STiSTiSTi
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New to Subaru, looking to import a STi! Advice welcome

Hey guys, I've narrowed it down to the following three STIs :
  • 1999 GC8 STi
  • 2000 GC8 STi
  • 2001 bugeye STi

The '99 and '00 are basically the exact same cars mechanically right? If that's the case I will probably go with a '99 for a lower price haha.

I really like how the GC8s look, the classics with the angular lines and hawkeyes look meaner and more aggressive than the new age bugeye imo.

However my decision will be based entirely on RELIABILITY...

Which of those 3 STIs would you say is the most reliable? Low maintenance costs, parts availability, etc. Thanks and look forward to joining the Subaru family!
Old 02 May 2016, 07:15 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go for bug sti.
It has the stronger 6 speed box and brembo brakes and the engines are pretty bullet proof up to 450 bhp
Old 02 May 2016, 08:04 AM
bigh221
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STiSTiSTi
Hey guys, I've narrowed it down to the following three STIs :
  • 1999 GC8 STi
  • 2000 GC8 STi
  • 2001 bugeye STi

The '99 and '00 are basically the exact same cars mechanically right? If that's the case I will probably go with a '99 for a lower price haha.

I really like how the GC8s look, the classics with the angular lines and hawkeyes look meaner and more aggressive than the new age bugeye imo.

However my decision will be based entirely on RELIABILITY...

Which of those 3 STIs would you say is the most reliable? Low maintenance costs, parts availability, etc. Thanks and look forward to joining the Subaru family!
Welcome, hope you find the right car. Only advice I would give is take somebody with you to view who knows subarus inside out, I'm sure some members would be more than happy to assist. Subarus if you get a good one aren't really apart from more regular oil changes any more expensive to maintain than any other regular drive, it's the MOD's that hit your wallet lol Good luck with your search

Last edited by bigh221; 02 May 2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02 May 2016, 10:53 AM
sy.
Scooby Regular

Are you looking to buy an import or import one yourself? The jdm bugeye would be my choice, I'm led to believe the yen is quite strong at the moment

Last edited by sy.; 02 May 2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03 May 2016, 06:01 AM
STiSTiSTi
Scooby Newbie

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

I don't plan on tuning my STi, going to keep the internals/engine stock... that's what I'm trying to tell myself haha.

Good advice about finding someone who knows Subarus. However I'm relying on a local JDM importer so they will have to have their people do the inspection overseas.

Right now I love how the GC8 looks but the bugeye is obviously more advanced mechanically speaking. Still a tough decision for me haha. For someone who is going to keep it mostly stock and not really race it, I might just go with the less expensive GC8.

Oh is there any major differences between the '00 and '01 v7? I read there is some minor cosmetic and performance tweaks but anything major I should know about? thanks

Last edited by STiSTiSTi; 03 May 2016 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03 May 2016, 08:57 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

With the strong yen, prices will have risen 10 to 20 % since November, if you are buying from Japan; try and look for one that is already here.