Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with a Milltek &/or recommend a quiet exhaust system?

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2015, 09:10 AM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with a Milltek &/or recommend a quiet exhaust system?

I'm looking at replacing the Blitz system I currently have with a quieter system & was considering the Milltek system. I've previously used Milltek on my FRS & found them to be reasonably priced & well made. I just wanted to know if it was significantly quieter than the blitz? Anyone recommend any other exhausts that are nice sounding without the cabin drone?
Old 28 July 2015, 09:39 AM
Matt23
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scoobyworld race box or prodrive backbox would be a good choice.
Old 28 July 2015, 09:51 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

The Miltek is not quiet and drones at motorways speeds.

Go for a Prodrive downpipe with sports cat and second decat and keep a resonated centre section.
Old 28 July 2015, 10:00 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fpan
The Miltek is not quiet and drones at motorways speeds.
Really? I have a 3" Milltek on a 2.5 forged build and sound tested at Bedford Autodrome at 81dB@4.5k rpm. I would never call it loud even at full chat, and certainly not describe it as a droning sound.
Old 28 July 2015, 10:09 AM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Sorry forgot to mention I am running full decat & want to keep it that way. So need exhaust from the cat back section.
Old 28 July 2015, 10:10 AM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
Really? I have a 3" Milltek on a 2.5 forged build and sound tested at Bedford Autodrome at 81dB@4.5k rpm. I would never call it loud even at full chat, and certainly not describe it as a droning sound.
Is yours with the resonated centre?
Old 28 July 2015, 10:11 AM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matt23
Scoobyworld race box or prodrive backbox would be a good choice.

Prodrive would be good or perhaps H&S but bit pricey.

Trending Topics

Old 28 July 2015, 10:17 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

scoobyclinic run one on their race cars, give em a bell
Old 28 July 2015, 10:17 AM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by serpico
Prodrive would be good or perhaps H&S but bit pricey.
I've got a prodrive backbox in the shed that I took off my blob last year. I'm assuming you have a newage?
Old 28 July 2015, 10:18 AM
paul98typer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a Fujitsubo system on mine, quiet on tickover, does not drone on motorway's at all and only gets loudish when given some beans.
Tbh sometimes wish it was a bit louder but was on the car when I got it and does give the car more of a stealth approach.
Old 28 July 2015, 10:40 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
That's surpisingly quiet.

My FSTi with a turbo back Miltek system was around 93dB IIRC.

I changed the exhaust to a Prodrive downpipe/sports cat, resonated H&R centre section and custom made Genome backbox and it was a lot quieter and stopped droning at motorways speeds.
Old 28 July 2015, 10:42 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Is yours with the resonated centre?
Yep
Old 28 July 2015, 10:43 AM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Had my revolution tested on Sunday 87db
Old 28 July 2015, 10:43 AM
GH80
Scooby Regular

I changed from PPP system to Milltek cat back (non resonated).

It can sound a bit raspy at times, but the PPP was not loud enough for me. The Milltek is fairly quiet but comes alive a bit when you give it the beans. It is not completely silent when cruising on motorways but then that is not what I wanted.

I have been meaning to get a few drive by videos done, maybe if we get some days when it doesn't rain!

Old 28 July 2015, 11:09 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I recently changed from a 3 inch one piece custom pipe with PPP cat back to a 2.75 inch MillTek system. The MillTek is considerably quieter, especially on the motorway and is not too loud when you up the rev's.

Whilst the MillTek can tarnish on the tail pipe they remain a very well built system with a very good reputation.
Old 28 July 2015, 11:15 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
I recently changed from a 3 inch one piece custom pipe with PPP cat back to a 2.75 inch MillTek system. The MillTek is considerably quieter, especially on the motorway and is not too loud when you up the rev's.

Whilst the MillTek can tarnish on the tail pipe they remain a very well built system with a very good reputation.
Both my Miltek cat and a friend's developed cracks around the catalyst adn had to be welded, I wouldn't call it well made.

It did sound nice at full chat but the PPP cat is much better made IMHO.
Old 28 July 2015, 11:25 AM
TypeR99
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Cobra Sport full system on a forged 2.5 and it comes with a removable bung. Perfect for me as its neighbour and track friendly but also sounds amazing with the bung out. With the bung out its not as brutally loud as a blitz and you can have a conversation on motorways etc without needing sign language.
Old 28 July 2015, 11:42 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I used to run a full 3" decat miltek system on my classic. Was pretty quiet but sounded good, I only changed it because I wanted something a little louder at the time. It definitely wasn't a "droney" system either.
And not sure I'd call it well priced, it was over a grand when new !! Quality wise,,,, well everyone raves about how great they are but I wouldn't say it was a quality bit of kit to be fair. The welds all round the tail pipe began to crack quite badly and the system as a whole didn't really wear that well.
Old 28 July 2015, 11:47 AM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GH80
I changed from PPP system to Milltek cat back (non resonated).

It can sound a bit raspy at times, but the PPP was not loud enough for me. The Milltek is fairly quiet but comes alive a bit when you give it the beans. It is not completely silent when cruising on motorways but then that is not what I wanted.

I have been meaning to get a few drive by videos done, maybe if we get some days when it doesn't rain!

Impreza Sti Milltek exhaust - YouTube
Sounds nice mate. I'm trying to find that fine balance of decent sounding system whilst remaining relatively quiet within the car. Don't get me wrong I like noise but nothing that's going to make my ears bleed...like the blitz....

Originally Posted by TypeR99
I have a Cobra Sport full system on a forged 2.5 and it comes with a removable bung. Perfect for me as its neighbour and track friendly but also sounds amazing with the bung out. With the bung out its not as brutally loud as a blitz and you can have a conversation on motorways etc without needing sign language.
I did look at cobra mate. Bit pricey at the mo with no deals on at present.

Originally Posted by Berks-Jack
I've got a prodrive backbox in the shed that I took off my blob last year. I'm assuming you have a newage?
Yeah I've got a newage blob sti mate. There appears to be few different prodrive back boxes. Prefer the look of the round tail pipe to the oval. What system you running now?
Old 28 July 2015, 11:50 AM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
I used to run a full 3" decat miltek system on my classic. Was pretty quiet but sounded good, I only changed it because I wanted something a little louder at the time. It definitely wasn't a "droney" system either.
And not sure I'd call it well priced, it was over a grand when new !! Quality wise,,,, well everyone raves about how great they are but I wouldn't say it was a quality bit of kit to be fair. The welds all round the tail pipe began to crack quite badly and the system as a whole didn't really wear that well.
That's good to hear. I am swaying towards the Milltek but not ruled out H&S or the prodrive. Scoobyworld have deal on them at the mo for £329 non resonated or somewhere around £389 for a resonated one. Not bad compared to what they used to cost!
Old 28 July 2015, 11:52 AM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815

What's it like at motorway cruising speeds? Any drone? Cheers
Old 28 July 2015, 12:46 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I've had a full 3" milltek decat and currently have a full 3" Hayward and Scott de cat.
In my experience the Hayward and Scott is far superior in build quality and sounds like a Subaru should, not ear splitting but not too quiet like the milltek.

I would never buy another milltek while h&s sell a better system at a competitive price.
Just my opinion

Siv
Old 28 July 2015, 12:47 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i have a mlltek 2.5 system and if anything sounds quiet to me. people tell me it sounds nice on full chat when hearing it outside the car but from inside its not noisy and on motorways its not droney in the slightest. have been tempted a few times to get something louder but they are a quality system so i have stuck with it.
Old 28 July 2015, 01:34 PM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sivo
I've had a full 3" milltek decat and currently have a full 3" Hayward and Scott de cat.
In my experience the Hayward and Scott is far superior in build quality and sounds like a Subaru should, not ear splitting but not too quiet like the milltek.

I would never buy another milltek while h&s sell a better system at a competitive price.
Just my opinion
Siv
Cheers mate. So are you saying the Milltek is quieter than the H&S? I always thought it was the other way around.

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4
i have a mlltek 2.5 system and if anything sounds quiet to me. people tell me it sounds nice on full chat when hearing it outside the car but from inside its not noisy and on motorways its not droney in the slightest. have been tempted a few times to get something louder but they are a quality system so i have stuck with it.
Is yours with resonated or non resonated centre? Cheers
Old 28 July 2015, 02:10 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

[QUOTE=serpico;11716882]Cheers mate. So are you saying the Milltek is quieter than the H&S? I always thought it was the other way around.

I have only dealt with full 3" decats as stated in my post but the Hayward and Scott system sounds deep where the milltek sounds a little tinny in comparison.

In a nutshell though the h&s is way louder than the milltek hth

Siv
Old 28 July 2015, 02:27 PM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

Yeah I've got a newage blob sti mate. There appears to be few different prodrive back boxes. Prefer the look of the round tail pipe to the oval. What system you running now?
At the time I had a fully decatted exhaust with a non resonated centre section mated to the Prodrive bb (rounded tailpipe) and it was perfect for me. Quiet enough around town but then did open up when you put your foot to the floor.

I've got a widetrack blob now and it has a decatted downpipe and non resonated centre section with Milltek bb.

The Prodrive had a deep rumble where as I find the Milltek has more of a high end rasp when pushing on.
Old 28 July 2015, 02:43 PM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Berks-Jack
At the time I had a fully decatted exhaust with a non resonated centre section mated to the Prodrive bb (rounded tailpipe) and it was perfect for me. Quiet enough around town but then did open up when you put your foot to the floor.

I've got a widetrack blob now and it has a decatted downpipe and non resonated centre section with Milltek bb.

The Prodrive had a deep rumble where as I find the Milltek has more of a high end rasp when pushing on.
Cheers mate. Think I may have to go down the same route as your prodrive.
Old 28 July 2015, 04:11 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What's it like at motorway cruising speeds? Any drone? Cheers
Pretty good compared to the Titanium Fujitsubo Catback I had on my RA, 4500 kms round Europe in a week makes you appreciate a quieter exhaust. I have had Ninja, Prodrive WR and custom built systems and depending on tune, mapping, engine spec and turbo everyone will be different.

Try and get a few drives with other people before you decide.