Sponsored by:

Alloy Wheels - Inspiration Needed

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2015, 08:33 AM
Gurj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alloy Wheels - Inspiration Needed

All being well I will have circa £5-600 to spend on a set of alloys after this weekend and don't know what wheels to get.

They need to be 5x100 fitment and fit over Brembos (ideally with no arch work).

I have been looking at XXR527s and Japan Racing JR11 (which look pretty similar and are priced about the same too)
would love some roat grid drift, but too much, so what do you lot have? what wheels would you suggest I look at too?
Old 21 July 2015, 09:17 AM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Millennium revolutions in gold. Clear brembos okay and rsr on here was selling them.
Old 21 July 2015, 09:33 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

With xxr you'll need to run coilovers, arch rolled and possibly camber bolts

Martin
Old 21 July 2015, 09:42 AM
Gurj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imprezagaz
Millennium revolutions in gold. Clear brembos okay and rsr on here was selling them.
are these 17 or 18 inch alloys?
Old 21 July 2015, 09:57 AM
Gurj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M2RTXhawkeye
With xxr you'll need to run coilovers, arch rolled and possibly camber bolts

Martin

Don't tell me that, I have been told that they xxr527 will fit straight on with no issue. think the fitment was 18x8.75J.

Car is currently on Prodrive blue Springs, so slightly lower than std wrx springs.

Japan Racing on the other hand can be bought in 8.5j fitment, would that still require some arch work?
Old 21 July 2015, 10:21 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gurj
Don't tell me that, I have been told that they xxr527 will fit straight on with no issue. think the fitment was 18x8.75J.

Car is currently on Prodrive blue Springs, so slightly lower than std wrx springs.

Japan Racing on the other hand can be bought in 8.5j fitment, would that still require some arch work?
I'd go 8.5 if you don't want to do any arch work mate, some people have got lucky but most will tell you anything around 8.75 will rub the rear arches on hard cornering... Had them on my last Scooby wouldn't go there again as the ride quality is comprised alot..... Look good though

Name:  AD79AB6B-510D-4C52-B380-E867FD271CBB.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  93.2 KB
Name:  6BF5198C-E0F1-425E-86C1-B27B2384083E.jpg
Size:  134.2 KB

Martin
Old 21 July 2015, 10:35 AM
Gurj
Scooby Regular

I'd go 8.5 if you don't want to do any arch work mate, some people have got lucky but most will tell you anything around 8.75 will rub the rear arches on hard cornering... Had them on my last Scooby wouldn't go there again as the ride quality is comprised alot..... Look good though

Martin
They do look pretty awesome in those photos. love how they pretty much line up with the body (hated that my old alloys didn't)

Is it just the rear arches that are the issue then? fronts fine even on full lock?

I have a mate that has a Arch rolling kit, so could roll the rears, but would that be enough to fit 8.75 wheels without affecting drivability / comfort? I don't want to **** about with camber, spacers or any of that ****.
Old 21 July 2015, 10:50 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

They do look pretty awesome in those photos. love how they pretty much line up with the body (hated that my old alloys didn't)

Is it just the rear arches that are the issue then? fronts fine even on full lock?

I have a mate that has a Arch rolling kit, so could roll the rears, but would that be enough to fit 8.75 wheels without affecting drivability / comfort? I don't want to **** about with camber, spacers or any of that ****.
Yep fronts will be fine rears rub, I had to have my rears rolled... They'll only look good if you drop the height on coilovers though mate...

I had a fast road geo so needed camber bolts but am sure you can get away with not using them.. They do look awesome I loved the look, although prefer the 17's for handling now

Martin
Old 21 July 2015, 11:05 AM
Gurj
Scooby Regular

Yep fronts will be fine rears rub, I had to have my rears rolled... They'll only look good if you drop the height on coilovers though mate...

I had a fast road geo so needed camber bolts but am sure you can get away with not using them.. They do look awesome I loved the look, although prefer the 17's for handling now

Martin
fair point, I'm currently running 17 inch sti wheels yeah there is a lot more comfort, just not the look I'm after.

this is what my car looks like on 18s, I know there is a gap but not a massive one - don't want to go down the coilover route

Name:  Scooby4.jpg
Size:  72.2 KB
Old 21 July 2015, 11:16 AM
Soup
Scooby Regular

Martin
Is there a big difference in the handling on 17's ?
Old 21 July 2015, 11:28 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

fair point, I'm currently running 17 inch sti wheels yeah there is a lot more comfort, just not the look I'm after.

this is what my car looks like on 18s, I know there is a gap but not a massive one - don't want to go down the coilover route

Looks good that mate.. Am still sure even with lowering springs the xxr won't look right... If there's too big of a gap in the arch it'll look silly with wide wheels...

Maybe do a search am sure there was a thread which shows the xxr on standard shocks n lowering springs.. With 18's you'll feel more road surface, I've had both n prefer 17's for handling 18's for looks

Martin
Old 21 July 2015, 11:35 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Without coilovers

Name:  2290C68F-3A17-4F08-ADEB-89904B7B1B0C.png.jpeg
Size:  71.9 KB

Quick google image

Martin
Old 21 July 2015, 11:36 AM
Gurj
Scooby Regular

Looks good that mate.. Am still sure even with lowering springs the xxr won't look right... If there's too big of a gap in the arch it'll look silly with wide wheels...

Maybe do a search am sure there was a thread which shows the xxr on standard shocks n lowering springs.. With 18's you'll feel more road surface, I've had both n prefer 17's for handling 18's for looks

Martin

a friend is running the xxr527s on his sport on std springs etc and the arch gap is huge, the blue prodrive springs I think drop the suspension down circa 25mm all around compared with standard, so I think they will look good, that said if I went lower they would look awesome.
Old 21 July 2015, 11:45 AM
Gurj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Soup
Is there a big difference in the handling on 17's ?
on 17s the ride is much more comfortable than on 18s (larger tyre wall) also the car was designed with 17s as standard.

but 18s look much better, less arch gap, but not as comfortable.
Old 21 July 2015, 11:47 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

a friend is running the xxr527s on his sport on std springs etc and the arch gap is huge, the blue prodrive springs I think drop the suspension down circa 25mm all around compared with standard, so I think they will look good, that said if I went lower they would look awesome.
Your car mate you choose what's best and if you like it go for it.. I really fell in love with the xxr when I first seen them although a lot of people will say they're cheap and nasty.. Liked them so much had them on the impreza and the Forester

Name:  BFDDF6AD-3399-487A-A31B-95D5A1A1A1C2_1.jpg
Size:  124.6 KB

Martin
Old 21 July 2015, 11:59 AM
Gurj
Scooby Regular

nice,

Prodrive springs are actually 25mm front and 30mm rear drop.
https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...mited-run.html

that shows the drop pretty well.

That's just greedy, low the forester but damn those are some huge arches and even those wheels look lost in them from that picture.

Think I will be going for Japan Racing JR11 alloys tbh atm as better range of fitment for my car.
Old 21 July 2015, 12:04 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

nice,

Prodrive springs are actually 25mm front and 30mm rear drop.
https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...mited-run.html

that shows the drop pretty well.

That's just greedy, low the forester but damn those are some huge arches and even those wheels look lost in them from that picture.

Think I will be going for Japan Racing JR11 alloys tbh atm as better range of fitment for my car.
Lol it got lowered on tein coilovers

Name:  108F204B-F561-4F44-943F-5211CEDDC821.jpg
Size:  93.0 KB

Long gone now though

Martin
Old 21 July 2015, 06:11 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

another vote for Revolution Milleniums here, they look superb imo

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/6845/sti019.jpg
Old 21 July 2015, 07:00 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Do you want looks or go?

18s for show, skinny tyres and needs coilovers and dropping to look decent, but then the handling and comfort is ruined.

17s with proper sized tyres and a good gel, can't beat on a newage. And if you add coilovers to this then handling will improve and won't wallow like 18s do and still look great at a set ride height.

Your choice
Old 21 July 2015, 07:03 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Do you want looks or go?

18s for show, skinny tyres and needs coilovers and dropping to look decent, but then the handling and comfort is ruined.

17s with proper sized tyres and a good gel, can't beat on a newage. And if you add coilovers to this then handling will improve and won't wallow like 18s do and still look great at a set ride height.

Your choice
Exactly what Busta said...

This is now my set up b14 bilstein coilovers with forged bbs wheels, 17's great for handling

Name:  EBED01A3-60E9-46F0-864A-ABE181E4A752.jpg
Size:  268.4 KB

Martin
Old 21 July 2015, 07:10 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

This is now my set up b14 bilstein coilovers with forged bbs wheels, 17's great for handling

Martin
^^^^ you see, perfect stance without compromise
You need some ce28s on there
Old 21 July 2015, 07:12 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Plus 17s are more chuckable and nimble, quicker reactions etc
Old 21 July 2015, 07:21 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

^^^^ you see, perfect stance without compromise
You need some ce28s on there
Cheers dude would love some ce28s, dreamy wheels but way too pricey for me

Martin
Old 21 July 2015, 08:14 PM
samSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

All being well I will have circa £5-600 to spend on a set of alloys after this weekend and don't know what wheels to get.

They need to be 5x100 fitment and fit over Brembos (ideally with no arch work).

I have been looking at XXR527s and Japan Racing JR11 (which look pretty similar and are priced about the same too)
would love some roat grid drift, but too much, so what do you lot have? what wheels would you suggest I look at too?
U can get grids for 600 but not brand new ones
Old 21 July 2015, 08:38 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Got bronze 18inch revolution milleniums on mine. Look great and lowered on tein sprins(-40mm) with no probs. They bronze at min but im thinking of goin black or bright green.
Old 23 July 2015, 01:26 AM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

I vote 18s with shorter sidewall will give sharper steering response there also usualy wider which gives much more confidence when cornering hard. And a more plated feel when crusing and on motorway

Lower offset wheels will give wider track and improve haneling

On standard setup theres very little difference in ride quality dont know how people are saying there much harsher

Last edited by south_scoob; 23 July 2015 at 01:29 AM.
Old 23 July 2015, 07:43 AM
Gurj
Scooby Regular

Martin

that does look awesome, but atm I just can't justify the expense of coilovers as I would not buy any second hand, only new as too many friends have had issues with 2nd hand ones.

Plus 17s are more chuckable and nimble, quicker reactions etc

I agree, I do love how my car handles in general on 17s but just not a fan of the look of it atm.

Originally Posted by south_scoob
I vote 18s with shorter sidewall will give sharper steering response there also usualy wider which gives much more confidence when cornering hard. And a more plated feel when crusing and on motorway

Lower offset wheels will give wider track and improve haneling

On standard setup theres very little difference in ride quality dont know how people are saying there much harsher

I appreciate that 18's will require a smaller sidewall but 40 is the lowest I would personally go, have some mates that run 35 and the ride is pretty harsh in comparison to the std 17s.

For me the difference between the 17's and 18s was noticeable, but then you could say my car is not on standard springs (prodrive blue)
Old 23 July 2015, 10:01 AM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

that does look awesome, but atm I just can't justify the expense of coilovers as I would not buy any second hand, only new as too many friends have had issues with 2nd hand ones.

I agree, I do love how my car handles in general on 17s but just not a fan of the look of it atm.

I appreciate that 18's will require a smaller sidewall but 40 is the lowest I would personally go, have some mates that run 35 and the ride is pretty harsh in comparison to the std 17s.

For me the difference between the 17's and 18s was noticeable, but then you could say my car is not on standard springs (prodrive blue)
40 is still a massive improvment over the wallowy 45 on the stock 17s more steering responce espicaly when chucking it about and changing direcrion you can feel the less flex in my experience