Subaru WRX STi VS Golf R

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2016, 01:21 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Subaru WRX STi VS Golf R

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by jaygsi; 27 January 2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 27 January 2016, 01:46 PM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

For me other than price and horse power they are 2 completely different cars. The scooby is more of a drivers car and the Golf is a mile muncher with sporty credentials.

Both good cars but for different reasons. What is clear and has been said many times before is why didn't Subaru offer more power, and will they bring back performance packs possibly not from Prodrive but Cosworth are a potential shout.

I love rally so for me there is no contest; however if VW actually made a road going Polo WR with permanent 4 wheel drive and 300 + BHP then my interest would definitely be peaked.
Old 27 January 2016, 01:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still prefer the RCZR to either one, as you can see even being fwd and having less bhp, its nearly 5 seconds quicker in the wet over the STI

Tony
Old 27 January 2016, 02:32 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

I agree with most of what you said.

I'd still prefer the Impreza, or not Impreza as it goes. Golf to me seems abit too euro box for me.

The one thing that puzzles me is power, for years i use to complain about old Vauxhalls being under powered, more so the hot hatch models eg Corsa's, then Vauxhall went from 120 bhp models which was there fastest to over 200bhp.

But for some reason Subaru arn't responding enough, admittedly the power has gone up to 300bhp compared to standard UK models or old 220bhp, but now were getting 300 bhp Golfs, its nuts.

Originally Posted by Rusti
For me other than price and horse power they are 2 completely different cars. The scooby is more of a drivers car and the Golf is a mile muncher with sporty credentials.

Both good cars but for different reasons. What is clear and has been said many times before is why didn't Subaru offer more power, and will they bring back performance packs possibly not from Prodrive but Cosworth are a potential shout.
Old 27 January 2016, 06:01 PM
scoobygreg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really keen on golfs but besides the r badge that's a proper sleeper. .gonna surprise alot folks
Old 27 January 2016, 06:10 PM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

Currently got a golf r and thats coming from a previous forged UK sti at good power and then a JDM Sti, so not a comparison to a newer impreza.

However what is clear is how well made the VW is, it is absolutely beautiful to drive , especially with the DSG box, it is effortless and so planted even in standard form, it is also pretty nice to sit in on long journeys and far less in your face then an impreza, so for me I am converted.

Throw in a 500 quid remap and you have nearly 350bhp in a golf and a time of around 9 secs to 100 and around 4 secs to 60 you cant really go wrong (thats practically supercar times), obviously RS3/A45 would be the ultimate but with the prices of golf r's dropping due to the massive lease deals they done, they are going to be a performance bargain when the prices keep dropping.
Old 27 January 2016, 06:27 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
I still prefer the RCZR to either one
lol biased? its a lot wetter in the other vid to be fair
Old 27 January 2016, 06:35 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

As much as I know the golf is quicker, nicer to drive, more reliable etc, strangely I'd still rather have the Impreza. I feel the golf just doesn't really have much of a personality or character to it (IMO). if I'm spending 30k on a performance car, for me personally, I want it to look like a performance car (I understand some folk want the sleeper look, that's fine). You can tell the Impreza is quick, you can tell the new type r is quick, you can tell the new Focus RS is quick, you can tell the A45 AMG is quick. The golf just looks, well, like a golf to the untrained eye.

I wouldent say this is down to being an Impreza fanboy as I love all the cars mentioned above, and if I was spending 30k on a performance car, the Impreza would be pretty low down the list, but in this case I.e Golf VS Impreza, it would be the Impreza for me.

Just my ten pence
Old 27 January 2016, 07:21 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A heavily modded Impreza can be a very rapid beast but its major problem is that you can never sit back and relax in it, at least I can't in mine. It's full on all the time and has to be driven accordingly. I've also got a fastish Merc that conversely almost drives itself, so much so that if I fell asleep at the wheel I'm convinced it would shake me gently awake at home in my drive and it would give me tea and biscuits. I can cut loose in it but rarely do. I'm sure the Golf R is a similar vehicle. Just depends what you want from a car I suppose.
Old 27 January 2016, 07:50 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bioforger
lol biased? its a lot wetter in the other vid to be fair

Autoexpress have the rczr on their track in the wet, they also have a my11 with the pro r upgrade pack, 320ps, that ran in the dry, guess which one was much quicker
Old 27 January 2016, 08:46 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobygreg
Not really keen on golfs but besides the r badge that's a proper sleeper. .gonna surprise alot folks
Its got quad exhausts. It's always the tail pipes that give it away on these german range toppers.
Old 27 January 2016, 08:51 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

Golf git dsg launch control and was a foot closer to the start line.

The dope in the sti just sealed its fate as well
Old 27 January 2016, 09:06 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luke 687
STI IS AIDS CAR
Wtf are you on?

Mods, can we not ban this dick?

Last edited by Peedee; 27 January 2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 27 January 2016, 09:07 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by south_scoob
Golf git dsg launch control and was a foot closer to the start line.

The dope in the sti just sealed its fate as well
Yeah I noticed this aswell. Granted, the golf R would have still won, but he deffo got a good head start
Old 27 January 2016, 09:18 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Luke 687
STI IS AIDS CAR
Ban coming to you very soon - no **** off!
Old 27 January 2016, 11:45 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In my experience it's all well and good pitching one car against another on a spec sheet or on track, but on the road in the moment spec sheets and Nurburgring times mean very little, it's all about the nut behind the wheel and how good he is, the car may be capable of all manner of magical feats but it's only ever going to be as good as the guy driving it.
Old 28 January 2016, 12:39 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Try driving a classic Impreza lol

Thats what i like about the Impreza it encourages you to be bad, i've driven other high performance saloons and they encourage you to sit back and relax, i'm not that old lol

Originally Posted by Paben
A heavily modded Impreza can be a very rapid beast but its major problem is that you can never sit back and relax in it, at least I can't in mine. It's full on all the time and has to be driven accordingly. I've also got a fastish Merc that conversely almost drives itself, so much so that if I fell asleep at the wheel I'm convinced it would shake me gently awake at home in my drive and it would give me tea and biscuits. I can cut loose in it but rarely do. I'm sure the Golf R is a similar vehicle. Just depends what you want from a car I suppose.
Old 28 January 2016, 01:23 AM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

Another thing I noticed in the closeups is the awful new WRX badge/font

The newage one looked pretty badass. Wonder how much money they spent redesigning it too look worse!
Old 28 January 2016, 02:40 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Autoexpress have the rczr on their track in the wet, they also have a my11 with the pro r upgrade pack, 320ps, that ran in the dry, guess which one was much quicker
Pics, vid or link to that article or it doesn't exist Joking aside it doesn't surprise me if it is true or not as the RCZR weighs virtually nothing compared to other cars in the same market.