Sponsored by:

How to: Debadge your front grille - blobeye

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2016, 04:38 PM
MATT93
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to: Debadge your front grille - blobeye

I attempted this today and thought I would post a how to.

What I used for this:

Hacksaw blade
Stanley knife blade

Plastic Primer
Satin Black Spray Paint : 500ML
Filler
Wet & Dry Sand Paper - 240 / 500 / 800 grit

There is a how to on here but it doesn't contain many pictures so thought this may help aid someone, somewhere

First of all remove the grill (If you don't know how to remove the grill maybe best to stop here and go no further ).

Once the grille is removed so ahead and remove the mesh bit attached to the grille.

Grille now out:

I used the blade of a hack saw to cut the badge out, though you could use a Dremel or anything else along those lines.

Badge cut out:

I took the time to scuff up the grille with some wet and dry just to make sure the primer / paint can stick to the surface. I used 800 grit to do the scuffing.

I done a slightly messy job at cutting out the grille with the hacksaw blade so I found if i used a Stanley blade I could skim down all the left over bits off.

There were two holes in the bottom of my grille once I had cut the badge out so I used some filler to patch these bits up (Halfords do it for about £3).

I sanded the filler with 240grit wet & dry, sanded down as best as I could get it.
Got bored after about 30 mins of sanding

Don't forget to wash down the surfaces afterwards to make sure theres no contaminants on the grille when painting.

Next stop was to apply a few coats of plastic primer:

It only took 2 coats of plastic primer to get a full coverage. Once primed I left the grille for about 40/60mins before I actually began to paint.

I chose Satin Black to paint the grille (Picked up from the local motorfactors for £4)

After 1 coat:
(Sorry for the crapy photo)

No more stage by stage photos after that just straight onto the finished product. I did do about 6/7 light coats to make sure everywhere was completely covered.

The finished product:

Hope this helps someone.

Matt.