Sponsored by:

Over rev when changing gear ? Help

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2015, 08:24 PM
Plane mad Harry
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over rev when changing gear ? Help

Hi, I have a totally standard 2002 bugeye wrx and have noticed that when I depress the clutch to change gear it goes up by about 200 to 300 rpm before it drops and am a little concerned because all my other cars the revs drop immediately, is this a normal turbo engine thing or do I need it checking out, thanks in advance, Andy
Old 02 September 2015, 08:46 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Do you know if the bugs have a clutch pedal switch fitted? If so it could be a good place to start looking.

Also look for slight air leaks round throttle body and associated vacuum pipes.

Last edited by gazzawrx; 02 September 2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02 September 2015, 10:50 PM
serpico
Scooby Regular

If there is no slip under load then should be ok. Stick it in 5th at about 40mph & give it a boot full if the the revs rise slowly in conjunction with the speed your clutch should be ok. If it revs like mad but you're speed isn't increasing then your clutch may be on its way out.

Apart from that it's a common trait on most newage Impreza's. The few STI's I've owned have done this (ever so slightly) but nothing of concern. Do a search & you'll see plenty on here with this issue. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as the car drives right & performace isn't effected.
Old 03 September 2015, 08:01 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Plane mad Harry
Hi, I have a totally standard 2002 bugeye wrx and have noticed that when I depress the clutch to change gear it goes up by about 200 to 300 rpm before it drops and am a little concerned because all my other cars the revs drop immediately, is this a normal turbo engine thing or do I need it checking out, thanks in advance, Andy

It might be that you are depressing the clutch a fraction to soon, before you are completely off the throttle. I have several other manual cars and if I drive these and then drive the Impreza I have exactly the same problem for the first few miles. It's just a matter of adjusting my personal gear change timing and the problem goes away!
Old 03 September 2015, 08:10 AM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Paben
It might be that you are depressing the clutch a fraction to soon, before you are completely off the throttle. I have several other manual cars and if I drive these and then drive the Impreza I have exactly the same problem for the first few miles. It's just a matter of adjusting my personal gear change timing and the problem goes away!

Agree, with above as likely cause, you may find the car has uprated clutch and/or flywheel fitted which makes the timing more difficult due to more on/off nature of the clutch.