ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Newage wagon suspension setup

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2016, 08:55 PM
scoobyjunky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newage wagon suspension setup

I've already bought the complete roll bar link set up now I would like to sort the struts out I have a wagon and it will used as a weekend you on the road with a few track days here and there what have other wagons owners gone for I was looking at variant 3s and blistiens
Old 03 April 2016, 10:33 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be following this thead with interest too as I'm a wagon owner too
My Greenwagon is 16 years old and I've just had bc coilovers fitted and fancy this hardrace
Stuff ( as I like the bling blue colour )and maybe some nice orange summit stuff

Those that know me know I haven't much clue about technical stuff so help me and the op with how to spend the cash

No track days planned for me and just a show car really
Old 04 April 2016, 10:04 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lordharding
I will be following this thead with interest too as I'm a wagon owner too
My Greenwagon is 16 years old and I've just had bc coilovers fitted and fancy this hardrace
Stuff ( as I like the bling blue colour )and maybe some nice orange summit stuff

Those that know me know I haven't much clue about technical stuff so help me and the op with how to spend the cash

No track days planned for me and just a show car really
We're talking about this over on this thread.
https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...l#post11816660

The summary is lots of debate about various coilovers (at various costs), but the best set up I've heard for a daily drive wagon is pca dynamics springs and KYB shocks, with a thicker rear ARB.

Last edited by Cambs_Stuart; 04 April 2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04 April 2016, 10:15 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Ps. I've gone for Meister R coilovers on my 2005 blob wagon and I'm very happy with them. But I have no experience of any others so I'm in no position to offer a comparison.
Old 04 April 2016, 01:53 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart

The summary is lots of debate about various coilovers (at various costs), but the best set up I've heard for a daily drive wagon is pca dynamics springs and KYB shocks, with a thicker rear ARB.

This.

But it depends on how much of a compromise you want to make between track and daily.
Old 04 April 2016, 02:44 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Or,
Blob/Hawk WAGON KYB Ultra SR struts
Not inverted - 324034, 324035, 324036, 324037 - £350 a set

I'm working on a matching, linear spring prototype - Eibach WA-A2

Last edited by 2pot; 04 April 2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04 April 2016, 08:02 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

One thing that is clear and agreed by pretty much everyone I've spoken to is this; once you've had the suspension done, regardless what set up you go for, get the geo done by someone who knows what they are doing. Or it'll handle like a pig on roller skates.
Apologies if that is stating the obvious.

Last edited by Cambs_Stuart; 04 April 2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04 April 2016, 09:38 PM
scoobyjunky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I know it needs the geomatry doing was more after the coil over reviews because i will be doing track days so need a bit of setup variance
Old 12 April 2016, 09:43 AM
boggissimo
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ps. I've gone for Meister R coilovers on my 2005 blob wagon and I'm very happy with them. But I have no experience of any others so I'm in no position to offer a comparison.
How happy is SWMBO?

Mine is not happy at all with the coilovers I had fitted (HSD, which I got second-hand and seem a bit knackered), so I want to change them. Seems like about the same price for a new set KYB shocks with PCA Dynamics springs as for new coilovers, especially the MeisterR with the group buy, but I don't want to get them fitted and then find they're still too stiff and uncomfortable for long journeys with the family. She is talking about getting a 'proper family car' instead of the wagon and I'd rather not change if we don't have to!
Old 12 April 2016, 10:07 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boggissimo
How happy is SWMBO?

Mine is not happy at all with the coilovers I had fitted (HSD, which I got second-hand and seem a bit knackered), so I want to change them. Seems like about the same price for a new set KYB shocks with PCA Dynamics springs as for new coilovers, especially the MeisterR with the group buy, but I don't want to get them fitted and then find they're still too stiff and uncomfortable for long journeys with the family. She is talking about getting a 'proper family car' instead of the wagon and I'd rather not change if we don't have to!
I had to Google SWMBO!
I've also had comments along the lines of "when are you going to get a grown up car?" Mainly from my in laws.
Last week I had to drive round very rural Wales and Herefordshire. Tiny roads in really terrible condition and my youngest son (3 years old) wasn't well. A land rover would have struggled with some if the roads. When I arrived the suspension was set to 12 clicks from soft all round, which was ok for the motorway, but to be honest was not suited for the back roads. So I wound them down to 6 clicks from soft all in the front and 7 from soft in the rear (lots of luggage). The ride was still firm, but not at all crashy or jarring. SWMBO was much happier as was ill child. Although I had to explain why I hadn't softened them up before...
Old 12 April 2016, 10:15 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boggissimo
How happy is SWMBO?

Ps. I've done a little write up here:

https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...l#post11819046
Old 12 April 2016, 01:49 PM
boggissimo
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ps. I've done a little write up here:

https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...l#post11819046
Great, thanks Stuart, very interesting. I would like the ability to adjust the suspension in case I do another track day in the wagon (need to do some brake upgrades first though after my previous experience!), and still have it soft enough to keep *ahem* less tolerant passengers happy. My boy always wants to go in the 'noisy car' but his mother is less enthusiastic!