Sponsored by:

Geometry settings

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2015, 10:09 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Geometry settings

As per the title getting my lowering springs fitted this week on my Blobeye sti and was hoping someone on here will have some geometry settings that I can have my car set up to match? Car will be on tein s lowering springs with KYB ultra shocks and car will be lowered by 35-40mm? Thanks in advance.
Old 05 November 2015, 11:44 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

MUCH too far, unless you do lots of expensive stuff to the suspension, you will have effectively ruined the ride and, sadly, the roadholding.

Esp with that sort of lowering, there are no hard and fast values. I suggest taking it somewhere who KNOW what they are doing, Powerstation, or Carnetix, and discussing it with them.
Old 05 November 2015, 12:20 PM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car will be on the bumpstops, roll centre will be messed up, and you won't have the adjustability to move camber back to where it should be.

Try sourcing some pca springs. They come with shorter replacement bumpstop, and revised geo settings. Lowering won't be as much as Tein springs but at least it will drive nice.

Last edited by InTurbo; 05 November 2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05 November 2015, 03:38 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure what to do now not to keen on how high she sits but don't want to ruin the handling even though I only do fast road driving. I have spoke to some people who have lowered their Scooby's by 30-40mm and they say it's ok, doesn't sit on the bump stops snd hasn't ruined the handling or ride etc but equally some have said it will ruin the car and I don't fancy paying £250-£300 for the pca springs!!
Old 05 November 2015, 04:37 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Listen to the experts, not someone who has got those springs so is bound to say they are fine.

That level of lowering WILL mess up the handling, ride and roll.
Old 05 November 2015, 05:39 PM
stefjw
Scooby Regular

I'm with the majority

I've had my car at all sorts of heights and lowering as much as 40mm just destroys the ride, unless you change all sorts of other components.

Bottoming out and skipping round corners isn't much fun.

Anyone that claims a decked Subaru with just lowering springs handles well is either lying to themselves or just plain can't drive

I realise that sounds blunt but it's true
Old 05 November 2015, 05:44 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I've used Tein S Tech springs with the same drop on my standard WRX shocks for the last 7 years with no issues whatsoever. Car handling is great, ride is great. Not on the bump stops at all. FAR better than coilovers and handling far improved over the standard springs.

Quitre honestly couldn't recommend my setup more. Have just ordered whiteline ARB, CDF drop links and uprated ARB bushes today too.
Old 05 November 2015, 05:46 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

This is mine on the S Tech springs

Last edited by BrownPantsRacing; 05 November 2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05 November 2015, 05:47 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

It isn't slammed by any means.
Old 05 November 2015, 07:14 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

How much lower?
Old 05 November 2015, 07:27 PM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GONZO01
I'm not sure what to do now not to keen on how high she sits but don't want to ruin the handling even though I only do fast road driving. I have spoke to some people who have lowered their Scooby's by 30-40mm and they say it's ok, doesn't sit on the bump stops snd hasn't ruined the handling or ride etc but equally some have said it will ruin the car and I don't fancy paying £250-£300 for the pca springs!!
The stock Sti front struts are slightly sat on the front bumpstops as standard. You can't see them as there inside the strut! Technically it's classed as Spring assister, adding lowering springs will crush the bump stop/assister and provent the damper from absorbing bumps.

Believe me If you like fast road driving your car is a lot faster down a bumpy uk road when the suspension deals with the bumps and undulations making the car stable and giving you confidence to push on.

Totally the opposite of a car on a firm crap setup giving you no confidence.

The pca springs are more expensive but there designed for the car hence the shortened progressive bump stops and the correct geo setting included.

Anyone who says there slammed Impreza handles well obviously has never driven a well sorted Impreza.

People seem to think that just because the suspension is hard and there's no body roll they must have good handling!
Far from it, you need a element of controlled body roll / weight transfer to help put weight on to the tyres during a cornering, acceleration and braking to gain grip.

A stiff set up will brake away earlier especially in wet conditions.
This is made even worse if you add high camber angles as most overly lowered cars have. The whole reason of camber is so that the car rolls on to the tyre during hard cornering creating more grip, this won't happen with a overly stiff lowered setup.

Your also going to be running your control arms parallel to the floor or even pointing upwards! This will ruin your roll centre making lateral forces appear greater.
It's a funny thing roll centre, If the spring rate remains the same the roll would increase as the height of the car is lowered.

Another bad point of not having your control arms at a downward angle is your camber curve is reduced. Meaning when your suspension Compresses during a corner you will loose camber angle and have less grip.

Ideally they should be facing downward so as the suspension compresses the camber angle become greater helping you to gain more grip the harder you turn.

This Is all due to having McPherson strut suspension, it doesn't like being overly lowered.

Search ,Roll centre and camber curve.

Last edited by InTurbo; 05 November 2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05 November 2015, 07:41 PM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

As per the title getting my lowering springs fitted this week on my Blobeye sti and was hoping someone on here will have some geometry settings that I can have my car set up to match? Car will be on tein s lowering springs with KYB ultra shocks and car will be lowered by 35-40mm? Thanks in advance.
If you go ahead with fitting them try and reduce the camber that's been caused by fitting the springs. You Will need rear camber adjusters!

A nice neutral set up would be

Front camber -1.30
Front toe 0.03 total 0.06

Rear camber -1.00 or as close as you can get
Rear toe 0.03 total 0.06

If you want your car more biased towards understeer increase rear camber to match the front.
Old 05 November 2015, 08:38 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
How much lower?
No idea. It's however much the Tein S Tech springs dropped it by. They say 35 or so mm drop.
Old 05 November 2015, 10:16 PM
G10
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I put Tien coilovers on my Hawkeye because the original suspension was shot and they were cheaper. After having terrible tyre wear, I took it to Stevie at Grinspeed who set up the geometry a treat. He's a bit of distance from you, but it's worth getting it done professionally.
http://www.grinspeed.co.uk/services/geometry-setups/
Old 05 November 2015, 10:43 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Personally I always get the geo set again if the struts have been off.
Old 06 November 2015, 11:24 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Where?
Old 06 November 2015, 11:28 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

I had Quick-**** do my geo last time. This was only because they have the most advanced system in the area. They had no idea about settings or how to set it up so I did it with them to make sure it was right.
Old 06 November 2015, 12:32 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by InTurbo
The stock Sti front struts are slightly sat on the front bumpstops as standard. You can't see them as there inside the strut! Technically it's classed as Spring assister, adding lowering springs will crush the bump stop/assister and provent the damper from absorbing bumps.

Believe me If you like fast road driving your car is a lot faster down a bumpy uk road when the suspension deals with the bumps and undulations making the car stable and giving you confidence to push on.

Totally the opposite of a car on a firm crap setup giving you no confidence.

The pca springs are more expensive but there designed for the car hence the shortened progressive bump stops and the correct geo setting included.

Anyone who says there slammed Impreza handles well obviously has never driven a well sorted Impreza.

People seem to think that just because the suspension is hard and there's no body roll they must have good handling!
Far from it, you need a element of controlled body roll / weight transfer to help put weight on to the tyres during a cornering, acceleration and braking to gain grip.

A stiff set up will brake away earlier especially in wet conditions.
This is made even worse if you add high camber angles as most overly lowered cars have. The whole reason of camber is so that the car rolls on to the tyre during hard cornering creating more grip, this won't happen with a overly stiff lowered setup.

Your also going to be running your control arms parallel to the floor or even pointing upwards! This will ruin your roll centre making lateral forces appear greater.
It's a funny thing roll centre, If the spring rate remains the same the roll would increase as the height of the car is lowered.

Another bad point of not having your control arms at a downward angle is your camber curve is reduced. Meaning when your suspension Compresses during a corner you will loose camber angle and have less grip.

Ideally they should be facing downward so as the suspension compresses the camber angle become greater helping you to gain more grip the harder you turn.

This Is all due to having McPherson strut suspension, it doesn't like being overly lowered.

Search ,Roll centre and camber curve.
One of the best posts on Scooby Net - EVER!