Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i be dissapointed with this result on R/R.

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2002, 05:06 PM
Rottie1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got back from powerstation after having the following fitted.

1 fuel cut defencer
2 dastek unichip
3 dawes

car is a my99 uk with 24k miles and full decat. Only made 241bhp!!
240lbft at 3000rpm which is pretty well held untill 6000rpm.

I am dissapointed with that.I think Rich said it was running almost standard boost at that(i think) and was just a re-map.

Any comments.
Cheers Rottie
Old 10 June 2002, 05:15 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't be too disappointed - the only use of a rolling road is relative differences between the same car on the same day, and less accurately to compare different cars on the same day, less accurately still to give you a power figure. However, look on the dyno site and see some standard cars that are 40 BHP down and it sounds OK?
Old 10 June 2002, 05:39 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Red face

I got my Terzo rr'd at Power Engineering in April & last Sat. 8th June.

1st time SSport Bbox & de-cat centre 247BHP Very Happy

2nd time SSport Bbox & Full de-cat 247 BHP Very Confused

Oh and both with Optimax & ITG Filter

Lack of increase prob mainly down to change in air temp. but lookingb at the work you've had on your car I'd be a bit unhappy.

Ian
Old 10 June 2002, 05:42 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

How does it drive ? That is the main thing.

If you are still running standard boost you are not going to a huge increase in power. However, a remap (using the Unichip) and a few psi increase in boost will have a more noticable effect.

Did you discuss this with Rich ?

Cheers

Ian
Old 10 June 2002, 05:57 PM
Rottie1
Scooby Regular

IWatkins,
i sort of discussed this with rich, he steered me away from the tek 2 i was considering, claiming not been around long enough to be certain of the reliability issue and suggested unichip.

I asked what would control the boost and was told that the chip will not alter boost settings as is just a remap. to be fair he also said it would only give an extra 20bhp.

Exhaust cost me 800 and todays work 600 and i get 25bhp for close to 1500 quid !!!

car does feel different a bit punchier. Its just that looking at the dyno site my result is average for pstation and very low for pengineering.

ah well it is only money

Rottie
Old 10 June 2002, 06:45 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It might be worth checking with him what you can run the Dawes at then? Results don't sound bad at all at PS for STANDARD BOOST. If he has mapped it he will be able to tell you what you can safely run?

I am still hanging onto a cheque from a customer who was a bit unsure of the results, later said it was great and is coming back to check all is well. I would rather give someone back their money if they are not happy. I presume Powerstation would be the same given their excellent reputation. I am sure they would appreciate you discussing with them frankly what you think. It is not uncommon with remaps to return to the tuner after an interval for a few tweaks after you have got used to it if there are issues.

[Edited by john banks - 6/10/2002 6:56:26 PM]
Old 10 June 2002, 09:01 PM
Rottie1
Scooby Regular

John,

he also said that (excuse my ignorance) re-jet with larger jets or something but decided not to for some reason.

I will call tmorow and see what boost he used to achieve this bhp.

I do not want to take anything away from ps as i felt they were honest from the start but i feel as if i am missing out on something as the bhp seems lowish for cash outlay. Coming from a cossie does not help this.

I suppose if todays result was with standard or near std boost then is ok. But listers quoted 30bhp with just the exhaust!!!!!!!

Somewhere i have been done.

Rottie

Trending Topics

Old 10 June 2002, 09:21 PM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

IMHO the `re-map` benefits work out at about 60%/40%. 60% of benefit comes from running more boost, the rest from optimizing the new higher load condition.

I bet its more `driveable` now? And 20hp, say, JUST from remapped ignition and fuel isn`t too bad.......

My bigger TMIC was rubbish on the PS rolls, thermocoupled at 60Deg+ at end of session.....no higher than 35-45deg on road, and that right at the top-end.......
Old 10 June 2002, 09:53 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Take your car to PE and you'll get 260+bhp straight away. Would you be happier with this result?

Figures are nice but feel is better.

BTW my std MY00 produced a record low 201bhp at PS, but I still kept up with Stef all the way there. I must just be a better driver I guess.

F
Old 10 June 2002, 09:58 PM
skiddusmarkus
Scooby Regular

You need more boooooooooooost!Most places when mapping a unichip will suggest a boost controller but you can do it with a bleed valve.The cheapest power will come from increasing your boost a few psi-expect something like 10bhp per psi(don't go mad though).I'm surprised PS didn't advise you of this.
Old 10 June 2002, 10:34 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Rottie YHM
Old 10 June 2002, 11:59 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Would one bother fitting an FCD, to run standard boost ?

Did you get a before, and after power graph, so that you could compare. This would show you where the gains are.

Mark.
Old 11 June 2002, 05:45 PM
Rottie1
Scooby Regular

Fair play to Rich at powerstation he saw my post yesterday and rang me this morning to bring it back in to have another look if i am not happy. nice touch.

However this was not a moan at ps post, but a comment on how people will sell you things and quote bhp figures.

Car did drive quicker than yesterday today however did have a big misfire for a second!

Just thought to let you know.

ps Car was peaking 1.1bar to achieve 241bhp.

Cheers

Rottie