ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

best to buy

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2016, 04:23 PM
shinyjacks
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question best to buy

Hi guys, (sorta) newbie here, just asking for a bit of advice regarding an upcoming purchase.
I'm in the market for a nice STI and just don't seem able to decide what would be the best option for me. Any comments, advice, suggestions or information sent my way would be gratefully recieved.

I'm looking for something made between about 03 -07, preferably with low mileage. My preferences so far are a WR1, a Litchfield or a jdm Hawkeye.
The WR1's look superb and being a ltd edition is always a good thing.
A Litchfield T25 seems to be an awesome motor, maybe a bit pricey, so is it really worth the extra money?
The jdm Hawkeye is a great looking car with a much better spec than the uk versions, so in theory a better engine to modify a bit if I fancied it.

Perhaps the biggest question for me though is whether to go for a standard engine (I know the T25 isn't standard but you buy the car with the mods done as part of the package), or something that has been uprated, forged or cosworth derived.
I'd like to get something quite special (for personal reasons) but also something that will be reliable. If 400bhp and high torque is worth looking at and will be very reliable with the right build, then great, but am I better off sticking to 300bhp?

Previously I have owned a 300 bhp Jdm Nissan Pulsar GTI-R (which I got burned on by some idiot tuner who ruined it, when all he was supposed to be doing was a service), and also a Scooby Legacy RSK Blitzen which was great......until the engine broke. So to say I'm a little wary would be fair, but I'd still like a nice, fast, slightly different STI

My budget will be around 12-15k.

All advice appreciated, thanks.
Old 26 January 2016, 05:10 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your budget can go a little further i know of someone that has a hawk spec c on the market.also a member on here,based in norwich so not a million miles away either.
Old 26 January 2016, 05:34 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Dont bother with WR1, 05 STI is a better drive.
Old 26 January 2016, 07:23 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Jdm's are much better than uk unless you want the ultimate flat four rumble which you would find in a uk spec