has no need to be pressing buttons or mixing fuel.

You can run meth on a normal map but not the other way round (no meth on a meth map).

You really do have to be some sort of prize ******** to be able to mess it up lol
Old 22 May 2016, 08:49 AM
ian12
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by veerinder9
Just to get this back on track, the turbo isn't a gt3071, im sure it's a gtx3071. There's a difference

From what ive been told n read the gtx turbos need more boost atleast 30psi to really shine
Here's the spec.
MAMBA GTX Billet Ball Bearing Turbocharger SUBARU WRX STI GDB SPEC-C GT3071R with A/R .71 Twin Entry Turbine Housing

Spec

Compressor Wheel : 53.1 mm / 71 mm/Trim 56 (11+0 GTX Billet Wheel w/ Extend Tip)

Turbine Wheel: 52 mm / 56.5 mm / Trim 84

Compressor Housing Inlet OD: 2.3” / 58mm

Compressor Housing Outlet OD: 2” / 51.3 mm

Compressor Housing A/R: .57

Turbine Housing A/R : .71

Turbine Flange: STD SUBARU GDB SPEC-C Twin Entry (Single Scroll / High Flow Type)
Old 22 May 2016, 09:33 AM
ian12
Scooby Regular

I'll more than likely add a meth mix once I get used to it. By reading the above it does seam easy to use.

Quick Reply: Mamba gt3071r twinscroll results.