Sponsored by:

Which one would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2015, 11:42 PM
lcs_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one would you choose?

I'm finally gonna take the plunge and get myself another classic. I've found a few I like and want to go and have a look tomorrow. Any thoughts on these?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201506064093481

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111714987728

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=141695049049
Old 18 July 2015, 08:37 AM
Richardweasel
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There all from dealers! Better to get one privately from an enthusiast that has looked after it well!
Old 18 July 2015, 09:38 AM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The mica red one has rust bubbling up around the rear arches and this is bound to be the tip of the ice berg.

There's not much info on the blue one and the dealer hasn't got any feedback yet. The mileage is also the highest though if properly looked after not such an issue.

I was going to say the silver one looks the best bet but the bumper on the n/s isn't flush with the body and it may be the light but the rear door n/s looks two different shades of silver?

As said I'd be tempted to go for an enthusiast owned car, perhaps with brake and suspension upgrades - a good platform then for a remap, or turbo/remap upgrade.
Old 18 July 2015, 09:48 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep I can see the rust on the red one so that's a £1/1.5k bill from the off, blue one looks like it may have had the rear arches touched up on one of the pics and you can bet the silver one ain't much different with them all being UK cars.

All asking strong money too IMO, they're all 1500 quid cars if you ask me, which is probably still over 500 quid more than the dealers gave for them.

If I was looking to spend that sort of money on a Classic I'd be looking at the very least Imported wrx's another grand could see you in a half decent STI, considering rust is going to be your main problem with UK cars, just about any one you buy is going to have issues not too far around the corner, that's as above going to cost you 1500 ish to sort, I'd rater spend that on a better condition, better spec, more desirable car to start with.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 18 July 2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 18 July 2015, 11:22 AM
lcs_turbo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the responses guys.

I agree that they are all strong money, but I've been watching the usual places over the past few months and all the half decent ones seem to be around £3.5k (which is my budget). The ones I've seen around £2k are really tatty/patchy history/bad mods...

I've seen some advertised at £6-7k, and they don't look any better than these - It seems these mad asking prices are just pushing the average ones higher.
Old 18 July 2015, 12:09 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a waiting game I'm afraid, good thing is while you're waiting, you're saving money.

Honestly pal, take your time and make sure you get the right car, they do still come up, every now and then we see a corker at reasonable money, and they are definitely worth waiting for.

OK I know what it's like when you want something, but it's better to wait with these cars and have the cash ready, then when one does pop up, don't faff about asking silly questions like some do, get in there, cash in hand and get it bought, much better than buying one that's going to cost you another £1500+ to sort out and your still left with a £3k car, that tbh ain't the best place to put your money, and will probably need other stuff doing as well.

There have been a couple of decent STI's over the past 6/8months not too far off your budget, so just save a bit more and bide your time.
Old 18 July 2015, 12:52 PM
Richardweasel
Scooby Regular

There's a type R on eBay for 5500 that seems tidy and well looked after
Old 18 July 2015, 12:53 PM
Richardweasel
Scooby Regular

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271932416500&globalID=EB AY-GB
Old 18 July 2015, 01:43 PM
WokaImp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Yep I can see the rust on the red one so that's a £1/1.5k bill from the off
I bought a classic about 14 months ago. The only body work issues were similar to the red car, regarding bubbling on rear arches.
Two months ago I got the arches rolled...and off comes the paint. Ooops!
I took it to a classic car restoration place last Monday, picked it up 3 hrs ago. Rusty arches? What rusty arches?! They've done a very professional job on both replacing the rusty arches and the paint job. I'm over the moon.
Was quoted £700, but when I got the invoice this morning...grand total of...*drum roll*...£580

Edit: Started a thread with a link to SH Restorations who did the work: https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...l#post11712491

Last edited by WokaImp; 18 July 2015 at 01:51 PM.