Sponsored by:

HJ03 FBA | Do not buy | Subaru Impreza STi

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2016, 09:39 PM
SubieJack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HJ03 FBA | Do not buy | Subaru Impreza STi

Posted this on uk.subaruownersclub.com but feel it needs to go onto this site now I know it's a lot more popular and this needs more attention as these trade sellers need to wind their neck in.

------

Hi guys,

Still in the hunt for an STi and I thought I had found a good one today. However, that was not the case. I'll let the ad speak for itself initially.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-03-Su...cAAOSwyjBW5rEK

So, with FSH, and checking online it having MOT until end of OCT I was reasonably pleased. Now on paper it looked okay from the ad...

However, got down there and met the bloke, who seemed okay at first but that quickly turned.

First and foremost, he told me (BEFORE I got down there) that the car had just had £1000 worth of Bridgestone Potenzas put on the car, as I mentioned over the phone the previous MOT stated 'tyres cracking' as an advisory, so if he's changed the tyres, great, if not, no dramas I will just put my Mike Brewer hat on.

Turned up to mateys place. Looked nice and shiny, got my attention, loved it as soon as I saw it. Checked the history/receipts and saw that the car has some history, but I couldn't see any tyre receipts.
Went to look at the car in more detail and straight away I noticed cracking on the outer edge of all FOUR tyres. Hmm, I said, I thought you replaced these tyres? They look cracked to me.
He said, "Yes, they were done shortly after the MOT, they come like that".
Me - But what about the date stamp on the tyres, they're 6 years old?
He says - "I'm guessing they've been sat in the warehouse for a little while"

Right, so he's told me he's replaced the tyres, but clearly hasn't as they're still cracked, and have a yearly stamp of 2010!!!!! Straight away he's lied to my face.

Moving on - the front discs have a big lip and will need doing later this year. Nevermind, again, it can be negotiated in price. Although he said they were in 'perfect' condition.

Got on to the clutch. As far as I'm aware the clutch tends to go on these between 70-85k. I asked, any receipts on the clutch at all? Nope, he said, clutch is in good condition. Right, I thought, as I headed to test drive the car.

Got in the car - Oh my god the bite point was so high it was ridiculous. The amount of times I couldn't find it was embarrassing! Can anyone comment on what a decent clutch feels like bitepoint wise? Are they at the top? The clutch didn't slip mind.. But it was definitely VERY high..Too high.

Other than that I loved it. Sounded great, boosted nicely and cornered well (although did a maximum of 35 round corners). Maybe someone's worried about their tyres.

Right, got onto prices. I sat down, said look.. I've got money with me today I can take it today, job done, but how closely can you get to 7k. Now, I know that's taking the ****. But he is as well, so why not, see what he says. He says.. "you're going to offer me 7 grand... I'm not taking a penny less than 8500".. I said so let me get this straight.. The front discs need replacing, the clutch needs doing soon, and the tyres, being 6 years old, will definitely need doing.. That's over a grands worth of stuff to sort out.. I'll give you 7750 absolute least. Still no. Proceeds to tell me the clutch doesn't need doing and the tyres have been replaced.

I sat there and thought whilst he waffled on and thought, ok, 8 grand final offer. STILL no.. I then proceeded to shake his hand and thank him for his wonderful time. Didn't bother giving my eye contact, or any form of courtesy, as he was presumably mad he didn't make an easy sell!

This guy was so "impersonal" with me it made me feel like he just wanted me gone and didn't care about me at all. Now, usually, if they're too personal it's annoying, however he didn't want to speak to me at all! Now I get it, I'm young and I'm trying to negotiate with someone with years of experience of deals, and he's clearly judged me for a fool and noticed I've pointed out the bad bits, but won't admit it. But I wasn't prepared to spend (lets say I bought it for 8500) around 10k in total for a car with 80k miles, when I can buy a PPP STi widetrack for 9500 with 60k miles! (which I did do with 85k for less than he's advertising hehe). The car needed £1500+ worth of work done and even then it wasn't worth 10k.

Overall, he was an absolute joke who will not sell a car treating his customers' like that. If he does, they're morons.

Just wanted to make it public in case anyone wants to view it. Basically, don't. Unless he accepts 7k.

IT has not had the tyres done. They are 5 years old.
The clutch IS going and is pretty much gone.
The front discs WILL needs replacing.

Thanks for reading and I hope no one gives this guy a penny as he lies about his cars.

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by SubieJack; 09 April 2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09 April 2016, 10:37 PM
scoobiepaul
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much tread depth was on the tyres? From the pictures it is difficult to tell, new tyre should have about 6 - 8 mm of tread depth.
Old 10 April 2016, 12:17 AM
TypeR99
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what worries me is that after all that you'd still hand over 8k for a 13 year old non-widetrack uk.

Or are you one of these people who must have a low mileage 10+ year old car and wonder why the tyres are cracked?

If I was handing over 8k+ I'd be looking at this

http://www.hurstcars.co.uk/used-cars...01512029164886
Old 10 April 2016, 07:05 AM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

8.5 for a non wide track uk no chance even if it was mint far to highly priced, as above the jdm fom hurst would be a better choise far better car.
Old 10 April 2016, 08:00 AM
SubieJack
Scooby Regular

TypeR99 - To be honest, it was the first one I looked at and I was just a tad excited. You always learn everyday about things, and in future I just won't offer anything unless it's a really low price. I got lucky he didn't accept, but in the back of my mind I knew he wouldn't..

Scoobiepaul - Tread depth isn't always what you should look at bud. Cracking is due to age. Too old a tyre = degradation and degradation = no grip. It had enough tread depth if it was say a year or 2 old tyre, but it was over 6 and had cracks all round the tyre profile. I've just bought a scooby with the exact tyres with no cracks and them being about a year old.

He is taking the michael having it up for that price and not budging. I reckon he's just paid too much for it and tried to get on the bandwagon like the rest of the trade sellers but just failed and is hardly making any money as it stands.
Old 10 April 2016, 10:59 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

£1,000 worth of RE070??!!
Crikey, Camskill deliver those for around £80 a corner!
Old 10 April 2016, 11:05 AM
SubieJack
Scooby Regular

LOL exactly. Complete *** this guy. I hope nobody buys it.

Trending Topics

Old 10 April 2016, 02:04 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The eBay advert put me off, full of inaccuracies.
Old 10 April 2016, 02:30 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

A thread saying do not buy this car? Why is it a richer no? Is it a piece if ****e,? No it need tyres a pair of discs and clutch is questionable hardly major is it you too couldn't reach a deal on price that's only reason u didn't buy it and because if that come and here and tell everyone to star clear grow up a small bit subie jack
Old 10 April 2016, 02:56 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
A thread saying do not buy this car? Why is it a richer no? Is it a piece if ****e,? No it need tyres a pair of discs and clutch is questionable hardly major is it you too couldn't reach a deal on price that's only reason u didn't buy it and because if that come and here and tell everyone to star clear grow up a small bit subie jack
Now in english.
If they lied about the tyres, clutch and brakes I would be cautious too. Even to the point of posting a thread.
Raggy Doo, would you buy it?
Caveat emptor.
Old 10 April 2016, 03:06 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

If car needed tyres n brakes 100 percent I would
Old 10 April 2016, 03:16 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

And clutch?
Even though it is at least a £1000 over priced, UK poverty spec and non wide track?

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 10 April 2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10 April 2016, 03:16 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If car needed tyres n brakes 100 percent I would
What even when it is advertised as it had brand new tyres last week when I blatantly hasn't?

You obviously have considerably more money than me to waste!
Old 10 April 2016, 03:20 PM
b3nmw
Scooby Regular

Paid too much for that. I paid about 9k for mine going bk 5/6 years ago with 48k on the clock
Old 10 April 2016, 03:22 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Now in english.
If they lied about the tyres, clutch and brakes I would be cautious too. Even to the point of posting a thread.
Raggy Doo, would you buy it?
Caveat emptor.
Old 10 April 2016, 05:32 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Last edited by Uncle Creepy; 16 April 2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10 April 2016, 06:29 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Giving it the big man on the Internet uncle creepy sit down son it's almost bed time.
Old 10 April 2016, 06:43 PM
SubieJack
Scooby Regular

Raggy doo, I'm just making people aware that he's a liar and the car is not what it's described. It's up for 8500 and he won't budge. Spending money on tyres, clutch and discs makes it a 10k car, which is definitely isn't.

If he hadn't lied about it and said it needed this and that then I wouldn't have made it public that he is a first class ****. He's a classic trade seller who thinks he can get away with selling a piece of ****e, when anyone that buys it generally knows what they're doing. If anything, I'm making it known the tyres haven't been changed, in case someone blindly went into it, as those tyres could cause an accident on a car like the STi! So, stop being an inconsiderate moron and move on pal

Don't come on here and start telling people to grow up when it's quite clear you don't quite grasp the concept of buying a used car and not being a bellpiece.

Last edited by SubieJack; 10 April 2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10 April 2016, 06:50 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Don't buy it because it needs four tyres and a set of discs? **** me the car is wrecked I think your blowing it out of proportion bud. I'll bow out now carry on
Old 10 April 2016, 06:53 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't buy it because it needs four tyres and a set of discs? **** me the car is wrecked I think your blowing it out of proportion bud. I'll bow out now carry on

I think you need to take a step back and think about what everyone has said mate before you start telling people to grow up etc, you are the one acting "big man" here... Chill out dude, the OP did a good thing by letting people know the guy is a chancer and what to look out for...
Old 10 April 2016, 06:54 PM
SubieJack
Scooby Regular

That makes it a 10 grand car mate, what don't you understand?!
Old 10 April 2016, 06:55 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Sad very sad indeed that car on a good day ain't worth a penny more than 5k the state it's in and that's without me even looking at it and was it allready warmed up b4 you got there?? but I bet you get some numpty buying it thinking it's worth the 8.5k in parts good on you for walking away try buying private were the cars history is known and been looked after
Old 11 April 2016, 12:50 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I would have gone look at this, looks mint, and sounds good on paper but think its gone now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Imp...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 11 April 2016, 01:35 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd want 10k for mine and its a non-widetrack,
Old 11 April 2016, 01:50 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

I'd want 14k for mine
Old 11 April 2016, 01:58 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZANY
I'd want 14k for mine
For a NON-widetrack, you must be dreaming
Old 11 April 2016, 02:06 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy
For a NON-widetrack, you must be dreaming
No me old mucked mines a jdm widetrack twinscroll
Old 11 April 2016, 02:11 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

JDM & WIDEtrack,

Worth Double !!!!!
Old 11 April 2016, 02:14 PM
SubieJack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
I would have gone look at this, looks mint, and sounds good on paper but think its gone now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Imp...vip=true&rt=nc
That's okay bud, I've already bought one and owned it for a few weeks now for 5% of the price that cheeky trade seller wanted..

Old 11 April 2016, 05:20 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Very nice

Quick Reply: HJ03 FBA | Do not buy | Subaru Impreza STi