Sponsored by:

2001 sport special?

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2016, 07:08 PM
Elliotjcase
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 sport special?

I am hoping that someone here could help me identify what ej20 my car has? Or has any information about these cars, there very rare with only 400 made and any info on them is brief if none at all! I would like more power as the n/a just doesn't shift but I've read the awd system on them is aggrecultural however some teacher from a rally school told me they had good diff's and this was nonsense..I don't know what is true and what is not as this is my first Scooby, also I would rather do a turbo conversion on my current engine as I got lucky with a low miler
Any opinion or info would be appreciated guys 👍🏼
Old 09 February 2016, 07:22 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Forget any turbo conversion as it will cost you way, way, way more to do than buying a turbo
Old 10 February 2016, 01:17 AM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Hi
The engine code for your car is EJ201 - it has 124 bhp from standard - there were 400 made of the sport special - 200 in cashmire yellow and 200 in black. The correct model year for the car is MY2000 as they were all made between March and October 2000. Your car maybe a 2001 plate - like mine but it's a MY2000.

As far as I'm aware of the AWD system is the same as the turbo 2000 apart from the turbos have a rear LSD.

A turbo conversion is very expensive and really not practical.

The best thing you can do is upgrade the brakes - Subaru branded 4 pots will fit straight on to the fronts - you will need 16 inch wheels or larger (mine runs on 17's) - I've got at rear disk conversion on mine - single pot sliding calipers from an early wrx - you will need to replace the rear hubs to do this - I've also got a rear anti roll bar fitted - it helps with the handling and I've also upgraded the suspension with wrx shocks and Apex springs - very hard ride though.

I've also got an unequal length manifold and a fully decatted exhaust - all 2.5 inches through to a ninja 2 back box - sounds great.
Hope this helps
Andy

Last edited by dark_angel; 13 February 2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old 13 February 2016, 07:42 PM
Elliotjcase
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by dark_angel
Hi
The engine code for your car is EJ201 - it has 124 bhp from standard - there were 400 made of the sport special - 200 in cashmire yellow and 200 in black. The correct model year for the car is MY2000 as they were all made between March and October 2000. Your car maybe a 2001 plate - like mine but it's a MY2000.

As far as I'm aware of the AWD system is the same as the turbo 2000 apart from the turbos have a rear LSD.

A turbo conversion is very expensive and really not practical.

The best thing you can do is upgrade the brakes - Subaru branded 4 pits will fit straight on to the fronts - you will need 16 inch wheels or larger (mine runs on 17's) - I've got at rear disk conversion on mine - single pot sliding calipers from an early wrx - you will need to replace the rear hubs to do this - I've also got a rear anti roll bar fitted - it helps with the handling and I've also upgraded the suspension with wrx shocks and Apex springs - very hard ride though.

I've also got an unequal length manifold and a fully decatted exhaust - all 2.5 inches through to a ninja 2 back box - sounds great.
Hope this helps
Andy
Thank you so much mate, what colour is yours? Iv got the cashmere yellow one, it's got a standard exhaust apart from a scorpion back box, Iv got a cold air intake and it sounds lovely but its all noise no go, Iv fitted a set of 17" rota's and the suspension is next as it corners like a boat, thanks for clarifying about the brakes, wasn't quite sure what I'd need but now I'm clear as day, if I decide to not go down the turbo route is there any other ways to boost power? I'm planning on a different manifold and decat 2.5" but I'm curious if there is anything else I can do? I can't go down the route of a wrx or sti as I'm young and cannot afford the insurance hence why I want to convert mine
Old 13 February 2016, 07:54 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Elliotjcase
I'm young and cannot afford the insurance hence why I want to convert mine
Converting your car would cost more to insure than a WRX and the advice above about not bothering to convert is solid advice.
Old 13 February 2016, 09:23 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you so much mate, what colour is yours? Iv got the cashmere yellow one, it's got a standard exhaust apart from a scorpion back box, Iv got a cold air intake and it sounds lovely but its all noise no go, Iv fitted a set of 17" rota's and the suspension is next as it corners like a boat, thanks for clarifying about the brakes, wasn't quite sure what I'd need but now I'm clear as day, if I decide to not go down the turbo route is there any other ways to boost power? I'm planning on a different manifold and decat 2.5" but I'm curious if there is anything else I can do? I can't go down the route of a wrx or sti as I'm young and cannot afford the insurance hence why I want to convert mine
Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Old 13 February 2016, 10:14 PM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

The car is yellow - the only thing you can really do to up the power is de-cat the exhaust and keep it serviced regular.

It was my Mrs car but she recently passed away so I don't know what to do with it - what I would like to do is make it into a show car as a tribute to her but that would cost a lot of money as its rusty as hell. It currently off the road due to not being able to afford to tax or insure it.

Andy.
Old 14 February 2016, 09:46 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all I am Sorry for your loss.

And I dont want to sound harsh, please dont take it the wrong way, but it is probably going to. If you cannot afford to tax and insure it standard, you have not got a chance of making it a show car. Costs of insurance will triple or more once you start adding big modifications to it.

When you say show car are we talking max power body kits, lexarse lights and neons? There are many different types of show car, and with a rare oddball like this I would go concourse rebuild inside and out, top to bottom. Alot of this can be done quite cheaply without insurance ramifications, a halfords socket set, basic tools and a haynes guide should see you right for alot of it. It also gives you something to get your teeth into and the satisfaction of doing it yourself will be immense.

Silver scooby sport's build thread will give you some good inspiration

The best bet is restore it to standard, repair the rust and just enjoy it.
Old 14 February 2016, 09:12 PM
Elliotjcase
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Hi dan I am intrigued at how you can help me with insurance so care to share?
Old 14 February 2016, 09:19 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Hi dan I am intrigued at how you can help me with insurance so care to share?
He can't.

He posts the same thing on every insurance thread looking for business. It's nothing personal and I doubt he will be able to do anything special.
Old 14 February 2016, 09:20 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

is there any other ways to boost power? I'm planning on a different manifold and decat 2.5" but I'm curious if there is anything else I can do?
Strip it the **** out! Everything from jack and spare wheel to aircon pump any seats you dont need trim sound system. Sound deadening to the bare minimum. Should see a marked improvement for free but will be driving around in a stripped out motor if that's what you want
Old 14 February 2016, 09:26 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by south_scoob
Strip it the **** out! Everything from jack and spare wheel to aircon pump any seats you dont need trim sound system. Sound deadening to the bare minimum. Should see a marked improvement for free but will be driving around in a stripped out motor if that's what you want
You won't see a difference....

Unless you go insane with it, which you aren't going to. It's about the same weight saving as not having a small child as a passenger. Not worth the effort and discomfort.
Old 14 February 2016, 10:48 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

The alloy decat down pipe he's got planed alone will be the difference of a small child compared to the heavy pig iron Subaru catalytic converter.
Old 15 February 2016, 12:13 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

by all means do what makes you happy with regards to zorst / UEL headers but IMO don't strip it out, enjoy it for what it is, a 'sport special'. Keeping it close to original will stand it in good stead for resale if it's a clean example.
Old 17 February 2016, 11:16 AM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
First of all I am Sorry for your loss.

And I dont want to sound harsh, please dont take it the wrong way, but it is probably going to. If you cannot afford to tax and insure it standard, you have not got a chance of making it a show car. Costs of insurance will triple or more once you start adding big modifications to it.

When you say show car are we talking max power body kits, lexarse lights and neons? There are many different types of show car, and with a rare oddball like this I would go concourse rebuild inside and out, top to bottom. Alot of this can be done quite cheaply without insurance ramifications, a halfords socket set, basic tools and a haynes guide should see you right for alot of it. It also gives you something to get your teeth into and the satisfaction of doing it yourself will be immense.

Silver scooby sport's build thread will give you some good inspiration

The best bet is restore it to standard, repair the rust and just enjoy it.
Thanks. What I meant was, like you say a concourse rebuild, as a tribute to her to take to shows, etc. The rust is the only problem really.

I know Simon (sliver scooby sport) and I know the car it's stunning - I saw it being restored in the garage where I used to go to.

It's already been extensively modified - all declared - and drives very well apart from the very hard ride due to the apex lowering springs - these will be replaced with eibach springs.

I have another Impreza as my daily drive so it's doable with the cash to do it.
Andy.
Old 17 February 2016, 11:17 AM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by riiidaa
by all means do what makes you happy with regards to zorst / UEL headers but IMO don't strip it out, enjoy it for what it is, a 'sport special'. Keeping it close to original will stand it in good stead for resale if it's a clean example.

Wise words !

Andy
Old 17 February 2016, 11:23 AM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Thank you so much mate, what colour is yours? Iv got the cashmere yellow one, it's got a standard exhaust apart from a scorpion back box, Iv got a cold air intake and it sounds lovely but its all noise no go, Iv fitted a set of 17" rota's and the suspension is next as it corners like a boat, thanks for clarifying about the brakes, wasn't quite sure what I'd need but now I'm clear as day, if I decide to not go down the turbo route is there any other ways to boost power? I'm planning on a different manifold and decat 2.5" but I'm curious if there is anything else I can do? I can't go down the route of a wrx or sti I as I'm young and cannot afford the insurance hence why I want to convert mine
There could be something not quite right with the car as you think it's not got the "go" you expect - maybe you expected it to be as quick as the rally cars ?

When I go out with the club (I'll pm you) I keep up with them all - with their wrx's and sti's - they don't hang about sometimes either.
Andy
Old 17 February 2016, 09:24 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dark_angel
There could be something not quite right with the car as you think it's not got the "go" you expect - maybe you expected it to be as quick as the rally cars ?

When I go out with the club (I'll pm you) I keep up with them all - with their wrx's and sti's - they don't hang about sometimes either.
Andy
As I've said before, a classic sport is not a slow car. Weighing little over a ton iirc. With some mods to up the power or save even more weight its not a car that's gonna hang around!

Will defiantly out handel a newage wrx by a country mile