Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving up from a UK to JDM model.

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2015, 07:39 AM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving up from a UK to JDM model.

Hi all, a quick background before I go on...
I currently own a my00 uk t2000 with a ppp package fitted, before this I had an evo V running 370hp, and before this I had another UK t2000 running a td05 with supporting mods making 325/280. I flogged the evo on and bought the UK PPP so i could put the additional funds towards moving house.... Anyway, all that being done and dusted I am in a position to start thinking about a new motor. I have a decent sized garage now and the car would only be a weekend/dry day car.

All I keep finding myself going back to look at on the web are the JDM sti type R / RA's, and from people who have owned / driven them and people in the know I would like your opinion. After owning the evo, although yes it was faster I just somehow prefer the subaru, even my low specced UK PPP car, as a whole I prefer it much more. I have in my head finding a nice stock type R / RA and modding it to around 340hp ish with the following and purely spool and response in mind.... stock turbo, silicone intake (reliability more thn anything, both went on my old classics) cossy panel filter, fuel pump, full 3" turbo back, ported wrapped oem headers, harvey up pipe, lightened flywheel and a remap. I know people get caught up on numbers and the sti is just a better package in general... But if I bought one and did this do you think there will be a massive difference in feel between my old uk with similar power and this. I just wouldnt want to be gutted at finding that after all that outlay i could have just put a couple of K into my current UK to get that power and be just as happy. I havent ever been in a JDM impreza, but all you ever read on here is that they are in a league of there own. Does the STI engine, closer ratios and lightweight build really make a world of difference?!?! Any help or opinions would be great. Thanks all, Aaron.
Old 15 December 2015, 08:25 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't help you with the difference between the two as I have never driven a UK classic, I can say though that the Type R is a totally different animal to a non dccd car, short ratio's and the rear bias make it a real fun car to drive once you learn how it needs to be driven, throttle on always powered no sudden lifting off, as it's not like non dccd where you ease off the gas and it sorts it'self out, do that in a Type R and you better have fast hands and a bit of skill otherwise you'll be facing backwards.

I love mine and at 330bhp it's about right, I modded mine a little then took it back to standard wheels and mostly used it at 300bhp (dual maps) because it was more fun and not quite so balistic or planted, still not sure if I want to fit AP's and 17's as the standard brakes tell you when it's time to calm down.

It's easy to get used to the speed and driving everywhere at warp factor like a lunatic, then one of your mates that can drive a bit gets in it with you and starts screaming like a b1tch and it's a bit of a reality check.
Old 15 December 2015, 11:12 AM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

Subaru dry day only car?

Your doing it wrong!
Old 15 December 2015, 10:19 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Having gone from a UK turbo MY97 with a decat and induction kit, to a version 5 STI Type R running a Link ecu, decat and k&n they are worlds apart. Though it's probably 10 years ago when I made the change between the 2 cars. The Type R gearbox makes a massive difference.
Old 16 December 2015, 07:19 AM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by south_scoob
Subaru dry day only car?

Your doing it wrong!
lol i hear what your saying mate, the best fun ive had in my classics are in the snow and even better when you watch people struggle so much in other cars in it but im looking to get purely a weekend car because all you see these days are people buying these to break and give it a few years a type r/ra will be a very cool thing indeed especially if its close to mint nic. I think im leaning towards a type RA, as I like the fact that it doesn't look as good as it is, and to people unaware of the actual model spec they wouldnt have a clue its the most all-out brutal classic there was, if anything more of a 'poverty model' which i've read it being called a few times before lol. I just keep reading how the gearing makes such a big difference, cant wait to go in one.

Thanks for the replies guys. Ive been having a route through the classifieds on here and privately sold good examples seem to come up for a K or 2 cheaper then the dealer ones too. Starting from around 6k for a really good example.
Old 16 December 2015, 07:45 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

www.type-ra.com
Old 18 December 2015, 11:02 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I can't comment on a Type R, but i've owned a classic JDM wrx and 2000 uk turbo. And got to say prefer the WRX.

As in handling the wrx was so much tighter, harder suspension, better turbo, it felt like a go kart and i loved it. When i bought a Uk version i was unaware how different they where, and even though the UK impreza looked alot nicer, it had softer suspension and didn't feel good to drive. If it was an everyday car i'd say UK, but as its a weekender JDM.