Sponsored by:

Type r brakes

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2015, 07:30 AM
Richardweasel
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Type r brakes

Hi I picked up my type r last night and was really impressed with it apart from the brakes! I know it's a 18 year old car so they are not going to be the best but can you reccomend any upgrade options or would it be worth just changing the fluid and put new discs and pads all round.
Old 25 July 2015, 07:51 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are things that can be done to improve them like, Performance Friction pads and discs, 5.1 fluid, braided lines, servo brace bracket, full re-firb of the calipers with new seals and stainless pistons. But by the time you've done all that you'll be at the thick end of 600 quid and they still wont be all that.

My advice is bite the bullet and get yourself a set of AP 4pots with 2 piece bells and discs, expensive but worth every penny, keep the old 4 pots and re -fit them if you sell the car and sell the AP's separately, you'll lose about £400 over your ownership which is less than you'll spend on ******* about with the standard Subaru 4pots, that quite frankly are not up to the job and you'll have some of the best brakes money can buy.
Old 25 July 2015, 08:20 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mostly depends on what you are planning on doing with the car and what condition they are in now.........

front 4pots are known for seizing due to the cast iron bodies corroding (not the pistons as commonly mentioned) but can and will work at a reasonable level, also make sure the rear of the car is working correctly or this over loads the fronts and causes further issues