Sponsored by:

Subaru warranty overseas

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2015, 02:00 AM
bigboyyz
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru warranty overseas

hi all so im in the military and I'm moving to Germany after my korea tour. I wanted to purchase a new sti but im having concerns about the warranty and was wondering if anyone here ever took their subie overseas and had to use the warranty. Is the factory warranty transferable?

My other question is should i buy the STi in the states or should i buy it in Germany? I probably will be looking at the 2017 STi's
Old 14 November 2015, 03:30 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The warranties are normally area specific so would only be valid in that zone, ie a JDM would not be covered in the EU but would still be valid to have recall work done for free.
Your best bet would be buying in Germany, I take it you would be buying what we call an MY16 car (so purchased before October 2016 when the new MY is released) and then it depends on how long your tour is to how long you own that for.

Tony
Old 14 November 2015, 08:49 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Hi. How long is your tour in Germany ? Will you keep the car after that, because obviously you will have a RHD car to ship home, which will be valueless there. A U.S car will not be covered as it is specced for a different market, I`m guessing. Uk cars are sold with a Europe wide assist policy; I had a Legacy which had a gearbox failure in France, 2 weeks before the warranty ran out. It was repaired in France, but not all my travel costs were covered in collecting it. That policy covered any breakdown.
I think a Subaru purchased in Germany would have a different warranty from the UK, as they are imported by different companies, so as Tony states, you are probably best to buy in Germany, and sell at the end of your tour; expect strong depreciation as newer Subaru`s are not held in the same regard here as in the States. Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
Old 14 November 2015, 08:52 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Will it be tax free ? That would make it worth it
Old 14 November 2015, 09:43 PM
bigboyyz
Scooby Newbie

tax free yes. I called SOA and they said only in Canada would the factory warranty be honored,but if something did happen they would investigate. Reason being Euro standards and American standards are different. So now im thinking its probably best to buy it in the States since im only going to be in Europe for at least 3yrs.

Last edited by bigboyyz; 14 November 2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01 July 2021, 05:13 PM
Ric12
Scooby Newbie

What did you end up doing? Did you purchase in the states and took it to Germany? How did the warranty situation played out?
Old 09 July 2021, 02:33 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Hi. How long is your tour in Germany ? Will you keep the car after that, because obviously you will have a RHD car to ship home, which will be valueless there. A U.S car will not be covered as it is specced for a different market, I`m guessing. Uk cars are sold with a Europe wide assist policy; I had a Legacy which had a gearbox failure in France, 2 weeks before the warranty ran out. It was repaired in France, but not all my travel costs were covered in collecting it. That policy covered any breakdown.
I think a Subaru purchased in Germany would have a different warranty from the UK, as they are imported by different companies, so as Tony states, you are probably best to buy in Germany, and sell at the end of your tour; expect strong depreciation as newer Subaru`s are not held in the same regard here as in the States. Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
Why would he have a RHD car if he bought it in Germany? Germany is LHD just like the USA.

Also this thread is 6 yeras old