Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decat / MOT. What's the score?

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2002, 06:35 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies in advance for dumb a$$ stylee questions.

For all you mod-ers out there, am I right in thinking you have to put your standard exhaust system back on for an MOT, and then you swap back to the noisy option afterwards?

Should be getting my first Scoob in the next few weeks. Standard UK MY98. Deal is done but the guy is getting the tracker fitted and sorting out a couple of bits of paint etc., then its all mine!

I'll be able to reply to the post on "how many people own a Scoob that posts here"!.

Sorry, getting off track (excited). One of the first things I will want to do is get more of a rumble from it. Reckon from reading on here a Scooby Sport back box is the place to start? Does this partly decat the the car or only de-baffle it? What is the MOT implication?

TIA

Matt - not a mechanic. soft keyb fingers
Old 10 June 2002, 06:39 PM
Haggistrap
Scooby Regular

Wink

from what I have read you can decat the centre section and still pass the MOT....have not done this myself though as I am a bit dubious about it!!!

Old 10 June 2002, 06:45 PM
Attu
Scooby Regular

Your car will have 2 cats on it, one in the down pipe from the turbo and one in the center section.
Replacing the back box won't effect the emitions, you should be able to remove one of the cats and still pass the emitions test.
Some people remove both as removing the cat on the down pipe gives the most HP and then refit the center cat for mot time.

Andy
Old 10 June 2002, 06:47 PM
Marc R
Scooby Regular

Back box is fine. Depending on car (not too sure on exact model years) but middle section may or may not have cat, possible that it will pass MOT without middle section. The downpipe also has a cat and if you change this for a performance part the car will definitely fail emissions on mot. I'm sure someone on here will be able to confirm the information on the middle section. Enjoy the car mate, had mine for 4 months and it's great.

Marc
Old 10 June 2002, 06:55 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

I've got a 3inch pipe straight through from the turbo. Not a cat in sight. Loud as thounderpants ****. It passed an MOT fine.

BUT not all MOT places are the same are they? If you take it round somewhere in the shade, then it'll get through as long as it stops and all the lights work. When the place I took it to did the "emissions test" the sensor fell out of the pipe. The chap was having too much fun reving the engine, making the windows of the testbay area rattle like phuq
Old 10 June 2002, 10:27 PM
DAR.WIL
Scooby Regular

Smile

the cat in the down pipe is a "pre cat".the car will fly the mot with this removed.this is also the most restrictive
go for a full de-cat and the centre section can be refitted in a matter of minuets for the mot.....
Old 10 June 2002, 11:02 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Question

So, has anyone passed MOT 'legally' with just the centre cat fitted ??