Notices

Meister R coilover settings

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2016, 10:39 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Meister R coilover settings

I've been doing a bit of tweaking of the settings on my meister r's and I thought I'd report back.
My car is a 2005 blob wrx wagon with PPP, apart from the coilovers there are no significant other mods to suspension, anti roll bars, bushes etc.
The coilovers are set to close to the minimum drop (roughly 25-30mm all round). I've got 17" wheels with 90 sidewall tyres.
I'd describe my driving style as spirited, I've normally go my boys in the back and to be honest I know I'm not the best driver (I've got a couple of ex-pro drivers as friends and know there is a huge gap between my skills and theirs), so I expect there are people out there who may like their cars set harder than me.
So, in clicks from softest:
1-3. Very soft, I felt that this was under damped.
4-7. Soft to magic carpet (or as close as you're going to get with coilovers on a subaru). I found these settings idea for really poor back roads with a couple of ill children strapped in the rear seat. In these settings the coilovers soak up the worst of the road imperfections and the car is quieter and feels much more refined. No wallow, my wagon didn't feel like a galleon, but not as poised as with the higher settings.
8-11. Firm. I have found this to be good for longer motorway and dual carriageway trips and an occasional b road trip over ok roads. If I had to pick one setting to leave it on for ever it would be 10. I think 8 clicks from softest is close to OEM levels of damping and stiffness.
12-15. Firmer. Still usable but a lot more noise and feedback. Not suitable for bad roads. Can get tiresome on long journeys with rough surfaces. 14 onwards will provoke much more moaning from family. But if you're alone and the roads are good this level is fantastic. An utter blast.
16-17. As firm as I've set them. Needs really good roads or a good tolerance of NVH. Definitely not a setting to use if you are carrying a young family.

I hope this is useful.
Normally I have the same settings all round as I think impreza wagons have reasonably close to 50/50 weight distribution, but if I'm carrying luggage and the whole family I'll add set the rear to be one click firmer than the front.

Last edited by Cambs_Stuart; 07 April 2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09 April 2016, 06:41 PM
MeisterR
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds pretty spot on to feedback of other drivers.
That is the best part about an adjustable damper, you can pick what you like.

Get some more milage and let us know... a track day will help "find" the limit also.

Jerrick
Old 13 June 2016, 10:38 PM
Andyd1888
Scooby Regular

hi , i know this is an older thread but i am looking at getting a set of these for my 2005 blob wagon and trying to get as much info as possible first , when you say that when these are set at the firmer settings they become noisy , how noisy do you mean ,ie road noise or the usual clunking and banging you get from most coilovers , cheers andy
Old 14 June 2016, 06:18 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andyd1888
hi , i know this is an older thread but i am looking at getting a set of these for my 2005 blob wagon and trying to get as much info as possible first , when you say that when these are set at the firmer settings they become noisy , how noisy do you mean ,ie road noise or the usual clunking and banging you get from most coilovers , cheers andy
I've had no banging or clunking from the coilovers, fitting them has actually reduced the knocking and clunking in the car that came from the shot suspension.
These have solid top mounts in the front so do transmit more road noise to the car, especially on bad roads and more so if they are set on the car scale. When I first had them set to 16 all round on some dodgy surfaces I got a lot of noise at first from the trim in the car vibrating, but I've tighten everything up and eliminated that too.
I would recommend them. Where are you based? If you're passing you're welcome to come for a drive.
Old 14 June 2016, 10:11 AM
Andyd1888
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the feed back and the offer , but im in Glasgow , still unsure as to wether to get the coilovers or the prdders set up so trying to get as much info as possible first ,, thanks again andy
Old 14 June 2016, 11:19 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the feed back and the offer , but im in Glasgow , still unsure as to wether to get the coilovers or the prdders set up so trying to get as much info as possible first ,, thanks again andy
That's a long way to come for a drive...
The others i considered were hsd. Feedback (across all forums and makes) seems to be they are better than the MeisterR for track but the MeisterR are better for road.
Just to make it more complicated Pca dynamics springs and KYB shocks are a very well reviewed and there isn't a great deal of difference in cost.
Old 14 June 2016, 11:23 AM
taylor85
Scooby Regular

when i had my geo done i had like a 10 minute talk on the settings and bits and pieces done on my BC's
Old 14 June 2016, 04:59 PM
Andyd1888
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart
That's a long way to come for a drive...
The others i considered were hsd. Feedback (across all forums and makes) seems to be they are better than the MeisterR for track but the MeisterR are better for road.
Just to make it more complicated Pca dynamics springs and KYB shocks are a very well reviewed and there isn't a great deal of difference in cost.
Had thought about doing the kyb ultra sr and pca springs , but i also need to replace the four top mounts as there shot too and wasnt sure if i would need the bump stops and dust covers aswell if the standard ones didnt fit .defo got a bit of thinking to do now ?? Cheers for the advice
Old 14 June 2016, 06:42 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Had thought about doing the kyb ultra sr and pca springs , but i also need to replace the four top mounts as there shot too and wasnt sure if i would need the bump stops and dust covers aswell if the standard ones didnt fit .defo got a bit of thinking to do now ?? Cheers for the advice
I think the pca dynamics come with revised bump stocks but you will still need kyb dust covers. Good luck with making a decision. I procrastinated for ages, until the point where my suspension was so shot it was dangerous then it was a case of finding the best solution available in a short lead time.
Old 14 June 2016, 08:10 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Andy - I have a Hawk STI running Meister R Zeta Rs. I'm based near Carlisle - so not too far if you wanted to take a spin down and get a feel for what they're like on the road
Old 14 June 2016, 09:48 PM
Andyd1888
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lunar tick
Andy - I have a Hawk STI running Meister R Zeta Rs. I'm based near Carlisle - so not too far if you wanted to take a spin down and get a feel for what they're like on the road
thanks very much for the offer Lunar , i may take you up on that if i can find the time , as you can probably tell im having trouble making my mind up on what set up to go for , pedders sports ryder , great reviews comfortable but no adjustments , xyz,s good reviews or the meister r zeta crd,s with some great reviews and all the sdjustment i could ask for , as said they are going on my blob wagon which is used daily so comfort with the ability to set for some spirited driving is what im after ,, will give you a message if im going to take you up on the chance of drive mate .. cheers Andy