Sponsored by:

DCCD vs widetrack DCCD

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2015, 08:05 PM
Bruty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DCCD vs widetrack DCCD

Had a bit of a search on this but could only really find information on widetrack DCCD vs non widetrack or DCCD.

The short of it is, I'm going to look at a few cars this weekend and one is a MY05 UK STI and the other which is about 1k more is a MY04 JDM STI so non widetrack but has the DCCD (Both cars are near enough standard). I was just curious if anyone had any experience of the two in terms of handling, or is it so minimal I would probably never know.

If it helps the car will mainly be used on the road and hopefully the occasional track day, and it's almost guaranteed I would be going coilovers, ARB's, anti-lift kit whichever I buy.
Old 11 November 2015, 09:03 PM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

Wider track makes the car more stable, Quite a few parts were changed.
Stronger wheel hubs with 5x114.3
Quicker steering rack
Improved front limited-slip differential
Revised DCCD system
Yaw sensor added
New ABS controller

Think there maybe more but can't think off the top of my head.

Bit of a hard decision between them cars, jdm will have a few goodies that the uk widetrack won't, and vice versa,
Now if it was the choice between a uk 05 widetrack and a jdm 05 widetrack it would be a clear decision

Last edited by InTurbo; 11 November 2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11 November 2015, 09:16 PM
Bruty
Scooby Regular

Would it be that noticeable with the two cars in question?

Also, does the DCCD actually make much improvement in terms of handling over a non DCCD variant, if both cars were non widetrack.
Old 11 November 2015, 09:35 PM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

Well I've owned a 04 06 and 07 Sti uk models. My 04 was on stock suspension and used to suffer from chronic understeer..

Moving to the widetrack 06 Sti was a big improvement for me. Did feel more composed and didn't have the understeer the 04 had. Dccd you can feel working playing with the different settings.
But these day I only use auto or open for around town or parking.

I personally would choose the 05 widetrack, it's a good car and they have been holding there value lately. Arguably one of the better uk cars in standard trim.
Old 11 November 2015, 09:40 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by InTurbo
Wider track makes the car more stable, Quite a few parts were changed.
Stronger wheel hubs with 5x114.3
Quicker steering rack
Improved front limited-slip differential
Revised DCCD system
Yaw sensor added
New ABS controller

Think there maybe more but can't think off the top of my head.

Bit of a hard decision between them cars, jdm will have a few goodies that the uk widetrack won't, and vice versa,
Now if it was the choice between a uk 05 widetrack and a jdm 05 it would be a clear decision
Not quite right as the quick rack steering was only ever on the JDM, the UK cars had exactly the same rack as before.
Improved front LSD... different make, does the same job, not really improved tbh.
Wider track is better and the geometry setup is improved on the MY05 car (same as a Spec C) v the MY04 JDM.

The difference driving would be that the JDM is more responsive and has a better power output with better steering feel, it will have the older interior (the MY05 interior is nicer), but I would say for a drivers car, the JDM will be the better of the 2 on the road.
Old 11 November 2015, 09:48 PM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Not quite right as the quick rack steering was only ever on the JDM, the UK cars had exactly the same rack as before.
Improved front LSD... different make, does the same job, not really improved tbh.
Wider track is better and the geometry setup is improved on the MY05 car (same as a Spec C) v the MY04 JDM.

The difference driving would be that the JDM is more responsive and has a better power output with better steering feel, it will have the older interior (the MY05 interior is nicer), but I would say for a drivers car, the JDM will be the better of the 2 on the road.
I worded that wrong not quicker but a revised rack,
Old 11 November 2015, 09:49 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

My 04 JDM with RB320 springs and OEM arbs does not understeer at all, which I attribute to the positive rake that the RB320 springs offer.

By the by I almost always leave DCCD on open - the only exception is when pushing on in slippery conditions when it helps with braking. The rear bias of the DCCD cars compared with non DCCD is worth having though.

Last edited by plenty; 11 November 2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11 November 2015, 09:51 PM
Bruty
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, that's the kind of info I was after more from an actual driving point of view rather than the mechanics.

I'm purely looking from a driving point of view but the interior wouldn't be a problem as I'll just swap the centre dash with my 2005 WRX
Old 11 November 2015, 09:51 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

I worded that wrong not quicker but a revised rack,
The only real difference is that it had the yaw sensor on it, it was still a 15:1 fast rack and the sensor caused more problems than it fixed as they went wrong if you farted around anywhere near the steering column
Old 11 November 2015, 09:53 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by plenty
My 04 JDM with RB320 springs and OEM arbs does not understeer at all, which I attribute to the positive rake that the RB320 springs offer.

By the by I almost always leave DCCD on open - the only exception is in heavy rain when it helps with braking. The rear bias of the DCCD cars compared with non DCCD is worth having though.
You can feel it working, a quick right/left/right cornering and you will feel the shift, but its only 1 of a part that helps rather than does everything for you, as you said, a good setup will reduce the understeer to virtually nothing, which is what you want
Old 11 November 2015, 09:57 PM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

By the by I almost always leave DCCD on open - the only exception is when pushing on in slippery conditions when it helps with braking. The rear bias of the DCCD cars compared with non DCCD is worth having though.
My 04 was on the oem suspension and geo settings with toyo t1 tyres, and it was a pain for understeering.
Amazing what the right mods can do.

Last edited by InTurbo; 11 November 2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11 November 2015, 10:00 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

My 04 was on the oem suspension and geo settings with toyo t1 tyres, amazing what the right mods can do.
The T1s probably had something to do with it - sidewalls too soft and generally not really suited to a newage Impreza IMO.

A nice firm sidewall like on a NS2R/AD08/595 RS-R tightens up the handling very nicely.
Old 11 November 2015, 10:05 PM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

The T1s probably had something to do with it - sidewalls too soft and generally not really suited to a newage Impreza IMO.

A nice firm sidewall like on a NS2R/AD08/595 RS-R tightens up the handling very nicely.
Maybe the toyo's on my rota wheels didn't help. But even on the oem gold wheels and Pirelli tyres it still did it.
I'm not the only one to complain of understeer on the Impreza.
I'm on Ad08r on my 07 hawk Sti with rb320 suspension and no understeer to speak of.

Last edited by InTurbo; 12 November 2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12 November 2015, 04:02 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

T1's on a newage are totally shoite, great on a classic.

I'd go for the JDM every time especially as you plan on tracking it, it's got a better engine and all important rear wiper.
Old 12 November 2015, 08:05 AM
S204Darren
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My S204 handled better than my 2003 Spec C 16" gravel edition on the road as standard cars and the S204 being widetrack felt far more stable. I fitted coil overs to the spec C and had the car set up by Cheveron motor sport Stafford and it was far more nimble than the S204 still more tail happy. However I've now recently fitted pillar ball pink arms from a S202 (the same as fitted to the S204 in theory) and have made a noticeable improvement. It is still not a stable at high speed as the S204 but it certainly feels more stable. If you want my 2 Pence worth if it was my money I'd by the JDM car and fit the pink pillar ball arm when you fit your Coilovers to the JDM is a better base car IMO.
Old 12 November 2015, 08:18 AM
S204Darren
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Ditchmaster ref track time, I never tracked my S204 but my Spec C was amazing on track. As a track/sprint car the JDM set up properly will blow you away. Make sure you get what ever car you buy to stop and handle properly and you won't be disappointed.