ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

sti type uk or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2015, 09:47 PM
3drcos
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sti type uk or not?

hello all I have a subaru sti 2005 model dccd widetrack, now all my previous sti type uk spec's have always stated type uk on the v5 but this one just states subaru and thats it chassis number starts with JF1GDB,I have been told its a type uk any help
Old 05 July 2015, 10:53 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 3drcos
hello all I have a subaru sti 2005 model dccd widetrack, now all my previous sti type uk spec's have always stated type uk on the v5 but this one just states subaru and thats it chassis number starts with JF1GDB,I have been told its a type uk any help

The Applied Model Code is on the plate on the OSF top mount.

If it says GDBE4EH then it's JDM. If not it's a UK model.

The give away is a rear wiper, if you have one then again you are quid's in as it's JDM. If not your back to a poverty spec UK car.
Old 05 July 2015, 11:11 PM
3drcos
Scooby Newbie

thanks mate looks like its a uk spec as there is no rear viper just dont understand why it does not state sti type uk on v5 or this something common
Old 05 July 2015, 11:19 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

thanks mate looks like its a uk spec as there is no rear viper just dont understand why it does not state sti type uk on v5 or this something common

The good old DVLA

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 06 July 2015 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06 July 2015, 08:00 AM
Matt_STi
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine is UK spec, doesn't mention anything about it on the V5. V5 doesn't mention mine is even a STi.
Old 06 July 2015, 09:15 AM
3drcos
Scooby Newbie

my applied model is GDBEKEH
Old 06 July 2015, 04:43 PM
Soup
Scooby Regular

Just checked my V5 it says impreza wrx sti type uk.DVLA

Might be worth calling them tho.

Last edited by Soup; 06 July 2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06 July 2015, 06:54 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tidy nothing wrong with a UK WRX/STI I would take that over a normal jdm WRX any day of the week, now a JDM WRX/STI may be a different story lol.
Old 06 July 2015, 09:37 PM
K3ogh_sti
Scooby Regular

It could be a parallel import
Old 06 July 2015, 09:53 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

My V5 states Impreza WRX even though its an STI

I do know however that its not a UK car as its a Maltase import.

One very quick and easy way to tell is the alarm, Factory fitted on UK spec none UK spec they were retro fitted and most likely a separate fob (Mine was) and no keypad in the coin tray thing mine was stuck to the top of the windscreen

Strange thing is the registration comes up as a UK STI on insurance search engines
Old 06 July 2015, 09:56 PM
K3ogh_sti
Scooby Regular

Dccd was also an option on maltese imports I believe, and am I right in saying uk 05 sti had ppp as standard ?
Old 06 July 2015, 10:02 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Mine has DCCD (05 STI August 2005), No idea if it was an option or standard as not had it from new.

My UK car I had new in March 2005, I recall came with 3 years servicing, PPP was an option but was advised could get better returns for less money after market.
The offer change later and the PPP was included so some early ones might not have it ??

If it has it there was a certificate with it too.
Old 06 July 2015, 10:15 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by K3ogh_sti
Dccd was also an option on maltese imports I believe, and am I right in saying uk 05 sti had ppp as standard ?
PPP wasn't standard on 05 STIs
Old 06 July 2015, 10:44 PM
Barxy
Scooby Regular

PPP was an option, but DCCD was standard on UK widetracks.

You'll know its a UK as it will sound like a proper Subaru and have that famous burble.

Plus, at least you will have history you can read, and can do a full HPI check. Never know what you're getting when you import a 10 year old car from Japan, cant do a HPI and cant read any of the history if you are lucky enough to get some!
Old 06 July 2015, 11:05 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Barxy
PPP was an option, but DCCD was standard on UK widetracks.

You'll know its a UK as it will sound like a proper Subaru and have that famous burble.

Plus, at least you will have history you can read, and can do a full HPI check. Never know what you're getting when you import a 10 year old car from Japan, cant do a HPI and cant read any of the history if you are lucky enough to get some!

Euro imports have the burble too, only JDM's don't. As previous post suggested easy to identify by rear wiper and as you say the sound ( That is what put me off a JDM when I test drove one, didn't sound like a Scooby)

If like mine the car was imported from Europe new (Many were around 2005) then it has all the same history and paperwork as a UK car, just a few differences in spec.
Old 06 July 2015, 11:27 PM
Barxy
Scooby Regular

Yeah i agree, one my favourity things about my STI is the burble it makes, cant get enough of it, would never want to own a jap version that does have that sound.

Only thing that puts me off maltease imports is most dont have the DCCD.
Glad you're was imported when new at least know its full history, have the jap cars over here are probably accident damaged / repaired with no way of telling (unless you can spot the repairs, by then i guess its too late after importing it!)
Old 07 July 2015, 12:41 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

That was the thing I missed instantly when I sold it in 2009, as it drove away it sounded awesome, instantly I wanted it back.

I think the guy who sold it to me was in much the boat as the OP as he advertised it as a UK car, but as soon as I saw the alarm fob I knew it wasn't.
Didn't bother me as all the paperwork was there from original purchase, MOT's service documents and receipts etc...
No difference to insure either.

I had that with a JDM I went to view at Hurst cars, The guy had said there was evidence of a repair at the rear, When I viewed it the repair wasn't good in my opinion, Bumper was a different white to car, Rear window had been replaced and rear shelf was damp, Spoiler had been badly refitted. No signs of any re-welding or major panel damage but without any insurance paperwork or real traceability I wasn't prepared to go for it, Plus it just didn't sound like a Scooby !!
Old 07 July 2015, 11:30 AM
3drcos
Scooby Newbie

ok so no rear viper on mine definitely sounds like a subaru should has the dccd also has two normal subaru keys but has a seperate alarm fob anyway the car sounds amazing will be putting it up for sale this week as I purchased a 3dr cosworth shame as I i wanted to keep it for a while but dont want to have two toys
Old 07 July 2015, 11:37 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

ok so no rear viper on mine definitely sounds like a subaru should has the dccd also has two normal subaru keys but has a seperate alarm fob anyway the car sounds amazing will be putting it up for sale this week as I purchased a 3dr cosworth shame as I i wanted to keep it for a while but dont want to have two toys
Depends on the separate alarm, if its a Sigma chances are its a Euro import as they were retro fitted with them, If its anything decent like Clifford or Toad then it could be a security conscious previous owner.

Like previous posts not any difference between the two other than the original cost when new and wouldn't put anyone off buying it.

It has all the toys an 05 widetrack should have so no problem.
Old 07 July 2015, 11:54 AM
Matt_STi
Scooby Regular

Hold on, so a type UK and Maltese import are different? I always assumed mine was UK, but after speaking to a Subaru dealer, they said its a Maltese import.

Mine doesn't have DCCD (doesn't bother me) has the sigma alarm on windscreen, separate fob. 2005 STI
Old 07 July 2015, 12:21 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matt_STi
Hold on, so a type UK and Maltese import are different? I always assumed mine was UK, but after speaking to a Subaru dealer, they said its a Maltese import.

Mine doesn't have DCCD (doesn't bother me) has the sigma alarm on windscreen, separate fob. 2005 STI
Yeah a few difference, Purchase price for the original owner was the big one, I remember looking into it in 2005 when I had one new and it was significant the difference between the two, a few companies were bringing them over, and like mine they were registered in the UK from new so paperwork all the same.

I think in addition to the alarm being added once in the UK I recall they were under sealed too as that wasn't done.

The reason I went UK in the end was the debate about the warranty, there had been issues when I had my Clio 172 previous with owners who had brought euro imports and the dealers refusing to honour warranty's as they weren't UK cars.

I took my Sigma off this car for a Clifford, which I would of done anyway so no difference to me, I also have a different coloured centre console surround than my old UK, that was silver this is more gun metal grey.
I prefer it personally but don't know if its been done later or was as delivered, looks a genuine part, i.e. not sprayed.
Old 07 July 2015, 12:24 PM
Matt_STi
Scooby Regular

Oh right. I don't really mind if its a Maltese import, UK spec, JDM, its perfect for what I want it for so that's all that matters to me.

So if it's a sti but the V5 says WRX, can I insure it as WRX? lol
Old 07 July 2015, 12:32 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

I was the same, really didn't mind it was an import, Like I said previously the guy who sold it me had no idea it was from Malta lol

The mileage and condition and colour were perfect for what I was looking for

As I said previously if I go by reg number on insurance search engines it comes up as a UK car but my V5 says WRX so no idea lol

I just told my insurance company what I knew about the car, they said it didn't matter but it was stated as an import.

Just agreed a value of £11K with my insurance company for mine so that's more important to me than where it came from.