What would i need to turbo the hawk r sport

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2016, 08:20 AM
bparkes007
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would i need to turbo the hawk r sport

Hi guys,

Heres my question, and i know the easy answer is its cheaper to just buy a WRX or STi model... but im thinking about a project for myself, and if its worth making it a project or now. Can i turbo my EJ204 2.0L R Sport hawk? It has the same 2.0L as the older wrx i believe (EJ20) although im not sure how different they are if they are.

From thinking about it, i would need turbo, intake, intercooler, exhaust manifold, possibly a different MAF sensor, and possible ECU. I think i would need to change the compression on the engine... but im not sure on that one...

Thanks guys,
Old 08 February 2016, 08:36 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Have you had a look through the project forum?
I know this link is not turbo but is a good read on supercharging a n/a 2.0ltr Impreza.
https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...e-impreza.html
Old 08 February 2016, 08:44 AM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

I honestly wouldent bother personally mate. You're modding your car in an attempt to make it into a WRX, so why not just buy a WRX. Presumably you're going to tell the insurance company about the mods so it will be the same to insure anyway. Sell the sport, then the money you've made, plus the money you'd spend on mods, you could just buy a WRX with factory build quality.
Old 08 February 2016, 08:47 AM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Engine full wiring loom box brakes suspension ecu cooling system ect ect ect will cost more to convert than buying one so a waste of time and money.
Old 08 February 2016, 08:58 AM
bparkes007
Scooby Regular

I guess my problem is that im attached to my scooby, i have upgraded the suspension and brakes on it already, sti 50m inverted and bigger disks and pads, and was hoping power would be next, okay, ill just look at an STi model...
Old 08 February 2016, 08:59 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Peedee
I honestly wouldent bother personally mate. You're modding your car in an attempt to make it into a WRX, so why not just buy a WRX. Presumably you're going to tell the insurance company about the mods so it will be the same to insure anyway. Sell the sport, then the money you've made, plus the money you'd spend on mods, you could just buy a WRX with factory build quality.
not technically true, as the R would be insured as a modified car, where the wrx would be standard, so should really be cheaper to insure.
Old 08 February 2016, 09:03 AM
bparkes007
Scooby Regular

Okay, well if i was going to get a turbo'd one i promised myself i would gwt a top of the range STi, now i really like the hatch models but have heard that the 2.5 bottom end is softer and the suspension went down hill? Is this true? Bare in mind i have blobeye sti suspension on mine atm and i love it
Old 08 February 2016, 10:29 AM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
not technically true, as the R would be insured as a modified car, where the wrx would be standard, so should really be cheaper to insure.
I see what you're saying, but my thinking is that the WRX will be a higher insurance catagory as standard, so a lower catagory 'Sport' with mods would prob be about the same as a higher catagory WRX in standard form? If that makes sense?
Old 08 February 2016, 12:19 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I had the same problem many years ago, didn't want to part with mine, thought about turbo route, even NOS, but in the end bought a Turbo Impreza, the non turbo soon went.

Originally Posted by bparkes007
I guess my problem is that im attached to my scooby, i have upgraded the suspension and brakes on it already, sti 50m inverted and bigger disks and pads, and was hoping power would be next, okay, ill just look at an STi model...
Old 08 February 2016, 12:32 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

As has been said. Dont bother. Only reason to do so would be if you can find a crash damaged car and swap the whole lot, literally back to bare shell. Given the time and effort involved in it you would be better just buying one.
Old 08 February 2016, 12:35 PM
bparkes007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
I had the same problem many years ago, didn't want to part with mine, thought about turbo route, even NOS, but in the end bought a Turbo Impreza, the non turbo soon went.
Haha i think i will just wait and get a turbo'd one...
Old 08 February 2016, 02:08 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

There was a project thread ages ago where someone very mechanically minded tried to convert their non-turbo car to a full turbo version. He spent ages and a LOT of money and to my memory that never got completed.

Good luck to you, but with teh falling prices of WRX and STI models I really don't see the point personally.
Old 08 February 2016, 05:05 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
There was a project thread ages ago where someone very mechanically minded tried to convert their non-turbo car to a full turbo version. He spent ages and a LOT of money and to my memory that never got completed.

Good luck to you, but with teh falling prices of WRX and STI models I really don't see the point personally.
Falling prices? I've been vaguely monitoring and they have been stable. roughly (Imo)

1500-2500 a uk classic turbo

2500 will get you a average newage wrx waggon

2500-3000 a average bug wrx

3000-3500 a blob wrx

6000+/- for blob sti type uk's

Hawkeyes are more and Imo not worth it due to there questionable reliability and higher tax

Last edited by south_scoob; 08 February 2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08 February 2016, 07:02 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Good luck getting a decent classic for 2k
Old 08 February 2016, 07:18 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

Depending on mileage and condition he could sell he's hawk R sport and have his pick of quite a few decent Impreza turbos
Old 08 February 2016, 07:36 PM
bparkes007
Scooby Regular

Think i could get about 3000 for mine, i did want an STi, and something newer, but heard so much about the 2.5l engines.
Old 08 February 2016, 07:48 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Think i could get about 3000 for mine, i did want an STi, and something newer, but heard so much about the 2.5l engines.
It really is hit and miss with the 2.5 IMO. Stay away from modded ones on standard internals if you can, plus go for the lowest mileage example you can find.
Old 08 February 2016, 08:11 PM
ross2786
Scooby Regular

Or buy my complete 2.5 sti engine covered 40k miles. 😊😊
Old 08 February 2016, 08:15 PM
bparkes007
Scooby Regular

Erm... are both of you selling a hawk sti?? Lol
Old 08 February 2016, 08:18 PM
ross2786
Scooby Regular

Erm... are both of you selling a hawk sti?? Lol
The jerk is a troll! Look through other threads and you'll see
Old 08 February 2016, 08:21 PM
bparkes007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ross2786
The jerk is a troll! Look through other threads and you'll see
Haha okay thanks, pm me the details if your selling
Old 08 February 2016, 09:18 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

if you didnt mind going for a standalone ECU you could probably get away with a small turbo and a teeny tiny amount of boost on it. Your injectors and fuel regulator would need substantially upgrading and you'd also have to run a return line to the fuel tank as your car likely doesn't have one. Also you'd be limited to maybe 5-10psi max and would be easily passed by a bog standard WRX - let alone one that would have the same amount of money spent on it.

Really a better option would be to buy a turbo model the same chassis as yours and transfer over the nice bits you have, then sell the sport with the leftovers to some yoof who can't afford a turbo car to begin with.
Old 08 February 2016, 10:42 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
if you didnt mind going for a standalone ECU you could probably get away with a small turbo and a teeny tiny amount of boost on it. Your injectors and fuel regulator would need substantially upgrading and you'd also have to run a return line to the fuel tank as your car likely doesn't have one. Also you'd be limited to maybe 5-10psi max and would be easily passed by a bog standard WRX - let alone one that would have the same amount of money spent on it.

Really a better option would be to buy a turbo model the same chassis as yours and transfer over the nice bits you have, then sell the sport with the leftovers to some yoof who can't afford a turbo car to begin with.
alot of cash for very little gain, more money than just swapping cars i bet
Old 08 February 2016, 10:52 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

yes tidgy, almost certainly more cash but we've all had that car we love and would do anything for before we see the light. I do recall a 2.5i impreza that I mapped for a guy in the US though, fitted sti injectors on the stock returnless rail, TD04 and wrx headers along with MAF and intake, giant fuel pump and an aftermarket boost controller. Mind you i had to hack the standard rom file to bits (load limits, maf limits, map limits - basically everything limits!) and he's quite happy with a respectable 10psi. He knows it's not the fastest car in the world (or in the WRX world even) but he got all the parts from a junk yard for small amounts of dollars and he now has the turbo sound effects he always wanted.

Pesonally though - i'd say it's madness and just go buy a turbo car in the first place.
Old 09 February 2016, 08:35 AM
bparkes007
Scooby Regular

Okay... so obviously trying to turbo the n/a is completely pointless.. i think for a project ill look at getting a wrx then upgrading it to push 300bhp /300ft torq... but obviously i dont want to strain the engine or anything too much, what i was thinking is a bigger turbo, sti inlet manifold and injectors, ecu remap, tien springs for suspension upgrade, sti intercooler (if its any better), performance air filter and probably a cat back exhaust system... would that put it to 300/300 from 225/220? And what turbo would you guys advise. I am thinking on the hawk wrx, only coz im not massively keen on the blob /bug's unless theres a blob which catches my eye
Old 09 February 2016, 09:20 AM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

Okay... so obviously trying to turbo the n/a is completely pointless.. i think for a project ill look at getting a wrx then upgrading it to push 300bhp /300ft torq... but obviously i dont want to strain the engine or anything too much, what i was thinking is a bigger turbo, sti inlet manifold and injectors, ecu remap, tien springs for suspension upgrade, sti intercooler (if its any better), performance air filter and probably a cat back exhaust system... would that put it to 300/300 from 225/220? And what turbo would you guys advise. I am thinking on the hawk wrx, only coz im not massively keen on the blob /bug's unless theres a blob which catches my eye
Just rember a hawk wrx costs nearly 500 a year to tax

And yes it should take those mods but not as reliably as a blob wrx
Old 09 February 2016, 09:26 AM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

They changed the piston material to a weaker substance to create less friction and make it more economical hence why the piston ring lands break.

What they ended up with is a worse polluting less economical car

There is also reports off them being more prome to head gasket failure. And they have alot more torque and a 5 speed. Torque kills gearboxes so that might be something else to consider.

I would probably get the proven stone age 2l turbo that the japs have always used. They only fobbed foreign markets off with the 2.5)
Old 09 February 2016, 09:34 AM
bparkes007
Scooby Regular

Hmm okay... good to know, its just the age of the cars for me, i know if its been looked after its okay, but i just look at age and think its not as new as mine haha.
Old 09 February 2016, 09:44 AM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

Completely understandable. But a blobeye is not much older then your hawk wrx and shouldn't feel any different. Not like a classic (for better or worse) plus they fitted a stronger gear set (1mm wider cogs I believe) so the gearbox is defiantly stronger after 2003 then a bugeye if its got the 4aa not 2aa code
Old 09 February 2016, 09:46 AM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

I did alot if research before buying mine and if you dont want to siv through the chav pool off rusty classics to find a good one. The next best is a blobeye

Quick Reply: What would i need to turbo the hawk r sport