Sponsored by:

Track Days - Wot Kit?????

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2001, 02:00 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Folks,

Just a question for experienced Track Day-ers.

Im going to book onto one of the forthcoming days - for the first time ever - so:

Ive read about tyres and tyre pressures. Ive seen that a full AP/Brembo setup rocks. Leda or DMS suspension (no arguing again Mike and Pete!!) improves handling no end.

But as a novice, do i really need all this stuff? Is there something that is a compromise? The cost of brakes and suspension seems to be the best part of £3000!!!

Should i spend less now - or will i end up loving track days so much that i might as well buy now and save some "startup" costs? Will a novice like me knacker in the standard brakes?

Will replacment pads be enough? If i get a set of uprated Discs, are they bound to warp so i may as well have spent the $$$'s on the AP/Brembo/other make kit in the first place?

There seems to be so much differences of opinion. One thing seems certain - im gonna be broke soon!!!!!!

(I own a MY01 WRX. No mods.)

Jza
Old 15 May 2001, 02:29 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Wink

Jza

Have Navtrak installed & then pay £2.50 for a read out of the day of your trackday. You will then be able to see your average speed & work out your lap times
Old 15 May 2001, 04:34 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Personally I wouldnt start upgrading everything at this stage as it doesnt actually add much to the fun - the most important thing is driver ability anyway ! I would suggest better pads and make sure you change the oil after each track day, or atleast after 2. Start spending if you get hooked and it is important to get the absolute maximum from yr car.
Old 15 May 2001, 04:50 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Depends how 'enthusiastic' you want to be on the track (and I guess which track).

I totaly destroyed the standard discs/pads at Donington and have just done some serious damage to my fairly new SO2s.

If you take it carefully then you may get away on standard kit, but some sort of brake upgrade would be a good idea and try to get some old tyres, if you can.

Insurance IMHO is a necessity - speak to your insurers or check with someone like Eggar Lawson - a lot cheaper than the 20 grand to replace the car!
Old 15 May 2001, 05:58 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
like 'Jza' i am considering some track days (next year though, as i got a get me scooby first ) intil then i am going to go down a just watch, ask a few question and generally get the feel of whats going on.

ive noticed that people have a good moan about doing in there very expensive road tyres on track days, so im thinking about the pros & cons of an old set of alloys and some slicks/intermediate tyres. seems to be more cost effective? am i correct in this? is there any pit falls for the first timer us this set-up?
Old 15 May 2001, 06:10 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Arrow

get some used older tyres, on a nu car you will be aware that u are wearing your nu cars tyres away!! on the side edge!!

enjoy it, don't push too hard and see how you go...u may find that u use ur pads quickly but nu pads arn't a fortune r they?!

as long as you don't get them changed at ur dealer!! hence me...£121 for nu back brake pads in feb.!!

that won't happen again

Phil
Old 15 May 2001, 07:43 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Jza.
A standard car is well up to doing track days as long as it's driven accordingly. You will probably suffer brake fade after a few laps, but just come in and let every thing cool down again. SIDC events are always run with an open pit-lane, so you can pretty much come and go whenever you like. There's nop pressure on you or the car to stay out for a whole session. There is also the track support unit that holds spare pads for most Scooby calipers.
If you get the bug, there's no doubt that a big brake kit is a virtual necessity, as no other set-up will offer as much performance or satisfaction.
Suspension is up to you. I'm still running standard shocks with Eibach springs, along with a few minor handling mods (arb's, anti-lift). The whole kit has cost me just £400 over two years, as I did them one at a time so I could see what difference each one made.
When my shocks finally give up the ghost I will probably fit a fully-adjustable kit, but I certianly wouldn't do it straight away unless you can really afford to that is.

Steve.
You should never go on track in the dry with decent road tyres on, you'll just destroy them. Get a second set of wheels and fit part-worns or whatever. You can even hire a set at some events if TN have any available. They normally have two sets to hire.

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 15 May 2001).]

Trending Topics

Old 15 May 2001, 08:05 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jza,

Love to know how you get on. I'm getting a MY01 in September and will be tracking it as soon as there are a few thousand miles on the clock.

I took my Puma on the track and found that standard brake pads don't last long so I'd take a spare set along to change so you can get home safely! Or take a dedicated track set with you (Yellow Stuff?) and change them there for you hot laps and then put the normal stuff back in for road use.

Steve
Old 15 May 2001, 08:46 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

2 very important things I found :

1. Do not go on track with newish tyres. The size of the tread means that as you corner, the tread is just pushed right over, the tyres start to scrub and melt badly.

2. Standard pads will be knackered with heavy braking. Either fit decent pads or dont try to scream into corners with your full weight on the stop button

Old 15 May 2001, 11:17 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Jza, you could always try going for the 'DEALER' upgrade. DS2000's.

I have seen a car run these allday without problems.

Dan
Old 16 May 2001, 12:03 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

jza.
All of my mods were carried out by TYRES NORTHAMPTON, who also attend every SIDC track event.
Call Mark on 01604 588599 for more info.

Stef.
Old 16 May 2001, 09:40 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Thanks Folks!!!

Im surprised what youve all said about the new tyres!!! Good job i found out before i got there!!!!!

Im surprised what Stef said about the suspension - i thought youd need the kit, but seems like a modest uprade is all thats needed for now. Where did you get the kit sorted stef?

So it would seem that the general opinion is to get a set of more suitable break pads (but avoid the dealers!!) and take some with me just incase. I presume theres people who know how to change pads if im not sure myself???

No one mentioned new break discs - so ill see if i can live with the standard ones.

I dont expect ill be punishing the car on my first day! I'll more likely punish my underwear!!!!!

Oh, and i shall get insurance sorted!!!

Thanks for your help. No ones mentioned engine mods - i take it breaks and suspension are first then???

Jza
Old 16 May 2001, 09:44 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Get a copy of this month's EVO - there's a whole article on track days. Well worth a read
Old 16 May 2001, 10:01 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Yeah - read Evo - engine mods I think are pointless - Brake upgrade will make the biggest difference to your track speed anyway (along with ability of course). Discs and 4 post are fine but you can get good new grooved/drilled discs for £200 so maybe worth it as they deglaze the pads - new calipers are only for the rich or seriously addicted...