Sponsored by:

Hi all! newbie looking for advice on a bugeye STi

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2016, 04:47 PM
Zebrathree
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi all! newbie looking for advice on a bugeye STi

Hi all, new member to the forum, haven't got a Subaru yet but ill be starting the hunt in the near future and I have my eye on getting a bugeye STi, standard or as close to as possible and preferably at this stage a type UK . From what ive seen so far these don't come up for sale often and when they do they seem to be between £6-£8k, is this about the going rate for one as that is within my budget with 8k being my limit. Also like to know how these cope with age and mileage seeing as they're now 14years old and likely to have a fair few miles, I know service history and how the car has been treated is key with any car but is there anything particular with these engines and the car itself when they start getting on a bit?
Is a decent bugeye STi for upto £8k an achievable dream or should I rethink my choices?
I will be trawling the forum for research but it would be nice to hear some first hand views and advice from owners and ex-owners of this car.
Cheers
Old 29 March 2016, 05:15 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Could get a blob STI for that money to be honest. Not a lot come up as there are not a lot around now. Most end up getting sold for scrap as they fetch more money this way. Sad times.

You'll be hard pushed to find a low mileage bugeye in my opinion. Otherwise, great cars. You'll find a good STI eventually if you keep looking, but it may take some time!
Old 29 March 2016, 05:41 PM
Zebrathree
Scooby Newbie

Thanks I would consider a blob aswell had only really been looking for bugs, in no real rush anyway as it will likely by summer time before I can start realistically consider getting one just want to start researching all the relevant info
Old 29 March 2016, 06:08 PM
S9900B
Scooby Newbie

They're hard to find, especially a un abused one. It took me 5 weeks to find mine! Which may be coming up for sale soon

As for ageing etc mine has been garaged all it's life which makes a big difference.
Old 29 March 2016, 07:23 PM
Zebrathree
Scooby Newbie

Unless you wanna swap for a mk2 Leon fr I sadly can't take it off your hands right now lol
Old 30 March 2016, 11:32 AM
T800 GEN
Scooby Regular

8k should be plenty to find a decent bugeye sti. You will have to be patient though and the mileage is going to be high on quite a few of the ones you find. Type UK ones should be easier to find than a JDM.